• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Hollywood isn't the only place burning...

Tampa Bay is surrounded by wildfires. Currently Pinellas county is the only county in the area that doesn't have any fires at the moment.

From www.baynews9.com

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist announced Tuesday evening the Florida EOC has been boosted to level 1, its highest activation level, in response to the raging wildfires throughout the state.
    The transition was an easy one, as the EOC was already gearing up for hurricane season.
    Earlier Tuesday, the Florida Division of Forestry raised its fire-readiness level to the highest category of 5.
    Florida Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson has banned all residential outdoor burning. He says he hopes that will help stop more fires from starting. Many parts of the Bay area already have burn bans in place.
    Florida is already under a fire-induced state of emergency, with high wind and tinder-dry conditions spawning some 240 blazes over 50,000 acres. So far no injuries have been reported, and only a small handful of houses have been destroyed or damaged.

Conditions cleared in the Bay area late Tuesday afternoon after a day of haze.
    I-75 North at Fruitville Road in Sarasota reopened Tuesday afternoon after a couple of hours of being closed due to several spot fires in the median. There were also several brushfires on the side of the highway.
    The bulk of the state's brushfires are burning in central Florida and further to the north and the east, but haze and smoke can still be seen and smelled throughout the Tampa Bay area.
    Hillsborough County Fire Rescue responded to a brush fire estimated at 40 acres at Walter Hunter Road and Virgil Hall Road in the afternoon, but it is under control and no threat to homes or businesses. This is on phosphate property south of Lithia Pinecrest and west of Highway 39.
    The Hillsborough County Health Department issued a public health advisory urging people with respiratory issues to avoid being outdoors for prolonged periods of time. Pinellas and Hernando issued advisories as well.
    The Pinellas and Hillsborough school districts decided to keep students inside for recess, so they weren't exposed to the smoke.
    The Pinellas County Emergency Communications Center got about 200 calls Tuesday morning related to the hazy conditions.
    "They're thinking there neighbors house is on fire, or possibly the woods nearby their house is on fire," said 911 dispatcher Candy Grund.
    Visibility was so poor that airports asked pilots to use instruments to land. Sky 9 pilot Captain Dave Millard was flying over an accident Tuesday morning, when he decided to return to the ground.

"Visibility was really down to less than two miles and [I] started to get a light-headedness," said Millard. "[My] nose was burning, so we decided to return and make a precautionary landing at Vandenburg."
    This morning when I left for work, the sky was YELLOW and the smoke was was so thick and it hurt my eyes bad. By the time I went to get lunch around 1:00 the sky was blue and a lot of the smoky smell was gone but still lingered... even when I left work at 6:00 I could still smell it and even know at 10 I can smell it a little. BLEGH! This is reminding me of the summer of 2000 when that one fire in Polk county jumped the median of I-4 between Tampa & Orlando and they had to shut down part of the highway.

• So Far E!

Re: Hollywood isn't the only place burning...

My backyard was very thick with smoke this evening. I'm in Lake County. I hate the smell. It reminds me of '98 when I was pregnant with my second child. Nothing like morning sickness with this smell. Now everytime I smell it, I associate it with morning sickness. WONDERFUL!

Yeah a friend of mine in Orlando was complaining about the smoke today too. He can't take his dogs for a walk because they start sneezing. A friend of mine in Wesley Chapel (Pasco county, just north of Tampa) said her car was covered in ash when she left to go to work this morning. Crazy!

• New Old Member

I live in Lee County Florida and I am surrounded by fire/smoke also. Smoke to the left of me, smoke to the right of me, etc, etc.! Just about 10 miles south of me a fire of 400 acres plus. A little bit more south and a 1500 acre fire. About 20 miles north a 1000 acres.
    I would normally say you would be able to smell it since the winds were blowing north but your north with your own fires.

*** I am about a two and a half hour drive south of Tampa.

• Happy Memories

Yesterday was bad. I could even smell it INSIDE my office. Made it really difficult to work. Doesn't seem too bad today though thank goodness.

• This space for rent

It's pretty hazy here in Orlando from the different fires in the state, as soon as you open up the door to go out you get smacked in the face by the smell of smoke.

• Banned User

There was ash in westly chappel?

Lutz got nothing around me... my car is still mostly white. Hope everyone stays safe.

• World Traveler

We're in South Florida and due to some winds coming in from the west, there was a lot of smoke coming in from some wildfires in the Naples area.

Cough cough.

• She was sweet as a peach

I live on the east coast of Florida and the smoke has been bad all day.

Plus! There is a subtropical storm to the north of us.

Hurricane season starts early!!

Well, the tropical storm would help control the fires.

Today here the sky was blue but you could still faintly smell the smoke from yesterday. It's one of those smells that lingers for days, if not weeks.

• 333: I'm only half evil!!

Blog Entries

I'm near Jacksonville...we have the smoke drifting towards us from fires in Okefenokee Swamp in GA. We also have the tropical storm heading towards us.
    AP Holder.
    Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.

• Happy Memories

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the storm wants to come ashore and help us out any time soon. It is looking like it's inclined to shift the wind direction and give us another smokey day tomorrow though (I'm in the Tampa Bay area). Hopefully the rains coming from the west will be more cooperative.

• VMK Addict!

It isn't bad here today... my son's school has a field trip tomorrow, I sure hope it stays clear!