• Minion

Bit of a dilemma! Need some advice!

So, two weeks ago, my video production teacher told me we have to do a video project due tommorow (friday). The entire class was involved, and me and two other people were the directors. I decided to take charge since i KNEW no one else would. I wrote the scripts, helped film and edited the entire thing. I brang in a "rough" almost completed DVD of it today.
    Everyone hated it. I spent hours working on it , day and well into the night. It was the only thing i thought about for 2 weeks. And so my classmates are now mad at me for doing all the work, but i think they should have stepped up, as they were screwing around while I was working.
    Now my video teacher isn't happy with the audio in some of the sections, and wants me to redo them
    I don't know what to do, he extended the due date to Wednesday, but i'm so stressed out, i feel like i'm going crazy!
    Any advice?

• Banned User

Re: Bit of a dilemma! Need some advice!

awwww I am so sorry. Its the kids who want all the work done by some one else and get good credit for it. I say have them redo it with you if they want a better grade and take the stress off you. I am sorry PV that sucks.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah I agree, stand up to them if they start complaining and say "Well while you goofed around I worked my butt off. If you wanted it to be better you should've pitched in. I'm only one person."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I'm a bit of a jerk. I'd tell them to deal with it or they will suffer the poor grade. I'd also try and explain everything to the teacher to keeo myself afloat.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pveticket View Post
    So, two weeks ago, my video production teacher told me we have to do a video project due tommorow (friday). The entire class was involved, and me and two other people were the directors. I decided to take charge since i KNEW no one else would. I wrote the scripts, helped film and edited the entire thing. I brang in a "rough" almost completed DVD of it today.
    Everyone hated it. I spent hours working on it , day and well into the night. It was the only thing i thought about for 2 weeks. And so my classmates are now mad at me for doing all the work, but i think they should have stepped up, as they were screwing around while I was working.
    Now my video teacher isn't happy with the audio in some of the sections, and wants me to redo them
    I don't know what to do, he extended the due date to Wednesday, but i'm so stressed out, i feel like i'm going crazy!
    Any advice?
    Treat each issues separately.

What will be the consequence if you don't make the changes ? Presumably it would affect YOUR grade even after all the work you have done. What's the point of that ?

Ignore what your classmates say. They gave up their right to have a say when they neglected to participate. But that leaves open a question: Being the director of a production isn't supposed to be the same as doing the whole thing. In the professional world they are group activities with the Director having leadership responsibilities and final authority on the artistic and production matters. Did you try and involve your classmates in the process by scheduling meetings and other processes (and then they didn't participate) or did you just decide to do it yourself ? If you didn't involve them then they you really didn't perform the function of a director. What effect that ought to have is open to question but it certainly is cause for some complaint and criticism.

• insufferable know-it-all

Hand the project over to your classmates to fix it, since they're unhappy with it.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Bit of a pickle now...if you just hand the project to your classmates to 'fix' you potentially sacrifice your grade if as with the first round they choose to do nothing....not such a good idea. On the other hand, if you 'fix' what's wrong, at least you've put your best effort forward. Stessful as it is you're now faced with this new deadline, the deadline won't go away. I would go with door #2. As for why your classmated didn't/couldn't/wouldn't participate in round 1, I'd offer up to them all another opportunity to help out with the final version due on Wednesday. If they refuse, don't dwell on it, just do YOUR best....I'd probably right a little note to the teacher as well explaining the reason for your having done the majority of the work (should that end up being the case and classmates don't step up to the plate n' help).

• Banned User

Hi Colin,

I hate that your classmates who are supposed to help are dumping this on you. Is there anyone in the crew that would come to your home over the weekend and help you edit and re-do the sound?

I'm sorry you are the one carrying the load on this one. I am afraid I'd tell your instructor that you did carry it alone too!!!

Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out!!!

• Minion

Thanks everyone for your advice! I think i'm going to just give the project for them to fix, i have a copy in case they screw it up.
    Thanks for helping me with this guys

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Take your teacher aside and tell him/her that you are the one that worked on it. Don't worry about your lazy friends. You'll know not to work with them again, that's for sure. I've been in this predicament before ... not fun.