Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

• Banned User

Re: Virginia Tech Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by opherrichards View Post
    Yes, this is a terrible ocurrance, and all my wishes go to the families with lost members but surely this wouldn't of happened if guns were not easily available in the US.
    In the UK hardly anyone has a gun, as there is no really need to have one. I believe people have them for shooting in the countryside etc, but they are not easily available on the streets. Plus it is illegal to walk around in public with a firearm. But yes at the moment we seem to have a wave of knife stabbings, but on the news today some company is making stab proof hoodie for chavs to wear so when stabbed they dont die (okay...).
    Now if give out guns to everyone possible that wants to have one, why does that person want to have one? Okay if it is for the countryside and shooting at animals (that are not endangered) that is fine, and at shooting ranges (as long as the guns stay at the shooting ranges) that would be safer. I understand that it is your right to have a gun, but why do you need one? You have one to protect yourself? But surely if other people didnt have guns then you wouldnt need one also.
    People are also saying why wasnt the university close and send all the pupils home after the first attack, to prevent the large death count on the second, but surely if there wasnt the ability to get the gun in the first place, then none of this would of happened.
    If you allow guns to be sold to anyone, then what do you expect them to be used for? I think you need to change your laws, although this maybe be contraversial, it needs considering deeply.
    Those participating in this thread wish to exclude the gun debate. If you'd like to discuss, stop by El Box de Litter. There's a thread there.

• Smile, It's Free!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Those participating in this thread wish to exclude the gun debate. If you'd like to discuss, stop by El Box de Litter. There's a thread there.
    Sorry, I only read a hand full of the posts.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by opherrichards View Post
    Yes, this is a terrible ocurrance, and all my wishes go to the families with lost members but surely this wouldn't of happened if guns were not easily available in the US.
    In the UK hardly anyone has a gun, as there is no really need to have one. I believe people have them for shooting in the countryside etc, but they are not easily available on the streets. Plus it is illegal to walk around in public with a firearm. But yes at the moment we seem to have a wave of knife stabbings, but on the news today some company is making stab proof hoodie for chavs to wear so when stabbed they dont die (okay...).
    Now if give out guns to everyone possible that wants to have one, why does that person want to have one? Okay if it is for the countryside and shooting at animals (that are not endangered) that is fine, and at shooting ranges (as long as the guns stay at the shooting ranges) that would be safer. I understand that it is your right to have a gun, but why do you need one? You have one to protect yourself? But surely if other people didnt have guns then you wouldnt need one also.
    People are also saying why wasnt the university close and send all the pupils home after the first attack, to prevent the large death count on the second, but surely if there wasnt the ability to get the gun in the first place, then none of this would of happened.
    If you allow guns to be sold to anyone, then what do you expect them to be used for? I think you need to change your laws, although this maybe be contraversial, it needs considering deeply.

You might have missed it, but we, as a community, kind of agreed to leave any political, pro/anti gun message, theory, etc. for another time/place. We are trying to focus on the human factor here, and not deconstruct the issue.

• That Guy

Oh sorry, Jazz beat me to the punch.

No worries!

• Yeah...I'm cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I agree.

• Banned User

in honor of everyone, we have a moment of silence each hour on the air today... (each DJ did one..)

7a.m. - 2p.m. est

so sad... a lot of floridian universities are having vigils tonight or tomorrow night.

• in technicolor!

I was on my way to class when I heard what had happened. My professor's daughter attends VT and she had cancelled class. My friend and I went to the lounge where there was a big group of students crowded around the TV. We were all shocked. We heard today that her daughter was fine, thank goodness.

As a college student, this is truly eye opening. Our generation has been through a lot but this hit close to home. I have friends all over the country. This could have happened anywhere. It could have been any of us. I called each of my best friends and made sure that they were feeling ok and also to make sure they knew I loved them.

My heart aches for each and every one of the victims and my heart goes out to them and their families. This was a truly saddening day for everyone.

• Banned User

Horrifying. Every time this happens I wish the shooter had just done themselves in before killing and injuring countless others. Such a tragic situation.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Today they are releasing images and stories from the package Cho mailed NBC News.

Apparently it was sent inbetween the shootings! Earlier reports also state he contacted NBC during this 'inbetween' time as well.

• Pilot EdForceOne

And here is a clip that explains more the story behind why the Police originally thought the first shooter was leaving the state...

CNN quoted from a search warrant affidavit on Wednesday that showed police suspected a different man of the first murders. The network said police had been told by a student that the boyfriend of murdered Emily Hilscher had recently taken her to a shooting range, and assumed he was the main suspect. They were interviewing him outside the campus when Cho began his classroom rampage.

• Pilot EdForceOne

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070419/tv_nm/massacre_dc_1

The large, oversized envelope -- which was sent by Cho from a Blacksburg, Va., post office by Express Mail on Monday shortly before the second stage of the killings -- was sent to NBC at "30 Rockefeller Avenue" and included the wrong ZIP code that kept it from arriving at the network until Wednesday morning.

The return address was noticed by a suspicious letter carrier who was delivering the package to 30 Rockefeller Center and notified NBC security. The network, which six years ago suffered a security breach when an anthrax-laced letter was sent to NBC News by still-unknown assailants, opened the package with gloves and other measures to keep employees safe and everything intact.

Inside the envelope were two items: a DVD that included 27 QuickTime video files of about 10 minutes total, an audio segment and 43 still photographs apparently made by Cho plus a 23-page document with words and pictures. One photograph showed Cho aiming two handguns. The computer files were created as many as six days before Monday's rampage

• Pilot EdForceOne

apparently the two who were shot in the dorm were a resident and her RA

One neighbor of one of the first two victims, Ryan Clark, 22, and Emily Jane Hilscher, 19, described on ABC's "Good Morning America" what she saw that morning in the dormitory, Ambler Johnson Hall.

"I heard a really loud female voice scream. I opened my door and that's when I saw the blood and the footprints, the sneaker-prints, leading in a trail from her room," Molly Donahue said.

Then she saw Clark, the resident assistant, on the floor against a door. A friend later told her he was dead.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910