A MAN has died after being bitten on the finger by a snake in central Victoria.
Police said the 37-year-old man was looking for scorpions at Mt Alexander, near Castlemaine, at about 2.30pm (AEST) today when he was bitten on the finger by a Whip snake.
A short time later the man, from Pascoe Vale in Melbourne, began to feel woozy and his friend went to their car to call an ambulance.
He returned to find the man had collapsed.
Ambulance officers were unable to revive the man, who died at the scene.
Police are preparing a report for the coroner.
Paramedics said the man was aware he had been bitten and had wrapped it in a handkerchief and they were intending to return to the car to seek medical help.
The snake, measuring about 30cm and less than 1cm in diameter, was captured by the two men and taken back to their car.
The Museum of Victoria lists the little whip snake as a species common to central Victoria and not considered dangerous to adults.
"Envenomation will cause only minor swelling, unless the victim experiences an allergic reaction to the venom," Museum Victoria information says
. A bite from a large Yellow-faced Whip Snake may produce painful local reactions, but the snake is not normally considered dangerous