• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

A trip to the Carlsbad Flower Fields 4/14

Yesterday my husband and I attended a memorial service for an old friend of mine down in San Marcos which is South of Carlsbad which is South of the Los Angeles/Orange County area (for those of you outside this area). I took my camera along and took some photos as where we got off the 5 freeway to reach the service is right by the Carlsbad Flower Fields. We also stopped there for a few minutes on the way home. We got there just after they closed so my photos were taken from the nursery.

What is the Carlsbad Flower Fields some of you might ask? Well to quote from their website "The Flowers Fields is the only commercial ranunculus field in the world that is open to the public." In years past one could see these fields from the 5 freeway on the way down to San Diego and there were open fields all around. Not anymore. There is now a commercial row of businesses like Starbucks, etc. built right in front of it and up on the hill behind the fields are commercial buildings and a hotel. Behind that is Lego Land which you can not see from the fields. That whole area is all built up now with businesses, houses and condos. The only open area of land left between Orange County and San Diego now is the Camp Pendelton Marine Base. For me it's kind of sad but that's progress I guess.

So here we go. This is the first view we had from the car of the fields off of Palomar Airport Road.

In the morning at our house the sky was blue and the sun shining. As the day progressed the clouds came in so by the time we got here, around 2:20 PM, it was overcast. The traffic in the area was heavy as there were lots of people going to the flower fields.

As we continued East I noticed some fields that had been planted on the side.

The I realized they had planted the flowers to form the American flag.

We went to the memorial service and then arrived back in the flower field area around 6 PM. This is on the corner where you turn to get there.

The rest of these photos were taken from inside the Armstrong Nursery area of the fields. There is more to these fields then I was able to take pictures of from my location. Notice the hotel at the top of the hill.

I had to take a photo of the cut ranunculus so you can see what they look like up close.

This statue was outside of Armstrong nursery.

On the way back home instead of getting on the 5 freeway right away we took the coastal route through Carlsbad and Oceanside before getting on the freeway. I like this place we passed in Carlsbad called The Ocean House.

And so we wend our way home North to the Long Beach area with the sun setting in the West.

THE END

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

Re: A trip to the Carlsbad Flower Fields 4/14

Very pretty flowers!!!
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I remember the flower fields vividly from when I was a kid... and that was a very long time ago. There were no buildings in the area then, and the fields' colorful display was even more vivid. It's nice that they continue to survive.

Vic and I visited the flower fields a couple of years ago and they are still stunning.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Hug a Billy

All the build up around them has kind of taken away from the splendor. It was so amazing to come upon this field of flowers out there with nothing around them. It still is beautiful but some of the magic is gone. Very popular! The traffic was intense.

• Minion

those flowers are beautiful, and I love that house. Is is a guest house or something (I noticed the OPEN sign)

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I love flowers! Thanks for sharing!

• Hug a Billy

Quote Originally Posted by tassie View Post
    ...I love that house. Is is a guest house or something (I noticed the OPEN sign)
    It is a restaurant that also does weddings, banquets and corporate stuff. I did a search and here is a link. On the home page there is a history of the place and Carlsbad in general. Kind of interesting.

http://www.oceanhousecarlsbad.com/

• Senior Minion

I love flowers and I just think of all the hard work it must take to make patterns such as the american flag out of them. Wow!

Thanks for the pics!!!!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Island Paradise

Really nice trip report, Wendygirl. Love all of the details!