• That Guy

Amazing Feel-Good Story, Police Save 10 Year Old Awaiting Heart Transplant

I very rarely post news items, but this really touched me and I thought it was an amazing example of Police doing a great job. Too often we hear horror stories about officers, so I feel it's important to point out the good. Please take a minute to read this, you won't regret it.

Police use cell-tracking technology to find transplant patient

SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. (AP) - Police located a 10-year-old boy awaiting a heart transplant by asking his mother's cellular provider to locate her cell phone.
    John Paul May of Harrisville had the successful surgery at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh on Saturday night, but came dangerously close to being passed over for the donor heart until police tracked down the boy and his mother at a jazz festival.
    The hospital called state police Saturday afternoon because officials couldn't reach the boy's parents to let them know a donor heart had been found. When police couldn't find the boy or reach him by phone, they contacted Sprint Nextel Corp. to get the coordinates of his mother's cell phone.
    "The only time you can use it is life or death, or to track someone wanted in a homicide," state police Cpl. James Green said. Otherwise, police must get a warrant from a judge.
    Using the coordinates, state police tracked the phone to a Slippery Rock University building. Police stopped the jazz concert that was happening and announced they were looking for the boy and his mother, Sue.
    The crowd of some 500 jumped to their feet and gave the boy a standing ovation as he left, said Steve Hawk, a music professor who conducted the concert.
    "I've been in the entertainment business for 30 years and never had such an emotional, shocking event happen at something live," Hawk told the Butler Eagle.

• That Guy

Re: Amazing Feel-Good Story, Police Save 10 Year Old Awaiting Heart Transplant

It's important to note, after they located the family via GPS, the officer had to go up to the stage and talk to the conductor, DURING the show. The conductor stopped the music, and allowed the officer to announce what happened.

What a cool story, I wish I could buy that officer a beer.

• See what I got?

That is awesome. I'm sure the mother will be thankful to that officer for the rest of her life. Thanks for sharing!

• Hiding in the shadows

Wow what a cool story, glad they didnt have any red tape and Sprint was willing to cooperate so easily. Its nice when things work out so well.

A little piece of heaven

• is on the rocks

Thanks for sharing this Max. It -is- nice to hear the good things.
    She did it!

• Senior Minion

This is the kind of story that we need to hear about more often. Thanks for posting it.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban