Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• my two sunshines

I'm told to: Stop with Disney!

At the mall today with sis-n-law and friend - we're walking around and the Disney store is up the way - I make a comment 'I love the Disney store - hard to pass it up!' I get the STOP WITH DISNEY ALREADY!

Why? I'm not forcing it on anyone - I hardly talk about it at all.......

At breakfast I say - 'When we relocate back to California (to take care of my Dad in later years) I'm going to get a part time job at Disneyland - I have my business, so why not? It'll be fun!' You need to get a real job - why do that? Your ___ years old (okay I was going to say 29 LOL)!

Why not? Whats wrong with it?

My whole family is like this - what is so darn wrong with enjoying something? Disney is not just for little kids - so I don't see the problem? I don't have a lot of Disney stuff in the house, I don't go to the park all the time anymore (In NM can't do that again, yet) I don't talk non-stop about it.....

Some in my family like to travel - thats great! Some like to be involved with their Temple - terrific! But I can't enjoy Disney?

Tell me - why is it soooo wrong??????

It's just so frustrating!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: I'm told to: Stop with Disney!

I think a lot of MiceChatters share your frustration. My parents are the same way, they just don't get it. My friends mock me and my love of Disney.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with it. Disney provides a wholesome and fun alternative to many of our society's more questionable norms these days.

My suggestion? Ignore them. Don't try to explain yourself or your reasons, and don't let them detract from your enjoyment of it.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• I am a Pluto lover

Im lucky, my sisters are as bad as I am about Disney. Its my co-workers who dont get it. The closer I get to my trip the more excited I get and they all roll their eyes any time I mention it. Its a huge bummer. Remember, were here to share in your love!
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• Shablagoo!

I'm lukcy. My family does not give me much grief over it. Several of them enjoy it too. I don't force it on my friends, but they don't mind to some extent. Obviously some are more into it than others.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Some people just don't get it and never will get it. I grew up in a Disney loving family so they understand. My co-workers.... every time I tell them I'm going to Orlando for a weekend they say, "You're going to Disney again?! You're obsessed!" I could see if I went every week but when I go only a few times a year... WTF?

• Oh my Goodness!

Yeah, I understand. I grew up with a Disney family and while I am the "worst" I don't get any grief from them. The people I work with though - just don't get it. I will admit when I started going to DL more often I talked about it a lot - but when I began to realize that that's all people saw, I toned it down. But I am still known as the "disney girl." Now, when I go to the parks and what not I don't bring it up. Now that I have MiceChat I have a place to unload my excitment...and no one else has to deal with it if they don't want to.
    We understand.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Just hang with all of us, Trac. We all understand!

• Minion

I gave "Disney Fever" to my friend, Daniel. He purchased an annual pass with his family last year and we go a few times a month with them, and they LOVE IT!

My mom and little brother don't get it though. But luckly my dad does and loves going with me

• Senior Minion

None of my friends or family understand my love for Disney, which is why I am grateful for MC!!!!!!
    You are NEVER too old for anything Disney, imo.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by cpdisneyprincess View Post
    Yeah, I understand. I grew up with a Disney family and while I am the "worst" I don't get any grief from them. The people I work with though - just don't get it. I will admit when I started going to DL more often I talked about it a lot - but when I began to realize that that's all people saw, I toned it down. But I am still known as the "disney girl." Now, when I go to the parks and what not I don't bring it up. Now that I have MiceChat I have a place to unload my excitment...and no one else has to deal with it if they don't want to.
    We understand.
    I know what you are talking about. The same thing happened at a job I once had. I'll never forget one day when I was wearing a WDW shirt some random person I had never met came up to me and said "No one else seems to care, but I bet you will. I'm going to Disneyland next week". We had a great conversation about the whole subject. I was alos lucky because another person I worked with was a big Disney nut. Her brother was a mechanic in the park and eventually he go to play the Beast. He married a gal who played Belle a few years later. She was someone I could always go visit when I had an upcomign Disney trip. In fact one time I would tease her about how many days left until my upcoming trip. Eventually It became a kind of game and she avoided me in the hallways. Then I got another friend of mine to just go up to her and say "7 days". And she was like "Huh?" And my other friend told her what it meant and she laughed so hard. That was fun time. Sorry if I got off topic.

• So fetch

I hear it all the time from family and friends. I was teased so much for participating in gumball rally last year. I had such a great weekend and it ended with me driving home in tears because of the remarks people made. It took that for me to realize that some people aren't going to get it and I'm not going to waste my time explaining myself to them.

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I think a lot of MiceChatters share your frustration. My parents are the same way, they just don't get it. My friends mock me and my love of Disney.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with it. Disney provides a wholesome and fun alternative to many of our society's more questionable norms these days.

My suggestion? Ignore them. Don't try to explain yourself or your reasons, and don't let them detract from your enjoyment of it.
    This is SO true!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsLilo View Post
    I hear it all the time from family and friends. I was teased so much for participating in gumball rally last year. I had such a great weekend and it ended with me driving home in tears because of the remarks people made. It took that for me to realize that some people aren't going to get it and I'm not going to waste my time explaining myself to them.
    LuvsLilo, that's terrible! I'm so sorry they were such jerks to you - just not very cool at all.

As for me - I'm very, very lucky in that nobody I know really gives me any grief about my love of Disney. They may not "get" it, but they get the whole "to each his/her own" thing. Heck my own hubby doesn't really understand why I'm dying to get an AP so badly, but at least he doesn't make fun of me for it.
    She did it!

• my two sunshines

Ahhhh thanks guys - My whole family gives me grief! I'm thinking, I don't drink (very very little), I don't smoke, i don't take drugs, I don't date random guys and bring them home - I live a really clean life and I work and at home and take care of my kids - so a little Disney fun is so bad?

Heck my kids grew up at the park - it was better than letting them run wild at the mall!

<sigh> Anyways - the remark just kinda got to me today - I know it wasn't done in malice - but still......

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Trac, do you and I share the same family? Wow..I mean I'm reading your stories and think..this is MY family. I'm a good person, don't do drugs, work hard, pay my own bills....only mistake I made was not listening to my family and marrying the wrong guy...but I remedied that soon enough. Yet, my family still pretty much treat me like dirt and are so mean and hateful to me with their comments and think that they have the right to say stuff like this because they've helped me out once or twice...and I quote my mother "I've had to save you financially twice so I have the right to treat you mean.."

WTF!

*sigh* I know what you are going through to an extent. But I also know I've said this on the boards before that I have just recently mastered the Jedi Art of IGNORE. I smile and nod when stupid comments are said about me going to Disneyland and taking my son. And actually it kinda is starting to work. The comments have diminished greatly.

I've also had these comments from non-family members and ignore it to...but if it persists...then they asked for my wrath and I retaliate with something like "sorry that you are so jealous that you can't find your happy place...why don't you be a wet blanket somewhere else"

I know ignore mode is hard to switch to but you have us!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trac View Post
    Ahhhh thanks guys - My whole family gives me grief! I'm thinking, I don't drink (very very little), I don't smoke, i don't take drugs, I don't date random guys and bring them home - I live a really clean life and I work and at home and take care of my kids - so a little Disney fun is so bad?

Heck my kids grew up at the park - it was better than letting them run wild at the mall!

<sigh> Anyways - the remark just kinda got to me today - I know it wasn't done in malice - but still......
    I think the next time one of them 'halts' you, bring this up. Tell them that you are an 'above board' person and that you don't really drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs and are very selective in yoru dating and lead a clean life - and that they should be Happy you love Disney and to lay off.

Maybe if you tell them this way, the might see it from a different perspective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast