Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Mexihick, y'all

Re: Cinco de Mayo Plans, Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyRob View Post
    Heck, I celebrate the day every year. I'm in San Diego and have quite a few hispanic friends. They've never said one word about being offended that non-hispanics celebrate Cinco de mayo. I'm also part irish and I don't take offense to people celebrating St. Patricks day nor does my family. We've always thought, the more the merrier.

I will be offended if YOU party, though.

You're in San Diego?

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    Uh. If you would like permission to party like a rock star, I grant thee permission. I shall not be offended with my Mexicanese-ness if you hueros want to tip a brew or nine in my honor. Thanks.

Now that I have your permission, I may crack open a Corona or two.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Mexihick, y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Now that I have your permission, I may crack open a Corona or two.

Indeed, please wear my sombrero, as well.

• That Guy

Si Se Puede!!!!

• Damn Good Burger!

Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I will be offended if YOU party, though.

You're in San Diego?
    But I tan well, thought that was ok in your book.

• That Guy

I'm not a Bunny, but I celebrate Easter.

• Mexihick, y'all

Viva la bun bun!

• New Old Member

I've been going for years now to celebrate Cinco de Mayo at the local Mexican restruants. Never once was I "ID" to see if I was hispanic. Come one come all, time to party! This year I'll be going to our local Ford car dealer. They are having a Cinco de Mayo party offering soda, chips, bbq, music and so on. Speaking of chips, Chip Foose will be there along with a few of his cars. Basically nothing to do with Cinco de Mayo but I love cars so I'll go here and on the way home stop off where the real party is happening. I'll let my wife do the partying for both of us, this way I can drive us home safely. I found out a few months ago drinking and walking on crutches don't mix.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by herb2linda View Post
    I've been going for years now to celebrate Cinco de Mayo at the local Mexican restruants. Never once was I "ID" to see if I was hispanic. Come one come all, time to party! This year I'll be going to our local Ford car dealer. They are having a Cinco de Mayo party offering soda, chips, bbq, music and so on. Speaking of chips, Chip Foose will be there along with a few of his cars. Basically nothing to do with Cinco de Mayo but I love cars so I'll go here and on the way home stop off where the real party is happening. I'll let my wife do the partying for both of us, this way I can drive us home safely. I found out a few months ago drinking and walking on crutches don't mix.

Cool.

You must want chips and soda pretty bad to put up with going to a car dealership to get them. They are going to spend every second with you trying to get you to buy some crap. Bring earplugs.

• New Old Member

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Cool.

You must want chips and soda pretty bad to put up with going to a car dealership to get them. They are going to spend every second with you trying to get you to buy some crap. Bring earplugs.
    My wife is my earplugs, she'll tell like it is, "We're here to see Chip Foose, grab a quick bite to eat and we're out of here!"

(Please don't anyone take this the wrong way -- I'm just riffing off of some posts as they have made me think about how we, as a culture, approach such "holidays". So no attack is intended here. In fact, I'm including myself in this as much as anyone else. As I read what I've written below, it comes off as something of a diatribe, but I'm really intending it as a bit of social commentary and truly intend no insult towards anyone. With that in mind . . .)

While I certainly agree with the idea of having fun and a few drinks (or more than a few) tomorrow, and have absolutely no issues with people of non-Mexican descent celebrating Cinco de Mayo (or, for that matter, people of non-Irish descent celebrating St. Patrick's Day -- I'd say GrouchyRob has outlined my attitude on this perfectly, so there's no reason to reiterate), I really do think it's a stretch to equate getting loaded on tequila and Dos Equis with learning about new cultures! Let's face it, when it comes to days like this, such celebrations are just an excuse to get smashed. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all. I just feel that we (and I include myself and most of my friends) should own up to that fact and not pretend that drinking an entire pitcher of margaritas (which I'm sure I've done on at least one Cinco de Mayo) is some sort of cultural education.

That we, as Americans, have appropriated this day and turned it into a reason to party is no big deal. American culture is based on a pastiche of customs that have been chopped up, blended, and recombined into something unique. The fact that Cinco de Mayo is barely celebrated in Mexico is really of no importance, either. (Though I wonder how many people celebrating tomorrow even realize that Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Battle of the Puebla. Many people I knew growing up mistakenly thought it was Mexican Independence Day.) Celebrate the good things that Mexican culture has contributed to us? Sure! My wife is 1/4 Mexican (and, for that matter, half-Irish), and I sure celebrate her! But I really doubt anyone is actually going to learn much about Mexican culture via the typical Cinco de Mayo celebrations. The only thing most people learn is that tequila gives you a nasty hangover. Which is, now that I think about it, a very important lesson.

• Loves Fajita!

We are just watching the Mayweather - De La Hoya fight at a friends house. Nothing Cinco De Mayo related

Funny thing that boxing day was mentioned, my husband takes it off every year. I would not say he celebrates the holiday, but he does celebrate all the football (soccer) there is to watch on boxing day

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by LLEBREKNIT View Post
    We are just watching the Mayweather - De La Hoya fight at a friends house. Nothing Cinco De Mayo related

Funny thing that boxing day was mentioned, my husband takes it off every year. I would not say he celebrates the holiday, but he does celebrate all the football (soccer) there is to watch on boxing day
    are you guys canadian by chance ((I miss my boxing day)) since living here in the states

Friends for life

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KDR View Post
    get smashed.... drinking an entire pitcher of margaritas ...
    a reason to party
    This is what I picked up
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Mexihick, y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    This is what I picked up

Me too.

We'll be watching the fight after celebrating a one year olds birthday and eating tacos from the man making them. I hope he's Mexican, so he can share in my glee.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast