Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Thurl,gone,not forgotten

Share your cool geneology stories here

I found out this week I'm the 10th cousin to George W Bush's grandfather Prescott Sheldon Bush.My 2 children are 11th cousins to
    George Bush senior.We share a common great grand father who came to america about 1630,named William Learned.

My father's father served in World War One as an airplane maintenance man,and served in England the last 3 months of the war.He wrote a post war journal of the first 8 months he served.Unfortunately only 5 days worth of on site journal still remains.Really cool to read something from a long lost relative.He actually saw what was then the worlds largest passenger ship,the german ship Vaterland that was converted to the troop ship USS Leviathan.Humphrey Bogart served on her after the war ended.

What interesting people exist in your family tree?

Last edited by UncleTheodore; 05-26-2007 at 06:23 AM.

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Share your cool geneology stories here

cool thread

Patrick Henry. Betsy Ross. Dolly Madison.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

We were able to trace my moms side back to the revolution. There were 2 men, a father and his son, who were german but were part of the British Army (no they weren't Hessians). They were attached to Gen Cornwallis's army and served with the occupation forces of Phillidelphia and fought at the battle of Yorktown. After the battle, they were taken as POW's to a camp in the Shenandoah Valley where after the revolution was over, they decided stay and become farmers.

Sometime in the early 1800's, part of the family moved from Virginia to Illinois. During the Civil War, the Illinois group had 2 of its members join the Illinois Cavalry (they both died at Vicksburg), and 3 others serve for 2-3 months in Tennessee. The other side of the family had 3 of its members in Stonewall Jackson's Brigrade.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Huh?

My family was part of the Crabtrees that helped found Boonesborough with the more famous Daniel and Squire Boone. Sad tale, though -- Isaac Crabtree was the only white survivor of the James Boone massacre (apparently, him and at least one slave named Adam ran away). That changed his outlook a bit and he became really bitter against all native americans, which is why he took his revenge out on a boy that was just standing by a fence watching a race (Isaac really does sound like a coward -- running away from a fight, killing a defenseless boy when he's not looking...). There was a huge reward out for Isaac Crabtree's capture, but it wasn't given to anybody because, while it was a lot of money, he also killed one of the native americans, which people thought of as a good thing...

Another interesting thing in my lineage: My last name is supposed to be something like Robinson. Apparently, at some point in the past, one of my grandfathers got upset with his father and decided to take his mother's maiden name.

On my mother's side, Leonard Slye (aka Roy Rogers) is a cousin and Will Rogers married a cousin. My mother's family is a bit difficult to track past her father's parents. They claimed to be from St. Louis and was born there, but at some point after their death, it was discovered that their names were Matthias Frank and Bertha Lawski, from Germany and Russia. Because of the family resemblance that my mother had when she was younger, we suspect that he might be part of the more famous Franks that included Otto and Anne. But no genealogical proof since we can't trace anything of their families.
    -Tim

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I found out this week I'm the 10th cousin to George W Bush's grandfather Prescott Sheldon Bush.My 2 children are 11th cousins to
    George Bush senior.
    My condolences.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Irish. Yah baby, Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    My condolences.

I'm actually proud of my heritage.
    This is not a political thread.Please,Bush bash else where.
    I'm more a liberatarian than republican.I believe less government is better.Besides Bush is almost Democrat with all the spending he's done.Fred Thompson for President!!!
    Last edited by UncleTheodore; 05-26-2007 at 03:39 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    We were able to trace my moms side back to the revolution. There were 2 men, a father and his son, who were german but were part of the British Army (no they weren't Hessians).
    My mom's family apparently were Hessians. I remember my grandma had some research done, so I'll have to figure out who ended up with the information.

Great thread idea!
    A signature should go here.

The same branch of my family tree has a family named Rose that goes back to Revolution times.One particular father and sons were on both sides of the conflict.One son also my great grand father was a patriot while his father was a Tory(Loyalist).His brother was on the dad's side as well.The town of Roseville,PA was named after them.

another great granddad served in the Union as a saddler for the 1st West Virginia cavalry the last year of the Civil War.He was at Appomattox when the Confederates surrendered.George Custer was one of the commanders and present at the courthouse.I bet my Great grandpa atleast seen him if not serve under his command.

One great granddad was kidnapped in England at age 8,and sold as a slave in Connecticutt until his 21st birthday,then freed.
    Last edited by UncleTheodore; 05-30-2007 at 04:03 AM.

• Sock Puppet

Wow! Thats awesome that you can trace your family tree back that far and know so much.

All I know is that I am part Pennsylvania Dutch and Native America. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    Wow! Thats awesome that you can trace your family tree back that far and know so much.

All I know is that I am part Pennsylvania Dutch and Native America. haha.
    Actually others posted info on line about the people prior to the 1850's,that kind of research takes hundreds of hour of painstaking work.
    Ancestry.com helped alot with my immediate family.All the assumptions my mother told me as a kid were way off.She said we were part dutch,which I have yet to find.She never metioned the large percentage of British ancestery,the German part I already knew about.
    My entire family migrated to america by the mid 1800's.It make those history channel shows more interesting when you know when and where your family was during that time.I think everyone should look into their family histories.It changed my misconceptions about my grand father.He was a mystery until just a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson View Post
    Irish. Yah baby, Irish.
    My great great great grand father Galligher came to america during the great potato famine,in the 1840's

I'm somehow related to my mother and father.

Or so I'm told.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

My maternal 5x-great grandfather (Matthew Bristow Wheelwright) and family emigrated from England in the early 1850's with the Mormons. Took a steamship from Liverpool, then a barge up the Mississippi to Kansas City, then across the plains to Salt Lake City. Former Utah governor Leavitt is a distant cousin of mine, through my paternal grandmother. Wheelwright Lumber in Ogden was founded by relatives in the late 1850's .. provided railroad ties for the union pacific.. the husband of my 4x-great aunt (daughter of Matthew B.) was in the famous picture of the completion of the transcontinental railroad, here he is, circled in red:

Myers Mortuaries (northern Utah) is run by my great-uncle and his sons. That's about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast