• Disappearing/Reappearing

Injured stray cat....

Hello everyone, I know there are a ton of cat owners/lovers here, so, what better place to come for advice? A little black and white cat came to our house riht before vacation (probably about 3 weeks ago), she was really sweet, and very small....the neighbor's kid said it was his new cat and her name was Faith. Well, I feed alot of strays in the neighborhood (since the storm, there are a few that you know HAD to have belonged to someone)..anyway, she always came up to eat when I put the food out...she's was SOO thin and tiny, I didn't mind. When we went on vacation, I worried about her and arranged for the lady next door to me to continue feeding her (she also feeds strays). When we came back, the cat was still there....I have been feeding her daily and nightly, when a couple of days ago we noticed a horrible injury on her tail. It goes all the way around the base of the tail, hair is missing, and it is oozy. I figured, she'd clean it and I'd leave it alone... after about 4 days, it does look a little better, but, its still a little oozy. Since, she's not my cat...and I can't really adopt her (allergies), taking her to the vet is a last resort. Which I will do if it comes down to it. But, I was wondering....should I try putting some peroxide on it? At least that would clean it a little more...or should I leave her to her own devices? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

Re: Injured stray cat....

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    A little black and white cat came to our house riht before vacation (probably about 3 weeks ago), she was really sweet, and very small....the neighbor's kid said it was his new cat and her name was Faith.
    If you think it is the neighborís cat, have you tried bringing it over to their house to see if they know it is hurt?

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

That would be my first step also. Go talk to the adults at the house. The kid may have just been saying that as wishful thinking. If it is their cat, you can mention you noticed the injury and see what they say. If it isn't, well ... guess you get to take it to the vet

On the bright side, even if she is a stray, cats can be very resiliant. If you take her to the vet, she'll likely get antibiotics and maybe soap to clean her owie. My cat had a nasty looking abcess open up, but I kept it clean, gave her the antibiotics, and she's fine.

I'd worry about the injury going all the way around the base of the tail.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Clearing my Calendar

Do not put peroxide on it. It's beyond that point.

Take the little one to a vet. If you do some googling, you should be able to find even a non-profit chairty who might be able to help (by taking her in or arranging for a visit with one of their vets) as well, if you don't have the funds.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I know shelters often do this for neutering and spaying, so they might be able to help out, especially if the stray is friendly, they might be willing to take it in, if no one claims the cat, and the cat is friendly, as you say it is.

Let s know what happens!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Still wants to be a cat!

What area do you live in..? Maybe I can help.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Take it to a shelter but try to take it to a no-kill shelter of at all possible. They have vets there that can make kitty better and place it up for adoption if it doesn't already have a home.