Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Hawaii

• Sock Puppet

Going to Hawaii

On June 2, i finally going to Hawaii. This will be my first time. My family and i are going to Maui for about 10 days. I have some places that i want to go to, but i want to ask my fellow micechatters what are awesome places to go on Maui.

• Goofy

Re: Going to Hawaii

Wow Cool, I don't know anything about hawaii but as they say aloha!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

What types of things do you like to do?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Napili Bay just a few miles north of touristy Kaanapali, and just south of big-bucks Kapalua. Park at the Napili Kai Hotel and enter the bay through their lobby. The whole bay will spread out before you. You'll think you've gone back to the 1960's and the much slower paced Hawaii of the past. Now walk down to the beach itself. You've got the most incredible view on earth framed in the distance by both Lanai and Molokai islands. Crystal blue water. Sand so fine that it feels more like flour between your toes. Gentle lapping surf. Great snorkeling. Forget the crowded and brown-choppy shore-breaker waves of Kaanapali. That's for amateurs. You're in heaven baby! The locals know. And now you do too. Walk back up to the Napili Kai's "Whale Watcher Bar" and have a Napili Kai cocktail (say "Hi" to Darlene) looking through the bars open windows. Pluck a Praying Mantis off the ferns growing inside the bar from lava rock, and put it on your shoulder. It's good luck. You may never want to leave. Have lunch or dinner at their "Sea House" restaurant. Some of the best food in Maui. No transient tourists here (except you, perhaps). This place is for those "in the know" that have been coming there for generations! The Hawaii of your dreams.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone I told 'ya.

http://www.napilikai.com/video/movie.wmv

• Banned User

Right on! I'll be in Waikiki on the 16th! Hawai'i rocks!

I'd love to offer ideas, but I've only ever been to Oahu. I hope you have loads of fun though! Let us know how it goes, and pics of course are always good!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

There is a golf course resort about 20 minutes north of Kaanapali that has a view of the sunset that is to die for. It's called Kapalua, and you don't have to golf there or stay there to eat at their restaurant. The sun drops into the ocean between Molokai and Lanai, and it is awesome.

Lahaina is fanastic.

Sunrise atop Haleakala is incredible. I'm told that bicycling down the mountain is a lot of fun.

In Kaanapali, walk down the beach to the Black Rock near the Sheraton. It's fun to dive in from the edge of Black Rock.

Snorkeling trips to Molokini are overrated, but some people dig 'em.

The road to Hana is amazing. Stop at Keanae (sp?), visit the black sand beach, hit some of the waterfall sideroads (several are very short) and go past Hana to visit the Seven (not) Sacred Pools for a great view, maybe a swim, and a stop at Charles Lindbergh's grave.

The drive around the north is kind of hairy, but the scenery is great, and worth it if you skipped Hana.

Near the airport, Mama's Fish House has the best food on the island.

The Iao Needle is a good side trip, but nothing compared to Hana or Haleakala.

Investing in the Maui Entertainment Book ahead of time is a good idea. Eating at any restaurant that has a 2 for 1 (other than those in the Entertainment Book) is not a good idea. Worst meals on the island. However, if you use the book, there are great deals. e.g., the Sunday brunch at the Westin Maui.

If you've never done a swim with the dolphins thing, there are a couple of places to do that. There are some helicopter tours, too, but I've never done either of those things.

Best luaus can be found at the Old Lahaina Luau (#1), but we also liked the oe at the Maui Marriott.

That's about all I have to say about that....
    Fight On! Beat the Utes!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• The Unknown Princess

Take my advice for what its worth for I have only been to Maui once even though I live a 30 minute flight away.

http://www.mauioceancenter.com/home.html an aquarium that I have heard is awesome. I haven't been there but am planning or trying to plan a day trip to go visit it.

Haleakala Crater at sunrise ---yes you have to wake up at 3:30 and drive up there to catch the sunrise but I have heard its breathtaking but be careful if you have someone who is pregnant or has hard time breathing -- the air up there is very very thin. If you're into outdoors and biking they do have a bike ride DOWN from Haleakala which I heard is fun.

One thing I would do when I land at the airport is to grab some of those "touristy" looking pamphlets. They do have a lot of info and they also have some coupons that could possibly help you plan your trip. They have a publication for each island and tells you what is going on that week.

Just don't leave them or any valuables in the car. Enjoy your stay, take tons of pictures, use lots of sunscreen and wear a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    There is a golf course resort about 20 minutes north of Kaanapali that has a view of the sunset that is to die for. It's called Kapalua, and you don't have to golf there or stay there to eat at their restaurant. The sun drops into the ocean between Molokai and Lanai, and it is awesome.
    Bzzzzzz! Afraid that view is extremely corrupted at the moment.

Take my recommendation of Napili Bay instead! It is just before you get to Kapalua and Kapalua is not only much more expensive...but is a MESS right now and will be for several years. There are 4 massive construction cranes ruining your view and quiet right now...with more coming...renovating the old Kapalua Bay Hotel. And work begins on refurbishing the Ritz Carlton Kapalua any day now, too. Equipment everywhere. Some areas you might not notice much. But most of Kapalua right now...not the place to be, IMHO (having just returned from there a few weeks ago).

Also...Kapalua is too modern-resorty to me. Napili Bay is "old school" let-your-hair-down Hawaii. But don't expect much variety in services. The Napili Kai's restaurant and bar is all there is. But that's all you'll need! One of the best bays and beaches and views in the world. IMHO.

• Minion

I am so jealous!! I LOVE Hawaii! Have fun for me and take TONS of pics!!

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• For old time sake

Road to Hanna. BUT....leave before sun up. Otherwise you are in for a long uphill winding road trip. I say leave your hotel at 5:30am or 5;45am. You'll avoid alot of tourist traffic and can have an awesome, relaxing breakfast at the Hotel Hanna (They have valet parking that is reasonably priced).

Black sand beaches, waterfalls....can't miss it. Spend some time in Wailea Makena and have lunch at the Grand Wailea. (if you feel like TRULY splurging, there is a Spago at the Four Seasons which is close to the Grand Wailea) Kiheh (sp?) is a great place as well. Lahaina is pretty touristy but I was not impressed much with it, but you can get inexpensive helicopter rides, para sailing, tickets there.

All of the above metioned places are in South Maui!!!!
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Circle of Ancients

Definitely go to Haleakala because it is such a surreal experience. You have to get up at 3 am to get there in time for the sunrise , but if you go early enough into your vacation, you won't feel the early time as much. And be sure to wear warm clothes and take a blanket since it can get cold.

Also, be sure to spend a day going to Hana...get the CD to listen to in your car and make all the stops. An be sure to take the hike to the 7 pools...it is amazing!

• Sock Puppet

Thanks and i will try to post some pictures daily

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan4 View Post
    Thanks and i will try to post some pictures daily

Those will be fun to see. I also want to recommend that you stay overnight in Hana , but not in one of the ritzy places, but in one of the more outdoorsy places. They have real tree houses you can stay in and a few years ago my family and I found this really cool hut like house in the middle of a beautiful garden that was like what Hawaii was like to stay in 30 years ago..that was one of the highlights of that trip for us.

• Sock Puppet

i just got back tonight from Maui. It was freakin awesome. We did lots of stuff like snorkle, shop, hiked. We also went to oahu for 1 day. We went to Pearl Harbor which probably one of my highlights of my trip.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

wait....you're not going to disney World????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast