Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Stamp Price Increase...

USPS Stamp Increase

Don't forget guys...when you are sending out those bills to put an extra 2 cents stamp on it. The price of a stamp when from 39 cents to 41 cents. Or you can just get the stamp that will last forever, no matter the price increase

It seems to be going up a lot the past few years...pretty soon it's going to be half a buck to send out a 1st Class letter!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Stamp Price Increase...

Yeah, gotta get my hands on a bunch of those Forever stamps!!

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

yes those Forever stmps seem to be a good value. 41 bucks gets you 100 of them. they should last you through Christmas (maybe). At least it would get me through that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• That Guy

They HAD to raise the prices, these guys aren't getting any cheaper.

Are those gun bullets? That's going right over my head

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

And, anyone who is sending postcards in to the YOAMD Sweepstakes postcards went up, too.
    Mike

• A Pirate's life for me!

Yeah, the price goes up, and the quality of the service goes down (or remains poor).

Must be a Gov't kind of thing...

• Banned User

Blame unions. The Postal Union is the worst of the worst. Guys actually sleep on their route and can't be fired. The only way to get fired at the USPS is to steal mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Blame unions. The Postal Union is the worst of the worst. Guys actually sleep on their route and can't be fired. The only way to get fired at the USPS is to steal mail.
    That is interesting...when I was with the City of L.A. one of my co-workers had a falling out with our supervisor and stopped showing up for work. Did she get fired? nope..in fact my supervisor told me that she was trying to find a reason or a way to get her fired.

She ended up quitting after 2 months of not showing up.

Anyway, kinda off topic but your comment made me think of that incident.

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I have to agree that the union is the worst, but firing isnt the worst thing I have seen them do to employees, it really is the worst place to work ever, BTW most openings in the USPS now are not even union jobs. The price increase is actually due to business falling off, yep thats right people are paying bills electronically, sending e-cards and ever direct marketers are spending more money online that traditional mail...they gotta make up the slack somewhere.

BTW apparantly mail like heavier wedding invitations have gone down as long as they meet certain standards (automation and aspect ratio for one). In addition, large packages have gone up. So basically anything that can be better automated will be cheaper and anything that can not be will be more expensive.

A little piece of heaven

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    That is interesting...when I was with the City of L.A. one of my co-workers had a falling out with our supervisor and stopped showing up for work. Did she get fired? nope..in fact my supervisor told me that she was trying to find a reason or a way to get her fired.

She ended up quitting after 2 months of not showing up.

Anyway, kinda off topic but your comment made me think of that incident.
    Thats job abandonment so they should have been able to fire her. Both my inlaws worked for the USPS for years (39 and over 20 I believe) and I have heard it all. There was a woman who asked for vacation to go to vegas and she was denied, so she called in sick. Her manager was so mad he put in to get her written up to be fired upon her return to work. Greatest story ever, she won a progressive in Vegas for over a million dollars. I guess she got the last laugh there.

ok sorry had to get that out...back to the price of stamps going up!

A little piece of heaven

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

i need to buy the 2 cent stamps cuz i still have a lot of 39 cent ones! after that, I'm buying the unlimited ones !

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    it really is the worst place to work ever
    Oh trust me, I know. My Dad is going on 21 years with them. We were a Postal Family growing up and I've heard too many horrific stories. When the "Going Postal" stories started showing up in the news and everyone laughed at them I just felt sorry for them for what I knew they must be going through. My Dad eventually had an entirely stress caused heart attack (so far the scariest and most horrible day of my entire life) and his supervisor called him in the hospital to tell him that he needed to get back ASAP or get his route covered. I wanted to strangle the guy myself. I'd rather beg for change at an offramp than be a letter carrier. I don't know how Dad does it.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Think about those forever stamps for a moment.

Obviously, since they are the same price as a "normal" stamp, you might as well get the forever one. You can't lose that way if you have any left over when they raise the rates again.

It also wouldn't hurt to "stock-pile" some when the increase in rates are announced sometime in the future.

But how many???

At some point, the money that you will have tied up in forever stamps in an attempt to "save" money will backfire on you. You could be earning more in interest income than what you would spend on a higher priced stamp.

Of course, for the mass-mailer, there would be an initial savings, but then again, what would the money that is now tied up in stamps sitting in a drawer be earning in interest for that same time?

As far as me buying forever stamps, I won't bother until I hear about the next price increase. Then I'll "run the numbers" and see where I stand. I'm sure that I will buy a few rolls, but just to a point.

I buy a roll of 100 at a time now, and a roll lasts me about three months.

I don't get folks that drive down to the Post Office, stand in line, only buy a pack of 20 stamps, and then complain about a two cent increase. Hello! How much fuel did they burn just to get those 20 stamps? Why not make it a hundred and not have to worry about it for a while? (and save the cost of fuel too)

That's kind of like driving to Costco just to buy (and save a few cents) a loaf of bread.

And I have seen people do both!

LOL

• Clearing my Calendar

The differential rate between ounces actually decreased, as someone said. Where the difference used to go from .39 to .63 it's not 41. to .58. Not bad.

Personally, I think the Forever Stamp is the biggest waste of energy ever. Like PirateMickey stated, it's actually not worth it to buy until near the time of the next price increase (which is at least a year away), in my opinion anyway.

People, in general, do not get the concept of the Forever Stamp. A lot of people think a.) ALL the stamps are Forever Stamps or b.) the rate is NEVER changing AGAIN or c.) a Forever Stamp will always cost .41, even after the next rate change.

At the present time, the only stamp that is "Forever" is the Liberty Bell. The flags on the tan background are regular .41. FYI.

Stamps are a "need" not a "want". People will always complain about price differences because mailing something is not what someone would rather be doing with their time.

Ugh.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast