• Man O Lantern

Your Household Emissions

EPA has developed tools to help individuals (and households) reduce greenhouse gas emissions and take action. Businesses and organizations interested in educating their employees and members about what they can do at home to help protect our climate can also use these tools.

Use this online calculator to obtain an estimate of your personal greenhouse gas emissions or your family’s greenhouse gas emissions. Then move on to the next section of the calculator to explore actions you and/or your family can take to lower your emissions while reducing your energy and waste disposal costs. For each action you choose to take, the calculator displays the amount of emissions you could avoid and how that amount relates to your total emissions.
    http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/emi...alculator.html

How did you guys do?

My emissions before doing any changes was 34,243 pounds with a family of five.

Whether or not you believe in global warming, do you do anything green? Have you changed your lifestyle in the past few years to reduce your garbage, recycling, paper useage, driving, etc? Did you buy a new energy efficient appliance? A car with better gas mileage?

------------------------------------------------------------

We recycle anything and everything that has a triangle on it. We shred and recycle our bills and junk mail, recycle newspapers. We take all our grocery bags back to the store or reuse them or recycle them. Never trash them.

I feel pretty good about our driving. I barely drive 150 miles a week. It's usually less, even though I'm a soccer/softball mom. My car gets about 32 miles/gallon. I'm good with that.

Our electric bill rarely gets above $110/month. And our heating bill is never more than $80/month.

I do wish I took public transportation more often (or that my husband did!), but we walk quite a bit, and combine all our errands to reduce our car trips.

I live in the land of composters and people who flush their rainwater here in Portland....I look like a consumption slut next to the hippies around me. How are things in your area? Is your area recycling-friendly?

• That Guy

Re: Your Household Emissions

Sorry, I thought this thread was about cooking and eating beans.

Nevermind.

• That Guy

I do some of the basics, reduce, reuse, recycle.

In Phoenix, you cannot recycle shredded paper, it jams the machine, and doesn't work at all. It's cool if you can do it in your area.

I think it is important to always try and do your part to reduce your output. The State of AZ now uses only electric landscaping equipment, and many cities will trade in your oil gas mower for a new electric one.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

yegh... 51,535...oops!

I recycle though! I guess it's the LA commute?!?
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• Incognito

Blog Entries

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

-Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Hiding in the shadows

59,839, which is mostly because I live 43 miles from where I work. YIKES!!!

A little piece of heaven

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Mine is $42,510. For me its the oil bill- and I commute by car
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Loves Fajita!

Mine was 37,269 for a family of three. We do not commute much because we both live very close to work - and we recycle. However, its our heating bill that kills us - this condo that we live in is older and VERY un efficient. Floor to ceiling/wall to wall windows in all 4 rooms that face the outside and baseboards - dangerous combo. Cannot wait to move!

• -Going Retro-

59,179 wow and only two of us!