Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Former Cast Member

Need Some Advice.............

The other night my wife and I were watching a program regarding a woman in her late 70's going back to college and getting her degree. In the episode, she mentioned that , for her, it was not too late to attain this accomplishment. Well that kind of motivated me in thinking that I should do the same thing. My wife was very encouraging as well. I am 47 and have a lot of college credits from CSULB, Cerritos College, Orange Coast College and the University of Iowa (correspondence degress program), but no degree to show for. I have always wanted to get a degree in history, since I love the subject so much, but things in my life got in the way, which steered me away from focusing on this goal.

I currently, would love to get my BA from Fullerton in history, but I am afraid my work schedule will interfere with the available schedule of classes. So, my question to everyone here, is should I attempt to go back and finish what I started, even with the dilema I face with the possible conflict of schedules?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Plaza Inn

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: Need Some Advice.............

Going back to school no matter what age is always a great idea. You can never be too smart. I am sure they have some classes that you need at a convenient time. I say go, go, go.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Its defintely worth checking into. Schedules are much more flexible than you think with night classes, online classes, even classes on Saturday morning. I'd say at least meet with a counselor and see what your options are. If not you'll always wonder "what if"

Good Luck!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• That Guy

".....should I attempt to go back and finish what I started?"

YES.

Education is something that can never be taken away from you. I never thought I would go to college, and then one day I was talking to a friend and I told him that I didn't want to go, it would take me five years to get my degree. He said, "Look, either way five years is going to pass. Would you rather the five years pass and you have a degree, or five years pass and you wasted them?" That really hit home, and since that discussion I have earned my Bachelors and Masters degree.

It sounds like you have a ton of credits as is. Here is what I would do, if I were you.

1. Obtain unofficial and official transcripts of all your college coursework

2. Make an appointment with an academic advisor and your school of choice, and learn what you would need to achieve your goal

3. Research funding options, there are many scholarships that go unused each year simply because people do not apply for them.

4. Start thinking about what you would like to do with your degree. Is it for personal growth? Career aspirations? Sometimes the career we want, and the degree we are seeking are not always aligned.

Best of luck, if you need anything, let me know, I will help in any way. I am very passionate about education, and I feel it offers you so much.

• Former Cast Member

Thanks , so far, to all of you for your great advise and encouragement.

• That Guy

PlazaInn,

Most of all, I would like you (and everyone else) to know that you CAN do this. Once you get started, you will be amazed at how fun and easy it is.
    It is kind of wild to go to school as an adult learner, it is easier. For example, you may have to write a five page paper. Some in the class will groan and complain, but being an adult, you KNOW what real work is, so a five page paper is nothing.

• Huh?

As far as your work schedule goes, most colleges will try to give as many classes as possible during morning and evening if it's required for a major degree. However, if it doesn't, check into the community college -- you may be able to take some of your classes there at times you're able. Speak to advisers first to double check on what will transfer.
    -Tim

• Former Cast Member

This is my work schedule m-f 10:30-7:00 pm. So you can see the possible conflict of schedules.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by PLAZAINN1 View Post
    This is my work schedule m-f 10:30-7:00 pm. So you can see the possible conflict of schedules.

Don't forget online delivery methods, you can go to class anywhere/anytime you want.

Also, I have to say, I highly recommend against attending the University of Phoenix. It is a good school, etc., but the price is soooo high, you can do better with state universities. I also wanted to mention that you may want to see which classes you can take at a community college, which will save you money. Just make sure they will transfer to your university, and you'll be all set, and have more dough in your wallet.

• love my friends

i went back when I was 40... (7 years ago) got 2 aa's one in liberal arts and one in soiology. I still have to finish my degree (BA).. and plan on returning

some of my classes were online.. so I am sure they would have that at fullerton. I know they did when I was going to transfer to fullerton (then we moved to vegas)

Friends for life

• Senior Minion

I say go for it!!!! If it's something you really want, then find a way to work around your work hours.

Good luck!!!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Definitely go for it! I went back to school about 5 years ago to get my A.S. and I started from scratch (it had been so long since I went to school before, I just decided to start over). I was one of those people that always hated school and kind of went into this kicking and screaming (only did this because I was having problems finding a job) and much to my surprise loved every moment of it. I won't lie, it was hard work and there were days when I thought I would never get through it, but I graduated 2 years ago (with a 3.8 gpa) after going for 3 years and was very glad I did it.

The best part was that I found all kinds of subjects I never in a million years thought would interest me. I also learned a lot about myself too...I had determination and I was smart...who knew?

There are all kinds of programs and classes that work around work schedules. Like everyone said, talk to an adviser and see what's out there.

Good Luck!

• Pathetically Obsessed

PlazaInn.... just another word of encouragement here. If this is something you want, go for it But remember, you also have the most important thing going for you.... the love and support of your family. There is no question in my mind that getting the degree is always worth it, but more importantly, if this is only going to cost money, than don't let that hold you back. Go for it and best of luck!!
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Banned User

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

Last fall I faced virtually the same choices you are and I am so glad that I jumped in and went back. I was working at Target, making ridiculously good money, but I hated it. I hate retail as much as I hate the Dentist. But it paid the bills and afforded us a lifestyle that was pretty good. After talking with my wife a few times about it she finally said, "Ya know what, just do it. Go back to school. We'll survive and in the end you'll have a degree and a career that you actually want." I was extremely apprehensive about it at first. I felt proud that I was supporting us and "bringing home the bacon," and I definitely didn't want to be the guy whose wife supports the family financially. But in the end I decided to go ahead and in September I went back full time. It was the best decision I ever made. It's a little weird at times being surrounded by college kids who now look like grade schoolers and I roll my eyes more often now when I hear some of their arguments during class discussions, and the budget at home is definitely tighter now, but I'm still 100% sure that this was the right choice. And I guarantee that you will be too. It sounds like you have only a little ways to go, so I'd say just do it and go all out. You'll be so happy once you finish and the opportunities that open up for you will pay off for any struggle you face going back. Good luck and I really, really hope it works out for you!

• Former Cast Member

Thank you all again for the great words of encouragement. As of now, I have made an appt. with an advisor on June 5th and my supervisor gave me a few hours off to be able to attend this appt. We will see what happens. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast