Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm a guy

Anyone else ever done Advanced Placement?

I am a high school student and at my school, and I know many other schools across the country do too, they offer "advanced Placement" (AP) courses. AP is a program run by The College Board (they do the SAT and other tests as well) and when the course is done, you take an "AP Test" Many colleges, though not all, accept high scores on Ap tests as college credit.
    I think it is a wonderful program, especially for those who want to spend as little as possible on college. I am taking the AP U.S.History Test tomorrow at 8am and extremely nervous.
    Wish me luck!

So has anyone else ever taken an AP course/Test?

• is on the rocks

Re: Anyone else ever done Advanced Placement?

Good luck with your test!

I did several of them in high school, and they helped me get out of one semester's worth of GE classes - totally worth it!
    She did it!

• For You!

I did Biology. If you took all the ap tests available, you could start college halfway through your sophmore year! (at least when I was in high school).

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• no flash photography...

my daughter is taking it. AP us history as well. We had to pay about $100.00 for her test. She has been studying so hard. She will not talk to me today, because she's to busy studying for it..

good luck..

• I'm a guy

Thanks! I know the tests can be expensive. But, luckily, here in Minnesota, the state pays for most of the test. I paid $20 to take it, but i will be getting $12 back, when I take the test tomorrow. $8 for a potential college credit? Sounds like a deal to me!
    This is the only one I am taking this year, but I am taking a couple more in the nest couple of years.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I was in almost all AP classes in junior high & high school. Back then they were called "honors" classes. Never had to pay anything or take any tests though.

• Hola!

No honors classes are different than AP classes. AP classes are higher up than honors, and are usually offered to upper classmen.

• Banned User

I took both AP classes and regular classes during the course of my educational life. AP classes were different in that there was more time to cover topics because the students were better behaved. In regular classes it took up to 15 minutes just to get class started as students file in late, disrupt the class, and are generally have to get caught up by the frazzled teacher.

It really sucked for the kids who weren't eligible for AP classes for whatever reason, but still really wanted to do well. I saw a lot of this. The rest of the class gets brought down by 2-3 bad apples.

In high school I usually took regular math classes. At one point I told a guy off in the middle of class, a guy who seemed to deliberately frustrate the teacher and hold up class, that he should just drop out and leave the rest of us alone. He was eventually expelled for stealing something I think so good riddance.

I'm not saying I was a genius or anything. I usually aced the regular classes but hit only C's and B's in the AP classes, but they were much more enjoyable looking back. Hell, I got a 4 on some English test and didn't have to take English 101 later on!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
    I am a high school student and at my school, and I know many other schools across the country do too, they offer "advanced Placement" (AP) courses. AP is a program run by The College Board (they do the SAT and other tests as well) and when the course is done, you take an "AP Test" Many colleges, though not all, accept high scores on Ap tests as college credit.
    I think it is a wonderful program, especially for those who want to spend as little as possible on college. I am taking the AP U.S.History Test tomorrow at 8am and extremely nervous.
    Wish me luck!

So has anyone else ever taken an AP course/Test?
    yeah, but experience 40 years ago isn't likely to help you much

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Back in MY day AP was only available in NY (where I lived) and CA, and they said that if you weren't going to college in either state to not even bother taking AP classes, I got into AP History, but it was world history so I didn't go far there. I was going to be in AP English sophomore year but I was already scheduled for regular English w/a prof I wanted to keep so I opted out. It really made no difference college-wise though!

Best of luck to you!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Grumpy old man

I avoided the AP classes at my high school, I had many friends who took them and saw the work they were given and it was obvious what was given was no more complicated then what was given to the regular students and it seemed more like a heavier work load. Plus most of the AP teachers were actually the worst teachers at my school, besides a couple who also taught regular classes.

I probably should've taken them to lessen my college load, but in high school I would've rather been the "smart kid in the regular class" then the "dumb kid in the smart class" to use my words from then.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I took two AP courses in high school: AP US History and AP Art. I didn't take the test in either of those classes because I felt like I just wasn't prepared. I liked the faster pace of the course and the people that were in there with me. Even though I didn't get any college credit for it, I think the situation turned out just fine for me. Good luck on the test!

• Huh?

I took AP Chemistry and AP Spanish.

I got an A for each class.

However, I rather failed the AP tests (I'm a REALLY bad tester).

They were only $70 each when I took them.

I heard they added AP Japanese very recently to the AP offerings.
    -Tim

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Wow...cool that they still offer AP classes...back in late 70s early 80s I took all the AP classes offered Algebra, English and Chemistry....can't say it really shortened my stay in college any, it just ended up freeing up time to explore other classes I might not otherwise found the time to take....GOOD LUCK!

• I love loop jokes.

I took the Psychology AP. I was enrolled in college during my senior year so I saved time that way. Looking back, I would have preferred to take more AP classes. It would have saved commute time from high school to college.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast