Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• off in lala land

Homeless - Will work for food

At least once a week, I go to the same shopping center near my work and I see the same person holding the same sign "Homeless- Will work for food". He sits on an old milk crate and his sign near the left turn lane waiting for hand outs. I have seen many people give him money, personally I don't feel compelled to do so. It seems as this guy has made it his job to live on the handouts of others.

It brought me to this... who gives and why give?
    ...it's been a long time.

• That Guy

Re: Homeless - Will work for food

Giving money is just enabling the behavior, like caving into the demands of a crying kid in the cereal isle.

Find out your local homeless resources, and pass that info along. Many people make more money begging, than we do when we're at work, I'm sure you've seen the news reports.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Many people make more money begging, than we do when we're at work, I'm sure you've seen the news reports.
    Yeah a homeless man here in Fresno is no longer "homeless" he now owns a car thanks to those who hand him money while they are getting off the highway.

• Minion

There are people that live in my neighbourhood that walk to the corner near a major highway. The hold out a "stranded while traveling to......(wherever)...Help please.....need food and cash".
    I have passed when they "switch shifts" and hand the sign over, and they walk back to their house. It is people like this that make me not give.....to anyone.
    Sorry, but there are too many scammers!

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    There are people that live in my neighbourhood that walk to the corner near a major highway. The hold out a "stranded while traveling to......(wherever)...Help please.....need food and cash".
    I have passed when they "switch shifts" and hand the sign over, and they walk back to there house. It is people like this that make me not give.....to anyone.
    Sorry, but there are too many scammers!

You're right, it's too easy to get burned. Also, it's not safe to have your window down, talking to some random stranger like that. People get lulled into a false sense of security, like they're dealing with some lost, friendly puppy.

• That Guy

After you hear a sob story, ask the person if they would like you to call the police, so they can offer them help. This usually causes the person to make a gas face, and quickly walk away.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I usually do not stop if it's just me.....hubby will stop and ask if he can buy them something to eat....and I used to carry around a paper bag in my car with a cereal bar, peanut butter crackers, a fruit cup and bottle of water to give out f I ran across someone. I never giv emoney.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

There's a dude near my office who stands by the freeway exit holding an empty gasoline can and points to it and asks for a "dollar for gas." Every day. He lives at a motel about a mile away.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    I usually do not stop if it's just me.....hubby will stop and ask if he can buy them something to eat....and I used to carry around a paper bag in my car with a cereal bar, peanut butter crackers, a fruit cup and bottle of water to give out f I ran across someone. I never giv emoney.
    My grandfather used to give them cigarettes cause that or alcohol is what they wanted.

•   

There's a guy in front of the Starbucks I go to and this dude is totally homeless. Out of about 10 people that are there on average, he's the only one I'll give money to. He's been wearing the same clothes for over a year and hasn't washed them once. The smell is terrible! He doesn't even ask for anything though. He's just out there. I try to help him out when I can.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Giving money is just enabling the behavior, like caving into the demands of a crying kid in the cereal isle.

Find out your local homeless resources, and pass that info along. Many people make more money begging, than we do when we're at work, I'm sure you've seen the news reports.
    I have told them this.... the nearest shelter is 4 blocks away etc... ythey get so mad Now I give them a fishing pole, you know what they say.. feed them a fish they eat for a day, give them the pole they will fish on there own

Yeah I got nothing here

my mom gave to a guy yesterday, ran back and forth and gave them dog food and water for the dog, several dollars etc. She said that guy kept saying thank you gramma thank you Gramma OYE and I said , did you tell them were the shelter is? oh now she says.... there leaving town and needed cash gee, I wonder..... if I stand on a corner for a whole day, every day for a week, you think I can pay for that vacation ?? Yeah, mom its a scam!!!!

• Princess of my own world

I hardly ever give money. I've only given money twice and that's because they were polite to me and respected me when I said "No I don't need my windows washed" , what made the biggest impact was they stood far away from me respecting my personal space. (Unluck some other encouters I've had where people have followed me and gotten very close.) In those instances when other people have been around I have given them a couple of dollars, but other than that I agree wiht everyone else. Some of these people just like to make a living out of being homeless.
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    that sounds very nice!! I will remember that but again I am never alone and do not feel comfortable enough to do it. I am worried for my kids . But I see your point,

•   

A days worth of work to buy a Premium AP.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri View Post
    There's a guy in front of the Starbucks I go to and this dude is totally homeless. Out of about 10 people that are there on average, he's the only one I'll give money to. He's been wearing the same clothes for over a year and hasn't washed them once. The smell is terrible! He doesn't even ask for anything though. He's just out there. I try to help him out when I can.

That is nice of you, and your heart is in the right place, but by giving money, that reinforces that he should stay there and not change his situation. Sadly, many (most) truly homeless people are seriously mentally ill, or veterans, or both. It is really a sad situation.

There is a place in Denver, where you can buy these little tickets for one dollar. The tickets are good for a meal, shower, clean clothes and guidance from a non-profit shelter. It is really cool.

The problem with giving cash is that too often it is used to purchase alcohol or drugs, which only serves to perpetuate the problem.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast