Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Have you guys heard about the Madeline kidnapping?

I just saw it on the news this morning. Apparently , a mom and dad from England were vacationing in Portugal with their young family. They decided to have dinner outside about 150 feet or yards (I can't remember which they said) and left their two infant twins and their 4 year old daughter Madeline sleeping in their hotel room. They kept checking on the kids every 30 minutes , but when they went back the last time to check, Madeline was gone and there were signs of a forced entry. There is a million dollar reward being offered and some of the money was put up by J K Rowling. Also, Beckham did a public television message pleading for any info and a safe return.

I feel terrible for this family, but like many others, there is a part of me that wonders why they left a four year old and two infants in a hotel room alone in the first place. They said they were checking on them every 30 minutes which makes me wonder just how long their dinner took. And infants can't get into too much trouble, but I'd be worried about a 4 year old being left alone for even five minutes as they can get ina lot of trouble. I just think it's so sad that they had to find out this was not a good idea in the worst way possible!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Re: Have you guys heard about the Madeline kidnapping?

Oh no. I did not here this. What a terrible story.

I would never leave my child alone in a hotel room. I don't even want to leave him alone to go outside to put out the garbage. Its not that I am afraid he can do anything if he is in his crib, but I would just be paranoid that something would happen to him anyway. What if somethin happended like a fire? The children can't get out on their own. 30 minutes is along time.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Man O Lantern

Wow. I would never in a million years leave my kids (esp. that young!) alone in a hotel room. Infants wake up and um....cry. Why on earth would they leave them alone? That four year old would be terrified to be woken up by crying babies and no parents around.

Ugh.

But a kidnapping....that's horrible!! Every parent's worst nightmare.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I ask the same question...why would they leave their 4 year old and 2 twin babies alone...doesn't matter if they were 50 feet from them...doesn't sound right to me.

• Circle of Ancients

I remember going on a trip across the country with my aunt and mom when I was three and my sister was four. They would take turns driving so we could get back east quicker so they often drove through the night. They stopped one night at a diner and since my sister and I were fast asleep, they decided to just park the car and then sit where they could see us ....probably about 30 feet away at the most. I woke up and was disoriented and didn't know where I was and I was TERRIFIED that my mom and aunt weren't there with me. They could see me crying from where they were sitting so my mom came running out. But just that memory of how I felt made me never want to live my kids alone for any amount of time. I think all of my kids were 10 the first time I even left them home alone. My youngest is very independent and looks older than 10 so she's the only one I've given a little more freedom , but even when I do, I still question myself as to whether I am being too lax or trusting. It's hard to know for sure.

I guess this mom and dad just felt like it would be okay since they had never had a bad experience yet. What's really sad too is that they have no leads. I'm kind of surprised that there were no security cameras in the hotel either because otherwise , the authorities would have at least a few clues.

• no flash photography...

I think the why they did it was obvious. They wanted to have dinner... I hope they find the little girl. I can't believe people make these horrible decisions and then are so shocked when bad things happen...*sigh*

• Minion

Apparently, the hotel they were at even offered babysitting services, and they chose not to use it.
    It must not have been a money issue either, as both parents were doctors.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    Apparently, the hotel they were at even offered babysitting services, and they chose not to use it.
    It must not have been a money issue either, as both parents were doctors.

Oh my gosh! Are you serious? Why on earth didn't they take them up on it? That makes me wonder if maybe it was an inside job....like someone on the staff overheard that they were rich doctors who were leaving their kids alone in the room so they saw an opportunity to grab one and make some money. And it would make sense that they'd go for the 4 year old and not the infants since infants are much more work to take care of.

• Minion

That is what my newspaper reported yesterday.
    They also reported that the twin boys were 2 years old.
    As soon as I read the story, I thought they had taken Madeline due to her being female.
    It is really a tragic story.

• Man O Lantern

People are stupid. Even doctors. That makes me sick!!

• Man O Lantern

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/vi...264468,00.html

Has some good video links.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest_uk.cfm?id=694632007

This happened a while ago, and I'd never heard about it....I live in a cave.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Ugh, while I want to know more information regarding why the parents did what they did. My heart goes out to that little girl who is out there somewhere, terrified if not worse.

• That Guy

That sucks, well I hope it at leasts serves as a lesson in what NOT to do.

Do you guys remember what happened in Scottsdale, where the yuppie Mom had her car valet parked at the mall, and asked the valet to 'keep an eye on her sleeping kid? THEN she scooped up her tiny dog, and took him into the mall.... Can you imagine?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post

This happened a while ago, and I'd never heard about it....I live in a cave.
    Me too. My husband just happened to leave the tv on this morning ..he always likes to listen to the news , but I don't because of stories like this.

I just really hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those stories where the mom or dad actually did something to the daughter and then they made up this story about her being kidnapped.

It still seems sooooo weird to me that they left three kids that young alone in the hotel room..when C, B and K were 4, 4, and 1 we watched them like hawks! And we would have just ordered room service or one of us would have just gone out to get something and brought it back to the room.

I'm sure these parents feel just terrible about what they did now!

Edited to add....I can't believe that story about the Yuppie woma at the mall. Dis she get arrestd or fined or anything?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

It is so sad about the young Madeline. I hope and pray she is safe and found soon.

The yuppie mom here was arrested and she was sentenced to probation last week.

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/stor...b-ac8a74d1a108

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast