Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Stay At Home Mom's Salary..

Interesting...

The price of a mom: $138,095
    A new report assigns a salary to a stay-at-home mother, based on the jobs she does in a normal week.

According to one new report, $138,095 a year.

That's the figure in a report by Salary.com, which calculates the wages that would have been paid a stay-at-home mom in 2007 if she were compensated for all the elements of her "job." That total is up 3% from 2006's salary of $134,121.

Moms who have jobs outside the house would earn another $85,939 for their mothering work, beyond what they bring home in existing salary.

Talk back: What's your "mom work" worth?

The job descriptions that Salary.com used to determine a mom's salary includes 10 jobs that moms do on an average day: housekeeper, day care center teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager, van driver, CEO and psychologist.

Plenty of overtime
    In calculating a mom's wages, Salary.com looked at the "overtime" that both working and stay-at-home moms put in each week.

"Mom works multiple jobs and rarely gets a break from the action, working an average of 52 hours of overtime," said Bill Coleman, senior vice president at Salary.com, in a statement.

According to the Salary.com survey, stay-at-home moms work a 92-hour week, with more than half the workweek spent in overtime.

Working moms, meanwhile, logged more than nine hours of "overtime," with an average 49-hour "mom" work week -- on top of their full-time paying jobs.

For the Salary.com survey, more than 40,000 moms quantified their hours per job description; Salary.com benchmarked the median salaries for each job to the national median salary for each position as reported by employers.

The final salary was calculated by weighting the salaries and hours worked in each role.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Stay At Home Mom's Salary..

I'll agree.
    Now if I can just get someone to pay this amount to my wife.....

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I honestly think it would be more!

I mean, really imagine that someone was going to HIRE (for real) a woman to do all the jobs of a mother for a year. I mean take care of the kids and home exclusively. What would that woman charge? I really bet that it could be even higher than that.

But yeah, as a SAHM, it sure would be nice for someone to actually PAY me that or for my husband to see me as that valuable.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• most magical vaca ever

I saw this on the news the other day

Who is paying this salary and is it available as retro pay? I'm due about 9+ years now
    ~~~~~~

• Circle of Ancients

So if Belle is a stay-at-home working mom, then she should get more right???

I'll show this to her boss.

Unfortunately, where we live, I don't see the stay-at-home mom's doing 1/2 of this stuff. They meet in their little cliques, go for their "nature" walks and complain that they don't have enough time in the day to "Themselves".

Ugh ...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    So if Belle is a stay-at-home working mom, then she should get more right???

I'll show this to her boss.
    It says for working moms, they are worth $80 something thousand on top of their salary.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Unfortunately, where we live, I don't see the stay-at-home mom's doing 1/2 of this stuff. They meet in their little cliques, go for their "nature" walks and complain that they don't have enough time in the day to "Themselves".

Ugh ...
    I am not sure what that means. If their house and kids are taken care of then they are working a whole hell of a lot. Getting out and meeting with friends is important since they don't have jobs to socialize in, otherwise they stay at home and are isolated.

And NO stay at home mom has enough time for herself. I know I get like an hour a week. And by an hour a week, that is pretty much the time added up I spend in the shower or bath.
    Last edited by TinkPink; 05-04-2007 at 07:16 AM.

• love my friends

Now where is my $$

Friends for life

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post
    I am not sure what that means. If their house and kids are taken care of then they are working a whole hell of a lot. Getting out and meeting with friends is important since they don't have jobs to socialize in, otherwise they stay at home and are isolated.

And NO stay at home mom has enough time for herself. I know I get like an hour a week.
    I'm talking about 2 kinds of Stay at Home mom's.

There is 1 kind, the true Stay-At-Home mom. She takes her kids to school, cooks the breakfast, picks them up for school, cooks dinner ... the things that are mentioned in the article.

These are the ones that deserved $200,000 a year.

When the kids were babies Belle stayed home for 4 years with Baby-Belle and 3 years with Little-Clinks. This was a decision we made regardless of financial factors as we struggled BAD those years.

Then, there are the 'other' ones:

These "Haus-Fraus" as I call them ALL have nannies, Hummers (the car) and really don't do ANYTHING but go to the gym, get their hair done, etc, etc, etc.

When I go to pick up the kids I listen to their conversations about how bad their kids are, how many nannies they have gone through over the last year and complaining that they have to shlep them around on weekends to endless soccer games.

Sorry, but that is not what I'd call a stay at home mom.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Timely topic since Mother's Day is just a week away...

So multiply my wife's salary for being a stay at home mom by four. Four kids are more work than just one. Not enough hours in the day!

Multiply that figure by the almost sixteen years that she has held that "position", and that equals a LOT of money!

But NO AMOUNT OF MONEY can replace the love and care that she shows our kids on a daily basis. Plus she wouldn't have it ANY OTHER WAY.

And neither would I.

Plus, I am the FIRST TO ADMIT that she works a heck of a lot more and harder than I do. My part is easy. Just bring home the bacon.

Moms...You gotta love 'em. And I do!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Just 80K! Pssh! We should get more! I mean- I work than go home and work. I don't get "me" time.

But its all worth it
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Man O Lantern

I figure I'll get plenty of Me Time later in life. Cat's in the Cradle and all that. Now is the time to give to the kids and family.

And I gladly do it for free. And I love every time my husband wants me to get a job, we look at what I'd get paid and how much we'd have to play for very very part-time childcare and I'd make about $400 a month and he'd have to help cook and clean, and guess what? He never wants me to get a job.

• phbbbbbt

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    According to the Salary.com survey, stay-at-home moms work a 92-hour week, with more than half the workweek spent in overtime.
    I get 105 hours a week, but my kids stay up later than most. We homeschool, so even when I'm not actively Momming, I am like, on call.
    xo, Deanna

• Man O Lantern

I made $175K based on where we live.

• Senior Minion

I always admire my friends who are working and then go home to take care of their family. I don't know how they do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast