Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Very Personal Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    As far as potentially embarrassing anybody who has posted their personal threads, it was not my intention. If you DO feel embarassed, chances are maybe you should have kept your private issues private.
    Sunny G...Let me just say again that I don't think you were trying to be offensive and I don't think it was your intention to try to embarass anyone who posted personal threads.

However, I don't necessarily agree that if someone does feel embarassed , chances are that maybe they should have kept their private issues private. Yes, there have been a lot of personal issues in the lounge lately , but maybe that's just because people are going through some tough things right now. And yes, maybe some of what people has posted has been what some people consider TMI or something that they personally wouldn't post, but I guess I just don't want to be the one who says something about it online even if I think it unless I already have a good relationship established with the person and they know for certain that I am coming from a place of genuine concern or I have the kind of relationship where I can tease them about something they said that was TMI.

I guess I'm just really sensitive about this aspect of this discussion because of some things that have happened to me in my past in public groups. For example, I was once in a Bunco group with 11 other ladies that was led by a gal I'll call Julie. She was very well liked and so was I . One night , she was talking about all kinds of stuff that I thought was kind of gross and kind of mean...her leaky and crusty nipples from breatfeeding, specifics about her episiotomy that wasn't healing well, what a lousy cook and home decorater she thought another gal from our group was who happened to not be there that night, and how her husband was an abuser and a drug user even though he was neither, she just didn't want to be married to him anymore so was trying to make him sound bad so she wouldn't look bad. I think she was making everyone kind of uncomfortable . Then someone opened a can of mixed nuts and all of a sudden it smelled funny in the room and everyone was kind of giving each other funny looks. I didn't know if someone had farted or it was the nuts so just in case someone had farted and was embarassed I said "those nuts smell like a fart." One of the other gals laughed and said "phew , I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that." Because we'd all been knd of stressed, we all laughed really hard and then threw the nuts away. No biggie. Well apparently Julie had a huge problem with the fact that I had said "The nuts smell like a fart " instead of just saying "The nuts smell." She called everyone and told them that there was no longer going to be a Bunco group , but a scrap booking group instead and that I was not going to be included in it since I had "talked about gross stuff." I found this out a few days later and I was really hurt. And I didn't think there was any reason I should have been embarassed since I didn't think what I said was that bad, nor did anyone else in the group. But then I told some other people what had happened and they did think I should have been embarassed and known better than to say "fart" in a group of ladies!

I still to this day don't think saying fart was any worse than anything Julie said that night! But I'll probably never say the word fart again in that same type of setting just to be safe!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 04-22-2007 at 07:22 PM.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    What are you talking about Neph. Personal stuff? I hate you because you're a Republican.

I'm kidding. I will use that against you one day. Maybe. Or....well, whatever.

That's our Migo.

I haven't posted a great deal of personal info either- yet I can recall when some people went mental because I started a discussion about how to keep a kid safe when their room is in the back and upstairs of my house. I did not post my full name or hers, I did not post my address, I did not post my city, state or anything else that would lead you to my home. Yet people acted like I had just posted all her personal info out there-

This conversation seems to flux between TMI and fear of internet crazies. Frankly sometimes there are threads with TMI-but honestly if you don't like seeing them, don't read them. Then there are the threads and people who reveal too much personal information and may put themselves at risk with crazy people online.

So what is the real problem? Is it that people are sick of the overly personal threads, or are they worried about people putting themselves at risk online?

A little of both- maybe.
    Last edited by Nephythys; 04-22-2007 at 07:26 PM.

• Gay Man

But, PB, do you REALLY want to be friends with people who are so juvenile? I'm always grateful when I realize what little poops these "friends" are. I don't have to expend energy on them any longer.

• Mexihick, y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post

That's our Migo.

Love you, baby.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid View Post
    But, PB, do you REALLY want to be friends with people who are so juvenile? I'm always grateful when I realize what little poops these "friends" are. I don't have to expend energy on them any longer.
    I agree, but that type of thing has happened to me also and it still hurts and at the time made me angry. You are correct though in the lon run I'm glad I found out how they truly were.

• Gay Man

Oh yeah, it hurts, but the hurt soon is replaced by anger and followed by gratitude. I've gotten to a point where I don't need any extra BS in my life. That's freedom!

• Gay Man

Love you, baby.
    You're just spreading the love, Migo!

• Circle of Ancients

It took me all of 30 seconds to figure out the board and the name of both posters. And I don't post on the other board.
    I only figured out one so far!

Just Kidding Sir Clinks...I know what you are saying about not having MC be a place where we talk about other boards/people.

No , not really, I would not want to be friends with people who disliked just because I said/did something they didn't like that wasn't that bad in my opinion . But I 'll tell you something..that day Migo posted about farting in her computer chair and what a loud noise it made , I thought to myself "Julie would have a cow if she was reading this!" Love you Migo even though you talk about farting sometimes!!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 04-22-2007 at 07:52 PM.

• Gay Man

I think I love that "FART" is not filtered.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Wow, you guys are making me feel lucky. I haven't had any friends screw me over since I was in high school!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Mexihick, y'all

Wait. I don't fart in my chair. What's wrong with you folks?!?

• Circle of Ancients

Wait. I don't fart in my chair. What's wrong with you folks?!?

I can find the post as proof if you want!

• Mexihick, y'all

Find it, vixen!!!!

• Hedonist

I guess I don't see the internet as any different than any other public place - psychos, gossips, and annoying people exist in real life too. I don't et the need to be anonymous on the net. I mean, one's address is probably one of the more public bits of information about any of us, and unless you're on the witness protection program or are hiding from a stalker - what's the deal? Are you as paranoid in real life? Do you never have things delivered? send your Christmas cards without a return address? Do invite people over? Don't register to vote?

Yeah, it's easy to forget sometimes that this isn't private - btu I fail to see the need to only interact with a secret identity - unless you're a super hero.

• Gay Man

I AM a super hero!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast