Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Still wants to be a cat!

What exactly is a Root Canal?

Mr.Lightyear just had one done today.....what does it entail? How bad is the pain once the Novacaine wheres off? What can he eat this evening? The Dentist said soft food, but not sure what that means. They gave him two prescriptions, one is an antibotic and one is a pain killer (Vicodin).

I've never had one done, so at a total loss as to what to expect this evening.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Re: What exactly is a Root Canal?

They're supposed to take out the pulp (?) in the tooth they do the root canal on if I'm correct. When I had one done, all I ate the whole week was apple sauce, yogurt, Jell-O, soup, etc. The pain was bad for me but they gave me codeine. I did a lot better with my regular ol' Motrin to actually taking away the pain than codeine.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/Roo...18055#hw172337

Hope your husband feels better ASAP!

• Gay Man

They actually do in a remove the nerve from the tooth. I've had 2 done and I felt like my mouth had gone to war. Soups, mashed potatoes - anything that you don't have to put in a lot of effort to chew is good. Of course, with Vicodin he may not be awake enough to care. I choose not to take the Vicodin and just took Advil.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Well, the tooth itself shouldn't hurt since they took the root out, but he may be tender from having the work done. I know my jaw was killing me afterwards, but I have a really small mouth. (It's true! Ask my dentist!) Because they took the root out, the tooth is a little unstable, so that's why he'll need softer food for a few days.
    A signature should go here.

Boy is he in for a surpise then...I would prefer him to just use Motrin, but he's such a baby when it comes to pain (a man thing I think, no offense to any men on this board). I made a Ham Casserole tonight, which is mainly rice and he thinks thats going to just fine.

Another question.....Will he be able to go to the Agency tomorrow and talk on the phone, or should he just plan on working from home?

- Wolfette

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

He'll probably be fine to go in to work, but everyone is different. I went in the day after my wisdom teeth extraction and that was too much, but I never had any problems with my root canals.

If he's looking for a reason to stay home though, I'll be happy to back him up!
    A signature should go here.

• Gay Man

If he can handle the pain, he can go to work. However, I wouldn't recommend working on vicodin.

Vicodin will just knock him out.....might be a good thing.

- Wolfette

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Every person and every tooth is different. My one and only root canal was no big deal. Painless. When the novacaine wore off, I was hopped up on vicodin, and the pain stayed away. A day or two or three later, I was chewing as normal.

Mrs. Steamboatpete has had at least two. One I recall being no big deal. Another one slammed her pretty hard. She was in intense pain for two days or so.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• no flash photography...

I'm having one on Monday. My tooth is cracked right now. Hopefully it's no worse than the 9 shots they gave me before they realized my tooth would not numb. I was very sore from that. I could barely move my jaw the next day.

My BF has had several root canals and he said they aren't that bad. My Mother has had a few done and she said the Novocaine wore off and there was no pain, she did not even need aspirin.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    Vicodin will just knock him out.....might be a good thing.
    vidodin does not knock me out. It makes me feel woozy and dizzy sometimes, but defiantly does no knock me out. I'm on that now for the cracked tooth pain. I'm also on the antibiotics now. I'm looking forward to the root canal. I'm tired of the pain.

• Senior Minion

tThe most painful part of the root canal is in the beginning, when they do what's called a pulpotomy; that's not fun, and when the novocaine wears off, it can really smart.

He may also want to try gargling with salt water, or perhaps chloroaseptic.

Unless it's really swollen, which I suspect it probably isn't, he should be fine the next day, or the day after--a little sore, perhaps. Then comes the monotonous part of clearing out the remainder of the tooth, putting in a post, and then a crown.

Tell him we hope he feels better soon!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I had a root canal done last year. What they do it put packing around the exposed nerve so it's not sensitive. I was fine until the numbness wore off... then all hell broke loose. I'm a total wuss for pain but this was bad. I ended up leaving work early. I had a script for Tylenol 3 but I had a bad reaction to the codeine so I was home sick the next day as a result. I finally felt a little better after I tossed my cookies but still felt a bit woozy.

And now my dentist wants to pull my wisdom teeth? NO WAY, JOSE!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Wow. Some bad stories here. I've had 5 root canals and with all 5 the procedures were no worse than a regular filling, except longer and with more novacain shots. When the novacain wore off, the only pain was in my jaw and where the shots were injected. All I took was Tylenol (I get horribly sick on vicodine which I took for a toothach before a root canal).

When I've needed a root canal, I only have them done by an endodontist, not a general dentist.

• GO DBACKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    And now my dentist wants to pull my wisdom teeth? NO WAY, JOSE!
    Oh, please get your wisdom teeth pulled asap!!! I waited several years to have mine pulled because I was in school, then out of school with no insurance, then back in school again. By the time I got out of school and had a good job with insurance one of the wisdom teeth had grown close to a nerve. I had them removed and now part of my jaw, chin and lip are nearly numb. DONT WAIT!!

That ends this public service announcement. Now back to your regularly scheduled dental chat.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast