Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Any Hawai'ians Here? Share Some Travel Advice, If You Don't Mind?

My wife and I are going to be in Waikiki in June (16th Ė 24th. Woo hoo!!!) and Iím hoping that there might be a few islanders here with advice on where to go and some fun things to see and do. Weíve been there before and visited Hanauma Bay, Pearl, Dole, etc and weíll probably do those things again, but I would love to know of the lesser known but great little ďundiscoveredĒ places to visit this time. The touristy stuff is great, and we love to do all that stuff, but after Iíve been somewhere once or twice I like to really start getting to know it well. So, if any of you who stumble across this thread know of any of those types of places (in Oahu specifically as we arenít going to be able to swing any inter-island travel this time) and wouldnít mind sharing, I would be immensely grateful!

Oh, and as an aside, I have to share this because Iím so totally stoked about it. This trip is actually a tour for my jazz band (Iím fortunate enough to be able to take The Mrs. along) and weíll actually be gigging one day on the USS Missouri! How cool is that? In the past Iíve gigged at some pretty amazing spots, but never before on a battleship! Iíll definitely post some pics afterward. This is gonna be totally wicked!

(Okay, Iím done gushing now. Back to the travel advice.)

• Mexihick, y'all

Re: Any Hawai'ians Here? Share Some Travel Advice, If You Don't Mind?

Hell, I wish I remembered the name of the shaved ice place that ROCKS. It's like out, by some mountains and some green trees and stuff.

But it rocks. It really does. Kono's? I don't know.

Go to North Shore, there are some really fun shops to look around, and some good Mexican food (or at least there was).

I haven't been to Hawaii since we played UH. Talk about a nightmare. A 7 inning game took like 3 hours b/c of all the rain that would come in from the mountains, then leave, then come in, then leave.....

Have fun, and bring your sunscreen!

• is on the rocks

Jazzman - how fun! Very cool that you get to take your wife.

North Shore is great - that's where all the surfers go, although I don't think there will be a whole lot going on in the summer. Get the shave ice from Matsumoto's. That place ALWAYS has a line!

In the Honolulu area, check out the Aloha Tower - there is an observation deck that gives you a view of the harbor. There are also some nice shops and restaurants. Go to the Bishop Museum if you want to learn about Hawai'ian culture and history. If you like hiking, check out Diamond Head. You get great views of Waikiki Beach at the top, esp. if you go early in the morning. There is also a shave ice place that is more known to the locals - Waiola.

Unfortunately, that's about all I remember from my trip there two years ago.
    She did it!

• Mexihick, y'all

I know, isn't that sad that we have been there and don't remember a thing?

Personally, I don't think I would return to Hawaii unless I had to go (like Jazzman has to). It just didn't do anything for me.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I liked Hawaii, went a few years ago - but the trip was long for me- 12 hour flight, so definetly not one I would really do again.

I do remember the Sea Life park- we really enjoyed that and than took the trolley back. The trolley driver kinda gives you a tour of all the places he passed - that was really great because you got an idea of what you may want to see.

We also had a plate lunch in some local joint which was really good!

Have fun!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Mexihick, y'all

Oh yeah, we did the Sea Life park, too!

Oh, and Hanama Bay. Although I heard you're not allowed to feed the fish anymore. Word to the freakin' wise: Remember to put sunblock (EXTRA) on your back. When you are snorkeling your back is to the sun.

We learned that the hard way. Coach was NOT pleased when half the team almost couldn't play due to sunburns. Our pitcher couldn't even move her arm.

• Banned User

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it. I hadn't heard of the Bishop Museum, I'm adding that to the list as well as Matsumoto's. We've been to the North Shore a couple of times but all we did was hit the beach. I think this time we'll check things out a little closer. I really want to climb Diamond Head, but I've heard that it's pretty much an all day thing and our gig schedule might not allow time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrrrl View Post
    In the Honolulu area, check out the Aloha Tower
    Unless there is more than one Aloha Tower we actually have a gig there too, so I'll be sure to hang around afterward and check it out.

Thanks again everybody! I'm so stoked to go (and escape the Northwest for a while) that I feel like those kids in the Disneyland commercials: I can't sleep, I'm too excited!

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

<---- Insanely jealous.

I went, I loved it, I want to go back. Oh yeah, and I got a nasty sunburn
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I know, isn't that sad that we have been there and don't remember a thing?

Personally, I don't think I would return to Hawaii unless I had to go (like Jazzman has to). It just didn't do anything for me.
    Yeah - I think it's called age.

I actually would love to go back to Hawai'i - but Maui and the big island.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate it. I hadn't heard of the Bishop Museum, I'm adding that to the list as well as Matsumoto's. We've been to the North Shore a couple of times but all we did was hit the beach. I think this time we'll check things out a little closer. I really want to climb Diamond Head, but I've heard that it's pretty much an all day thing and our gig schedule might not allow time for it.

Unless there is more than one Aloha Tower we actually have a gig there too, so I'll be sure to hang around afterward and check it out.

Thanks again everybody! I'm so stoked to go (and escape the Northwest for a while) that I feel like those kids in the Disneyland commercials: I can't sleep, I'm too excited!

LOL - that would be the one And I didn't think Diamond Head was an all day thing - my friends and I were in Honolulu for a friend's wedding, which was at 9:30 am. We got up about 5:30 am so we could hike to the top, since we heard that the early morning views were fantastic. They were - it was totally worth it. We started around 6 am, and were back at the hotel by around 8. We took some quick showers, and were at the wedding in plenty of time. I guess part of it depends on your fitness level - it's a short, but slightly intense and steep, hike.
    She did it!

• The Unknown Princess

This is what I do when I "play tourist" on Oahu:

Drive around the island making stops at Makapu'u Lighthouse, Blowhole, Kualoa Beach Park, Pupukea and anywhere else that I need to take a break or find interesting. I also drive up to Pali Lookout but please be careful because for some reasons the bees love it up there too.

If I had a week to "play tourist" I'd go to Arizonia Memorial, Polynesian Cultural Center, Sea Life Park (but if you're used to Sea World then it won't be as much fun but they do have a Dolphin U that you can attend for a fee where you get to learn more about the dolphins they have there), Bishop Museum, Dole Plantation (which has the biggest maze in the world - if I am not mistaken) and don't forget to go to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet which is a great place to get souveniors way cheaper than if you buy in Waikiki. The swap meet is held on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday but the weekend ones are bigger.

Waiola Shave Ice is better than Matsumoto's but if you're on the North Shore Matsumoto's is fine on a hot day.

Hiking up Diamond Head is rewarding with the view but realize that there is now a fee to hike ($1 I think) and just remember to bring water and a small flashlight (you have to walk through a small tunnel to get to the top which is leftovers from WWII).

Keep in mind that if you are the outdoorsy type please bear in mind the weather. Hiking is always fun but if there was recent rains it can cause flooding in streams where normally it would be easy. Sun can always be harsh so bring sunblock and pack it with you for the day even if its overcast. If you do get sunburn, use Aloe lotions since it seems to work very well.

If you're going to go swimming at the beach keep in mind that there can be some serious undertows that you can't see. If there is a lifeguard, don't hesitate to ask about conditions.

Be careful when taking pictures on a cliffy area...people see the shot but don't realize the dangers of stepping "one more setp closer" to get a better one.

For the summer session, Hanauma Bay is open daily from 6:00a.m. until 7:00p.m. except on Tuesdays. We are closed all day on Tuesdays. On the second and forth Saturdays of each month, Hanauma Bay remains open until 10:00p.m.

We do have a water park called Hawaiian Adventure Water Park that many like to go but I've been to some on the continental US that put this to shame.

Honolulu City and County Government Website They have a section for Kama'ai na (Locals) and Visitors.
    You may be able to find more things there that fit you.

Try not to buy things in Waikiki because it can be more expensive than in the outlying areas.

If you have more specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask here or PM me.

Have fun while visiting here and sometimes playing accidental tourist can help you find that gem that you and even I haven't seen yet.
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

• Mexihick, y'all

Dude, what's the name of that shaved ice place!? It's pass the look out thing, that way, down the mountain. Trees, flat land, mountains.

• That Guy

Jazz,

I have never been there, due to the terms of my probation.

I hope you have an amazing time, take lots of pics!!!

• The Unknown Princess

Dude, what's the name of that shaved ice place!? It's pass the look out thing, that way, down the mountain. Trees, flat land, mountains.
    LOL that describes about..all of Oahu! LOL

There are a lot of small mom-and-pop stores that sell shave ice. The degree that the iced are shaved are different in each store. Some are nothing more than crushed ice with syrup. Others are so finely shaved that it looks what I would think snow would look like (mind you I have never seen snow up close).

Is it nearer UH-Manoa? or Nearer Chinatown/Downtown? Please keep in mind that "downtown" to some isn't "downtown" to others. I call "downtown" near the Aloha Tower-Chinatown area. Others call Waikiki "downtown".

Back on topic, some other places I would love to spend time at is Ho'omaluhia Gardens, Foster Botanical Gardens and Moanalua Gardens (sorry couldn't find a good link to MG).

If you like museums check out Hawaii Museums.

Hope this helps some.
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    Part of the Disney Ohana

• Banned User

Thanks dizzydisneydee! I was reminded by another member about you this morning and planned on crafting a PM this afternoon asking to pick your brain, but you beat me to it! I really appreciate your tips and I think we'll do most of them. The drive around the island sounds perfect. I'd really like to climb Diamond Head, and since it turns out that I was ill-advised on how long it takes maybe we can work that in to. I think we're going to skip the water park and Hanauma Bay this time, but Sea Life may be something weíll check out. We've swum with the dolphins at another Sea Life facility and were completely blown away by it, so we're considering doing it in Hawai'i as well.

Here's a question you might have an opinion on. We're definitely going to do a luau, and Germaine's has always been our favorite (and incidentally inspired our wedding) but I've heard that Paradise Cove is great too. Any advice on which one? We're not really too interested in the PCC again, for reasons I won't get into, so Germaine's and Paradise are the two that we're considering.

Oh, and has anyone been to the zoo and aquarium? I'm a total sucker for zoos and aquariums, so I'm thinking of checking those out this time too.

Mahalo again!

• Banned User

We learned that the hard way. Coach was NOT pleased when half the team almost couldn't play due to sunburns. Our pitcher couldn't even move her arm.
    How funny. I did the exact same thing. I put on some sunscreen before snorkeling off into the depths, but wasn't nearly diligent enough about reapplying and got burned so bad that it necessitated an ER trip. To top it off, I sprayed myself down with some of that Solarcaine stuff, which I had an allergic reaction to. That was some serious pain. I was there for some gigs that time as well, and missing a gig wasn't an option, so I had to endure performing while my back felt like I'd been doused in acid. Thankfully I had the help of a couple of close friends named Mai Tai and Singapore Sling, so it was a lot better than it could have been.

Dee, thanks again. The botanical gardens looks great and I'd never heard of them before. Those are definitely a place where I can imagine me and The Mrs. slipping away to for a nice afternoon together. Awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast