Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,393

    Alternatives or Complements to Disneyland

    One of the best aspects of southern California is the sheer variety of attractions that the region offers. What substitutes, or complements, to Disneyland do you like to visit, and why are they among your favorite places to go?

  2. #2

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,665

    Re: Alternatives or Complements to Disneyland

    When people start threads about where to stay or what to do during their 8 day Disneyland vacations I always tell them to go to the beach. Either Huntington, Newport, or Laguna.

    Newport Beach especially complements the Disneyland experience. Disneyland is located at 1313 Harbor Blvd., which is named after Newport Harbor. Newport Harbor was featured in America the Beautiful. The old Disneyland gazebo is now at Rogers Gardens. The Balboa Bay Club was built by Jack Wrather, who built the Disneyland Hotel. The tidepools in Little Corona and Crystal Cove are extremely reminiscent of the Sub Lagoon.

    As an aside, growing up in Orange County, I have seen two types of tourists. Those who go to Disneyland and don't even think of going to the beach, and those who go the beach and never would even think of going to Disneyland. These tourists think Disneyland is a place for kids but if families go to the beach all decked out in Mickey Mouse shirts and ears, maybe this set of tourists will think about spending some time at the DLR.

  3. #3

    • Super Genius
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ventura, California
    Posts
    429

    Re: Alternatives or Complements to Disneyland

    I would say visit Balboa Park which is twice the size of NYC's Central Park. Or try the The Gaslamp District
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

  4. #4

    • Super Genius
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ventura, California
    Posts
    429

    Re: Alternatives or Complements to Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume
    When people start threads about where to stay or what to do during their 8 day Disneyland vacations I always tell them to go to the beach. Either Huntington, Newport, or Laguna.
    I always say if I ever had to leave California, the two things I would miss the most would be the beach and Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume
    These tourists think Disneyland is a place for kids but if families go to the beach all decked out in Mickey Mouse shirts and ears, maybe this set of tourists will think about spending some time at the DLR.
    Everyone I know thinks Disneyland is "a kids' place" which is why I didn't go from 1990 to 2004, and in 1991 to 1993 I lived in LA! I heard a comic say "when you have out of state friends and you live in LA where do they want to go? Disneyland" and he rolled his eyes as though it were a chore.

    But: when I go to Lake Havasu we stay at the London Bridge resort and go to Kokomo which is the largest nightclub in Arizona and we wear Disneyland hats. I wear Mickey Sorcerer and my best friend wears "Caution a-head"
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

  5. #5

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: Alternatives or Complements to Disneyland

    The best public gardens that charge an admission fee are The Huntington in San Marino and Descanso Gardens in La Canada-Flintridge.

    The L.A. County Arboretum in Arcadia is not quite as interesting. Neither is the Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Gardens in Claremont; however, that site does not charge a fee.

    The botanical gardens of the University of California, at Riverside, also offer free admission, and they are quite expansive while Prospect Park and the Italianate gardens of Kimberly Crest in Redlands are smaller and less scientifically-oriented but more historic and more attractive.

  6. #6

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: Alternatives or Complements to Disneyland

    The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach is a nice facility, and the Birch Aquarium, at Scripps, in La Jolla is also worthwhile.

    Has anyone been to the Birch Aquarium recently?

  7. #7

    • .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,923

    Re: Alternatives or Complements to Disneyland

    Kimberly Crest is beautiful. I tend to direct people there if they want something to do in this area.
    As far as me, I am an advocate of the Snow to Surf "tour" of California.
    Start in Idyllwild, do some hiking and catch some small town atmosphere (without the tourist-kitch of Big Bear) head down to Palm Desert, check out "The Living Desert." Redlands for Kimberly Crest and the Lincoln Shrine. Disneyland. Corona del Mar. Phillippe's in Downtown LA. Dodger Stadium. Hollywood and Highland.
    It's about a week's worth, right there.

  8. #8

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: Alternatives or Complements to Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Kimberly Crest is beautiful. I tend to direct people there if they want something to do in this area.
    As far as me, I am an advocate of the Snow to Surf "tour" of California.
    Start in Idyllwild, do some hiking and catch some small town atmosphere (without the tourist-kitch of Big Bear) head down to Palm Desert, check out "The Living Desert." Redlands for Kimberly Crest and the Lincoln Shrine. Disneyland. Corona del Mar. Phillippe's in Downtown LA. Dodger Stadium. Hollywood and Highland.
    It's about a week's worth, right there.
    How is The Living Desert? I've never been there, but I've considered going. It seems a little limited, though.

    Are all the animals there native to California's deserts?
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 05-24-2007 at 10:46 PM.

  9. #9

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: Alternatives or Complements to Disneyland

    Speaking of Hollywood & Highland, I've had good times exploring a myriad of places on foot while using the L.A. Metro Red and Gold Lines, as well as the San Diego Trolley system and Metrolink's commuter rail service.

    Trains are always fun, and several interesting attractions exist within walking distance of many of the stations. Being on foot also makes a day-trip seem more like an adventure.

  10. #10

    • is too darn hot.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    It's all about the LBC, yo!
    Posts
    14,849

    Re: Alternatives or Complements to Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Speaking of Hollywood & Highland, I've had good times exploring a myriad of places on foot while using the L.A. Metro Red and Gold Lines, as well as the San Diego Trolley system and Metrolink's commuter rail service.

    Trains are always fun, and several interesting attractions exist within walking distance of many of the stations. Being on foot also makes a day-trip seem more like an adventure.
    Speaking of trains/trolleys, the Red Line is expanding to 3rd and Fairfax in the future. At that intersection is the LA Farmer's Market full of quirky little restaurants and shops and next to that is The Grove, a new upscale shopping center. Connecting the two is a restored 19th century double-decker trolley. Truly a treat to ride. And it's free.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

    On Track for Weight Loss!


Similar Threads

  1. Local WDCC Store has closed, any good on-line alternatives?
    By Skawt in forum Disney Collectables
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
  2. Structure vs. other parking alternatives
    By trojanrobmc in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 12:19 AM
  3. Alternatives or Complements to Disneyland
    By PragmaticIdealist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 11:35 PM
  4. Open Source Programs -- Free Alternatives
    By FrumiousBoojum in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 10:00 AM
  5. Alternatives to Animatronics
    By PragmaticIdealist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 12:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •