Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Why do you keep talking?

Re: Falwell Found Unconscious After Missed Appointment

While I'm not happy about his death. I'm not sad about it.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

Thumbs down Re: Falwell Found Unconscious After Missed Appointment

I have nothing good to say about him... He was a horrible man.

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/jerry_falwell/
    If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being.
    -- Rev Jerry Falwell
    The Jews are returning to their land of unbelief. They are spiritually blind and desperately in need of their Messiah and Savior.
    -- Jerry Falwell, Listen, America!
    Grown men should not be having sex with prostitutes unless they are married to them.
    -- Jerry Falwell, on CNN's Crossfire, May 17, 1997
    And just to re-quote the one from above-
    AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals.
    -- Jerry Falwell
    The list goes on and on...
    Last edited by Wesley815; 05-15-2007 at 07:31 PM.
    -Wes

• Original Mice-Chatter

Someone who said it well-
    The Passing Of One Who Is Considered As Evil Should Be Looked Upon As An Opportunity.

The passing of one who is considered as evil should be looked upon as an opportunity to squelch the spread of hatred, not an opportunity to wield it.

We all will die. How we are remembered and regarded after we pass is hardly relevant compared to the actions to be judged by while we are alive. There is never nobility in taking joy in the suffering of others. As flawed and misguided as many of his followers are, many of them are suffering if even for the wrong reasons. To a degree, there should be some expected comfort that at least the words of hatred from his mouth have been silenced. But there should also be a desire to let the hatred rest with him while we put forth the power of what decency can do for the world instead.

With each voice of hatred that is silenced, the voices of decency weigh ever greater. To miss that opportunity is to yield a win to the premise of hatred as the scales of hatred grow where the voices of decency should have.

This is not about asking for respect towards him, as I feel he didn't earn it.

This is not about defending him, as his actions while alive were condemnable.

This is not about asking people to forgive him, as he did not ask for such.

This is not about forgetting those things he has spewed to hurt people, since such wounds are still open.

This is about recognizing that even upon one's death who is considered evil, and upon which such tempting opportunity arises to succumb to taking joy in other's suffering because of return hatred, that we can instead do far more by proving our inner core decency towards humanity and even upon their death and even in the face of such temptation of opportunity, remain better than they.
    Returning hatred with hatred does not reduce hate in the world- And having glee over hating someone and finding joy at their death is sickening.

Heaven forbid anyone rise above.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I don't care either way, but I do find it interesting that when people die, they automatically become sainted, and you cannot speak ill of them. I'm not saying that is the case here, but just because someone stops having birthdays, doesn't mean they lived the life as an angel.
    Exactly. Some people are just plain evil. I don't think it's celebrating that he is dead, it is joy that he can no longer hurt people and spread bigotry and hate. His reign of hatred is over. It just happens that the reason that he can no longer do evil things is because he's dead.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• most magical vaca ever

Some strange reason I keep hearing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" playing in my head....

One less hater in this world...
    ~~~~~~

• off in lala land

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    Returning hatred with hatred does not reduce hate in the world- And having glee over hating someone and finding joy at their death is sickening.

Heaven forbid anyone rise above.
    I would hardly call his actions something he could rise above. Your life here is how people will remember you here. It's what you said, what you did while here how you will be remembered and respected.

Sadly, if you call a lot of people names, you really can't expect that you will have the sympathy of those people when you die.

People have regard for human life, BUT you have to earn respect. This is where he failed, he did not respect people, so naturally the people he disrespected are not going to feel sympathy for him.

If you want to argue over this man's legacy please take to the Debate Forum: http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64498

Thanks
    ...it's been a long time.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey View Post
    I would hardly call his actions something he could rise above. Your life here is how people will remember you here. It's what you said, what you did while here how you will be remembered and respected.

Sadly, if you call a lot of people names, you really can't expect that you will have the sympathy of those people when you die.

People have regard for human life, BUT you have to earn respect. This is where he failed, he did not respect people, so naturally the people he disrespected are not going to feel sympathy for him.
    Exactly. He created his own legacy, dug his own grave- so to speak. it is very sad to me that he chose to live his life the way he did.

I don't hate him but I won't mourn him.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey View Post
    I would hardly call his actions something he could rise above. Thanks
    You are missing my point- WE can always rise above. I am not talking about him- I am talking about the rest of us. Those of us who do have a voice and I am sickened by many people who has chosen to raise their voice in hatred.

I'm done. This was not about vindicating the man- this was about my distaste for the hateful comments I have seen too much of in the last 24 hours.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2 View Post
    Some strange reason I keep hearing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" playing in my head...
    "I thought you told me that the 'Wicked Witch' was dead?!"

"That was the Wicked Witch of the East; this is her sister, the Wicked Witch of the West - and she's worse than the other one was"

Be careful in taking too much Glee that Jerry Falwell has passed, and therefor all the Hatred and Bigotry that he represented, preached, and spread has died with him; many times, those seeds have been planted, and a crop of Hatred may rise up where he once stood that will eclipse the originator many times over.

One by one, we must stand up for / fight against Hatred, Intolerance, Bigotry, Anti-Semitism, Homophobia, Racism, Misogyny, etc in ourselves, and not let this poison seep into our souls, our speach, or our children.

Prejudice is carefully taught; it does not come by us naturally...

Jerry Falwell simply took the ugliest part of Mankind - our Fear of Anyone and Anything different than ourselves - and told us that God said that it was all right to hate and loathe and legislate against our fellow Man, and used this Fear and Hatred to build a Political Empire.
    Last edited by EvilQueen; 05-16-2007 at 10:01 AM.

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2 View Post
    Some strange reason I keep hearing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" playing in my head....
    That's what my husband said last night when I told him that Falwell died!

• Gay Man

You are missing my point- WE can always rise above. I am not talking about him- I am talking about the rest of us. Those of us who do have a voice and I am sickened by many people who has chosen to raise their voice in hatred.

I'm done. This was not about vindicating the man- this was about my distaste for the hateful comments I have seen too much of in the last 24 hours.
    Two very different boards and similar comments on both. I wonder if you're in the minority?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I think people should be allowed to react to his death however they choose without being made to feel like scum. He was a controversial person ( to say the least) and will likely invoke controversial reactions to both his life and his death.

He caused pain and hurt in people and I don't shame anyone for voicing that it in light of his death.

• That Guy

...I am sickened by many people who has chosen to raise their voice in hatred.

I'm done. This was not about vindicating the man- this was about my distaste for the hateful comments I have seen too much of in the last 24 hours

Prepare to be sicker...

I think that it's a tad dramatic to say that 'people have chosen to raise their voices in hatred' That would make for a kick butt soap opera, but IMHO, it's not the best fit here.

The guy seems to have been a hateful person, spread hate, and died. Boo Hoo.

We can only hope that his death will also bring an end to the hate he would spew, but I'm not going to lose any sleep because he is now dead.

• Gay Man

I'm considering evoking Goodwin's law.

• off in lala land

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid View Post
    I'm considering evoking Goodwin's law.
    Goodwin's law or Godwin's law? I think you meant Godwin's law, and if so - then I see the white flag from a corner flying above them. hee hee
    ...it's been a long time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast