Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Car Ideas or Websites?

Hey there! I will be trading in my trusty Chevy Cavalier this weekend and I am trying to find some suggestions to buy. Here is my criteria:

1. Has to cost between 10-12k, I will take a slighty used vehicle.
    2. Needs to be 4 door, as I have a family and I'm not exactly small, comfort is a big thing for me.
    3. It has to be blue, I know, sounds stupid but the last two cars I had were gold, and frankly, I want a blue car.
    4. Also not opposed to getting a bigger vehicle, like a van or SUV, gas mileage isn't that big a deal to me. However, with my price range I just don't see that happening.
    5. HAS to be reliable, I just can't afford to have a car break down all the time, I like my Chevy's, never had a problem with them.

So if anyone can testify to a certain car they like that falls within my categories, please let me know! Also, if you know of any cars to avoid, post that too.

Thanks!

• Banned User

Re: Car Ideas or Websites?

try a GM or Honda..

GM usually doent have problems (my car is a flook...) (not to mention they sponsor Test track for a little while longer)

and Hondas have better gas millage to help ease the wallet with those 70+ mile trips... (not to mention they sponsor Remember, dreams come true)

but what do I know... i'm just a college student with a car thats has a check engine light on for 6 months now, and no one knows why...

• Banned User

I want to tell you, go used certified!!! I did, got total coverage on my car, it was new when I bought it ( 2004) but was used for 2 months and had very little mileage on it. it cost just over $5,000 and I love it! its a chev impala. I also added a 4 year warranty after the cars warranty expires, its covered for 8 years! look for certified used cars, they have the same 4 year warranty, and can be just a few months old good luck Summer!!

• That Guy

Honda Honda Honda

Oh, did I mention Honda?

I have a Nissan Xterra, and I love it, but I envy my buddies who pay pennies to fill up their Honda Civics. Great little cars, will run forever. I am still leary of US made cars, they're close, and getting better, but not just yet.

Also, I recommend that you check with your local credit union, most have a great car finding unit, that does all the legwork for you, and negotiates for the best price.

Good luck, happy hunting!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Honda Honda Honda

Oh, did I mention Honda?

I have a Nissan Xterra, and I love it, but I envy my buddies who pay pennies to fill up their Honda Civics. Great little cars, will run forever. I am still leary of US made cars, they're close, and getting better, but not just yet.

Also, I recommend that you check with your local credit union, most have a great car finding unit, that does all the legwork for you, and negotiates for the best price.

Thank you! I had considered a Honda, but was worried about the reliability, good to see you say that!

• Former Loiterer

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe, and after 6 years, this thing still kicks butt. It's a small SUV, but it was big enough to move my entire dorm room in one trip when I graduated. It gets decent mileage, and a new one starts at $19K (so a gently used one would be right in your price range). Also: Killer Warranty 10-year 100,000 mile powertrain, 5-year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper. Aside from regular maintenance, the only time I've had it in the shop was for a funky spark plug issue the dealer caused when it was in for regular maintenance. I know Hyundai used to have a really BAD rep, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my car! (And the blue they have is really nice)
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

• Minion

Honda or Toyota are your best bets..

Have you considered buying a Scion? You can find used xB's and xA's for around 12k.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Honda Honda Honda

Oh, did I mention Honda?

My guy has an Xterra and a couple other friends of mine have one too and they all love it. Hondas are great little cars too. A friend of mine bought a Civic last year for work commutes (he lives in Wesley Chapel but works in Leesburg) to keep the miles off his Mustang and he likes it a lot too.

Also, Summer, MacDill FCU has several used car sales throughout the year. Next time I get work of one (I get emails as I'm a member of the CU) I'll let you know.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Onuts choices for your criteria are as follows:

Mazda3
    Honda Civic
    Honda CRV
    Toyota RAV4

All are great slightly used cars IMHO. New too of course.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Honda and Hyundai seem to be the cars of choice, both here and at work. I appreciate the input, gives me something to research.

Thanks so much! I'll let you know what I get on Saturday.

• Minion

Hyundai sucks. I would NEVER recommend one of those. Cheap metal, cheap components...

Worse than a ford.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Hyundai sucks. I would NEVER recommend one of those. Cheap metal, cheap components...

Worse than a ford.

Ewww, I don't like Ford, the last one I had the engine caught on fire, evil vehicles. IMHO

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post

Worse than a ford.

I didn't want to say this, but I WAS thinking it.

I hear they are better now, but still can't compete with Honda. Additionally, Honda cars hold their value, so you can sell it down the road and do well. If you get bored, compare two like vehicles (Honda & Hynudai) and see how they compare, and how resale value goes..

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Yea, I've heard how Hyundai has improved. I just can't get the taste of the 1986 Excel or 1988 Sonata out of my mouth.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

No to Hayundai.

YES to Honda or Toyota.
    my Toyota lasted 10 years, and woulda lasted longer if I'd taken better care of it.
    I'm not a big fan of the chevy I have now.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast