Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Grilling Time Baby!

So it is that time of year again, finally.

BBQ season!!!

WOO HOO!!!!

In the last month weíve gone through six 8.5 pound bags of Kingsford briquettes (BBQ takes charcoal, thatís all there is to it) and had BBQ nearly every day. We are a BBQ family. Love it. I believe that BBQ is Godís way of making it up to us for the whole kicking-us-out-of-Eden thing.*

Anyhow, to the point of this thread: BBQ recipes, tips, techniques, favorites, etc. I love mine, and would love to hear yours! And try them of course.

So, to start off, here is my favorite BBQ treat.

Teriyaki Pineapple Burgers.

These came about as I enjoyed Red Robinís Banzai Burger, but felt that it was a mediocre execution of a perfect concept. So, we perfected the execution.

First, I take the hamburger patty (fresh or pre-made patties are both fine, but fresh is of course tastier) and marinate for a minimum of four hours in teriyaki sauce. When feeling industrious I make the sauce from scratch (recipe available on request) but when in a hurry (read = too lazy to make scratch sauce) I use Yoshidaís sauce. Simply throw the patties into a container, pour in sauce until submerged and put in fridge. Salivate in eager anticipation for four hours and remove. Once I have the coals going and spread out, I throw the patties on. Be careful here as marinating hamburger patties in teriyaki sauce makes them a little floppier and prone to falling apart. I use my spatula to slide them gently onto the grill to avoid this. Now, this is where I differ from most BBQ-ers. I believe that the ďone flip burgerĒ is the ignored burger. After putting the burger onto the grill I flip after just a couple of minutes, and when I do I brush on more teriyaki. Also, I never, ever put my burgers directly over the heat center. I place them in a ring around the rim and let the smoke really soak in. Now, as the burgers are going I take a fresh pineapple and core and slice it into rings roughly the same thickness as the burgers. These get slipped into the teriyaki sauce to marinate while I go check the burgers and flip and brush on sauce again. After about five minutes in the sauce the pineapple goes onto the grill with the burgers. I put them on right over the center hot spot first and let them sizzle for a couple seconds to give them those nice grill marks and also caramelize some of the sugars. After about thirty or forty seconds of sizzling they flip, grill the other side, then I move them away from the heat to cook indirectly for a few minutes. By this time the burgers should be nice and juicy and ready for eating. Before taking them off the grill I toast the bottom buns for a second or two, plate them, then place the burgers on them. Then comes the pineapple slices and lastly the top buns get a few seconds of toasting and then onto the plate. Dressing the burger is up to the individual, but I personally go for just a little fox tail lettuce (ice berg is so blah) and little dab of teriyaki mayo, a drizzle of teriyaki sauce (which was set aside before marinating so itís raw-meat-cooty free) and then the top bun. I donít like cheese as I donít think it goes with the teriyaki goodness. And thatís it! Teriyaki pineapple burgers from paradise! For sides we usually brush fresh corn on the cob (in the husk, with the husk pulled back to access the corn) with olive oil, sprinkle on seasonings then place them on the grill (still with husks on but now pulled back closed over the corn) with the burgers. Corn and teriyaki burgers donít seem like the most logical plate mates, but I guarantee that they work beautifully.

So, thereís my personal BBQ Secret Weapon. Anyone else? Iíd love some ideas to try!

* Just in case thereís any confusion, this was humor. Just to make that clear.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Re: Grilling Time Baby!

One of my fave things to make is grilled veggies, and then refrigerate the leftovers for a salad the next day.

My usual fresh fare consists of yellow squash, zucchini, red bell peppers, green chilies, onions, asparagus, and corn. For the squash and zucchini, I halve those lengthwise, and then soak them in a shallow pan of balsamic vinegar and some herbs for about 20 minutes prior to grilling. The other stuff I just grill straight-up and enjoy their natural flavors.

• New Old Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    One of my fave things to make is grilled veggies, and then refrigerate the leftovers for a salad the next day.

My usual fresh fare consists of yellow squash, zucchini, red bell peppers, green chilies, onions, asparagus, and corn. For the squash and zucchini, I halve those lengthwise, and then soak them in a shallow pan of balsamic vinegar and some herbs for about 20 minutes prior to grilling. The other stuff I just grill straight-up and enjoy their natural flavors.
    Hey, your a copy cat! I do the same thing.

I bbq at least 5 times a week, love it. Back in January I broke my ankle pretty bad (and still bad) and was unable to bbq (its down on the dock) so my wife went and bought be a little weber for the lanai. I hobble with the food to the bbq, put whatever on the grill, sit down, my wife brings me out a cold beer and when the food is done she comes out and helps me and the food in. Ah, what a life!

• Clearing my Calendar

We'll be staying at my parents' house next weekend to house/dog sit. We're already dreaming about having access to a grill (our apartment complex is super strict and the "community" grill just isn't appealing as it's at the entrance and we're in the back).

Bryan also will only BBQ with charcoal. He loves the wood briquettes that are easy to find at Publix or Kroger. Kroger is known for being very BBQ friendly as far as supplies go. They have applewood, cherrywood, oak, hickory and of course... Bryan's secret weapon... chopped up Jack Daniels barrels!

My parents also have a smoker that we utilize at least once when we do these housesitting trips. His ribs are the best and are an all day venture - which is awesome being able to sit out on the deck with a couple of cold ones like an atypical family who doesn't have a care in the world.

I'll take notes and definitely report into this thread with more details as far as technique/recipes go. I've never really paid attention because I'm always in the kitchen trying to keep everything somewhat clean so clean-up after dinner isn't so bad.

Edit: Btw, those teriyaki burgers sound delish!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I swear to god when I was scanning the threads I thought this said "grilling the baby"

Anyway, I like grilling I just can't do it for diddly. Oh well, that's what other people are for, to grill me some steak, or chicken, or burgers, right?

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I loooove grilled meats, but I will have nothing to do with grilled veggies. I'm a grilling snob.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Clearing my Calendar

The only "veggies" we grill is corn on the cob and potatoes.
    and the stars come out,

• Hiding in the shadows

Yes it definitely is grilling season. We make just about everything on the grill. My favorite is chicken skewers with potatoes, usually with terriaki sauce. So Yummy!

My MIL makes everything on the grill including french fries, they are actually really good and crispy!

A little piece of heaven

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I dont grill or any of that but jazzman Id like to come over and have some teriyaki pineapple burgers. Please and thank you.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Oh yeah baby.....Costco and Summer BBQing....like America and Apple Pie!
    We threw down some serious ribs, lamb, salmon and chicken over the Memorial Day weekend. I have to say, of all the grillings, the ribs are still the best. The hub par broils them in beer in the oven 350degrees for about 20mins-30mns (depending on the quality of ribs)...then it's off to the grill for SLooooooooooooooow finish (at least an hour, keep turnin' those babies!)...all the while coating them with his homemade enfuego sauce realizing a dark carmelly crisp goodness on the outside red tender fall apart meat on the inside.....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm so glad today's friday, I am off to COSTCO!!

•   

I love BBQ'ing too! I've gotten the whole family hooked on my steaks with a dry rub that I make.

Now I'm being begged to do this corn I did last summer.
    Mix butter, the powdered cheese from macaroni and cheese, and some chilli powder in a bowl, then smear it on the cob. Fold the husk back over it, wrap in foil and throw it on the grill for a while.
    Yummy!

For dessert on the grill, cut some peaches in half. Drizzle them with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and some butter. Wrap in foil and heat for like 10 minutes. They're sooooo good!

• Yeah...I'm cool

We have an indoor grill, so every day is grilling season!

• Rockin Guitar Player

Me and my dad love grilling (or BBQ'in) Steaks, Ribs, Shrimp, and sometimes Kebobs! Lets have fun in BBQ SEASON!
    A spartan on the outside, guitarist in the inside

OKLAHOMA
    ROCKS!!!!

• Clearing my Calendar

Today we're having salmon!

It gets "the treatment" with all sorts of fresh herbs and Magic Salmon Seasoning, then gets smoked and grilled over applewood.

It's yummy!
    and the stars come out,

• Island Paradise

That sounds great, Tracecub!

I guess living in So Cal, we can BBQ almost every weekend. Some of our favs are hamburgers, hotdogs, tri-tip, halibut, salmon, corn and veggies in the basket. I really like to grill up jumbo scallops, too. A little butter and chives...yum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast