•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Smile North California I-5 route hotels...??

Hello again MC-ers...ya'll were such a great help w/ my Santa Cruz hotel accommodations, I thought I should tap you once again, but this time for something in the South Oregon/North California area. We're planning to drive down I-5 - we usually make it to Redding, Ca and stay at the Red Lion there, but we've been such creatures of habit the last 4-5yrs I thought maybe we'd expound our horizons and try staying someplace different. We don't have a stingent timetable so we might end up in southern Oregon but most likely somewhere in California between Yreka and Redding. Should we take a jag over to the coast do you think??? do a little coast driving? We haven't driven that coast highway since the late 80s, will we have enough time if we leave Seattle on the 23rd to be in Santa Cruz by the 25th going down the coast?? Or should we stick to the usual blazeway I-5?? Or maybe, is it reasonable to do a little of both? I wish I was more familiar with the Cali coast!

• Senior Minion

Re: North California I-5 route hotels...??

If you want to try stopping and staying at some place a bit different, I suggest you consider the Railroad Park Resort in Dunsmuir, CA (http://www.rrpark.com/).

A number of the rooms are built into cabooses and the like, and it's a fun place to stay!

• Minion

If you are going down the coast you might also consider visiting Hearst Castle, it is well worth a visit

You can't stay there but it is a fun side trip

Its about 1/2 way between SF and LA.

http://www.hearstcastle.com/
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    , will we have enough time if we leave Seattle on the 23rd to be in Santa Cruz by the 25th going down the coast?? Or should we stick to the usual blazeway I-5?? Or maybe, is it reasonable to do a little of both? I wish I was more familiar with the Cali coast!
    I highly doubt that you could drive down the coast and make it to Santa Cruz in that short time. We used to drive from the Bay Area to Seattle on Highway 5 and it was a 14 hour drive. And just driving from the Bay Area to Mendocino which is along the nrothern CA coast takes about 5 hours.

I would suggest googling the route you want to take and seeing how long they say it takes.

By the way, the drives along the coast can be quite pretty but they can also be quite foggy sometimes too which means you have to go even slower to be safe.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

if you cut to the coast from I-5 via Hwy 199 in Grants Pass you can get from Grants Pass to Santa Cruz in about 8-9 hours, and you get to drive down some of the most beautiful parts of the Califnornia Coast via the Redwood forests...its amazing there. My husband went to college in Arcata at Humboldt State University and the scenery around there is to die for.

EDIT: i looked up a mapquest for Grants Pass, OR to Eureka, CA, then Eureka, CA to Santa Cruz, plug in those variables to see a copy of the directions

Have a great trip!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.