• Banned User

Looking For Good Books To Read!

As many of you know, my dog passed away about 9 days ago. With my empty time, I'm looking for suggestions of good books to read.

I don't really like smutty love story types, but, do enjoy good tongue in cheek humor, or biographies that are good. Loved the book "Stiff". Books like that are entertaining and fascinating to me.

The latest I read were: Survivor, Running With Scissors, Dry. Two were biographies, which were sad, but, also humorous.

I just ordered, upon a friend's suggestion, "I'm Not Julia Roberts" about a stepfamily, etc.

Books I've loved were some by Dominick Dunne, who writes true life and fictional novels of crimes. Also, old classics like "In Cold Blood".
    So....toss em out there! What should I read??

• Senior Minion

Re: Looking For Good Books To Read!

Youth In Revolt by C.D. Payne

The **** Up by Arthur Nesesian

A Primate's Memoir by Robert M. Sapolsky

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers by Robert M. Sapolsky

• Circle of Ancients

I love all the Perri O'Shaugnessy books. It' s best if you read them in the order they were written . If you liked Encyclopedia Brown books as a kid, you will like these since they're what I'd consider the grown up version!

PS So sorry about your doggie I heart!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

If you loved Dominick Dunne, I suggest Ann Rule. She writes true crime novels. I would start with "A Stranger Beside Me" It is about Ted Bundy who she actually knew before it was found out that he was a serial killer.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    If you loved Dominick Dunne, I suggest Ann Rule. She writes true crime novels. I would start with "A Stranger Beside Me" It is about Ted Bundy who she actually knew before it was found out that he was a serial killer.
    I did read that one long ago (and living in Seattle...what a spooky tale!!) , that was an awesome book!!!!! Any others you'd recommend?

• Minion

Blog Entries

everyone one loves Harry Potter and if you start tomorrow you can finish 1-6 in time for the release!

fun, fast moving, definatly a time consumer

i'm sorry to hear about your doggy, but now he's happy, healthy and waiting for you in heaven!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    everyone one loves Harry Potter and if you start tomorrow you can finish 1-6 in time for the release!
    Not so much into Harry Potter, although, I did love the movies!

• Minion

Blog Entries

why not the books then, much more grown up then the movies

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    why not the books then, much more grown up then the movies
    Maybe I don't want to be grown up! Actually, maybe I will check them out at the library. A lot of my friends (ages 40's) loved the books!!!! You've convinced me!!

• Minion

Blog Entries

good! lol

alsp try
    gone with the wind
    Scarlett
    Outlander
    Disney wars(lol)

my bro loves the dragonriders of pern series, but there are alot of books that i very involving, and its fantasy so maybe, maybe not

• Minion

i found these for you!! Thought they might interest you

http://shopping.yahoo.com/bog%20Lovers%20Mystery%20Books:96639646

I have read a couple of Lee Charles Kelly, and these an easy read, and very entertaining!!

http://www.leecharleskelley.com/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/0060524936

Not only is this a great mystery, you get lots of great dog training tips as well. I found ex-cop Jack Field to be a very likeable guy. You can see with his relationship with the dogs as well as humans, that he is very caring, but he is also strong.

Jack, his dog, Frankie, and his foster son, Duke, left New York City and started a canine kennel in Maine. Duke's family had been gunned down and rather than let the gang kill Duke, Jack brought him -- with his grandmother's consent. The New York District Attorney was a different story.
    Jamie Cutter is Jack's girlfriend. She's also a part-time medical examiner. She brings Jack along when Allison DeMarco is found dead in her home because Allison's dog, Ginger, had been barking and everyone was afraid to go near her. Jack knows Ginger because he helped train her.
    Jack has a run in with Sam Kirby, Rockland County Sheriff Deputy. Then he meets Sheriff Horace Flynn, uncle to Jamie's soon-to-be ex-husband Oren. Sheriff Flynn doesn't like Jack, especially after he determines the relationship between Jack and Jamie.
    Jack ends up bringing Ginger back to his kennel.
    The local police have decided Tim Berry killed Allison. Tim and Allison's daughter, Tara, take off in a flurry of bullets.
    After Jack gets shot, Mrs. Murtaugh, who helps run the kennel, has her granddaughter Audrey Stafford work at the kennels to help out. Audrey falls in love with Ginger and vice versa.
    Jack is positive Tim didn't kill Allison and begins investigating. Jamie assists him.
    Jack can't figure out why Sheriff Flynn is still involved in the case since Carl Staub of the Camden police is in charge of the investigation. And then there's Sam Kirby. Jack spies Kirby tailing him, among other things. I highly recommend this book and can't wait to read the next book!

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• Senior Minion

The Stephanie Plum novels (one for the money, two for the dough...etc) by Janet Evanovich are pretty good.

I also like the Tea Shop Murders by Laura Childs.

As for a biography, I read: Lord Of The Dance by Michael Flatley and it gave me a better appriciation for Irish Dance, for him and his shows.

Sorry about your doggie!!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I did read that one long ago (and living in Seattle...what a spooky tale!!) , that was an awesome book!!!!! Any others you'd recommend?
    OK then it is time for you to read Small Sacrifices. This is about Diane Downs who shot her children. They did make a movie about her with Farrah Fawcett but the book is great. Since you lived in Seattle and most of Ann Rule's books are based on crimes committed up in that area you will probably enjoy them. The one book of hers that I did not think was up to her usual par was Green River Killer. She does have a few books that have a number of different true crime stories. I will usually read them when I can only spare a few hours so that I can complete a whole story.

• Circle of Ancients

I avoided reading the HP books because I am "Grown Up" as well.

But as soon as I picked up Book 1 I didn't put them down until I finished book 6. I actually finished them all in a little over a month. They were THAT good.

You will not be dissapointed.

• Banned User

Thank you all SO much!!!! I will be checking out the HP books soon!!!!

I love the suggestions! Again, thank you!!!