• DL Nerd

Anybody here ever had LASIK?

I'm super stoked about my surgery on Thursday .. but I'll be honest....

I just you-tubed it....and saw video's of the procedure... now I'm nervous as crap....

SO?

anyone have it?

• Man O Lantern

Re: Anybody here ever had LASIK?

My mom, our old babysitter, and most of my mom's friends have had it done. My mom had to have her left eye done twice, second time at no cost. Hers has been the only problem I've heard of. Basically, the first time, it just didn't take, but her right eye was great. Dr. re-did it two weeks later and she's fine. That was five years ago.

• Hiding in the shadows

I have not had Lasik, but I have had eye surgery which was actually much more evasive than Lasik (FDA study ICL http://www.staar.com/html/visian-icl.html), and that still wasnt all that bad. Don't be nervous, try to relax, when you are able to see without correction its the greatest thing ever.

I have several friends that had Lasik, one had to get it redone, but that was over 9 years ago, its been perfected a lot since then, and everyone I know that has done it loved it.

A little piece of heaven

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

A teacher I worked for had it done a couple of years ago. No problems with the surgery and has had perfect vision ever since. Wishes she had done it earlier. Someone else I know is very, very happy with the results. Neither of them said that anything about the surgery frightened them.

I can't do it because I have something wrong with my corneas called Recurrent Corneal Abrasion. For the rest of my life I have to put drops in my eyes every two hours and a special ointment in my eye at bedtime which is a real mess but better than having my cornea tear and cause intense pain.

• is on the rocks

I had LASIK done 6 1/2 years ago and I still think it is THE best thing I ever did for myself. Junthor, if your procedure is anything like mine was, they'll give you a sedative and you'll be fine.

I guess I was lucky - I had hardly any complications. But then, I didn't really expect any since I was tested thoroughly to make sure I was a good candidate. I did have a bit of dry eye for about six months - I had to put drops in regularly and use an ointment at night (similar to what Wendybird mentioned) to keep my eyes lubricated, but that eventually subsided.
    She did it!

• Comin' at ya!

My mom had it...Her eye sight went back to normal a few years later, so she has to wear glasses again.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

my boyfriend did it! and i video taped it he did both eyes at oncevery sore afterwards, but he no longer wears glasses! his night vision isnt as good anymore

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I have a couple friends who have had it done and it worked really well for them. I'm absolutely terrified of the concept so I'll stick to my contact lenses.

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by ksejr1 View Post
    my boyfriend did it! and i video taped it he did both eyes at oncevery sore afterwards, but he no longer wears glasses! his night vision isnt as good anymore
    Whoooa! I'm not sure I would like to see what they were doing to my eyes! I had both mine done at the same time as well. I had to sleep with these clear plastic eye shields on for about two weeks afterward so I wouldn't rub my eyes.
    She did it!

• time to go

I had LASIK done nine years ago. I had worn glasses/contacts for 35 years, and was quite blind without them. The most amazing thing was lying down for the procedure with everything being one big blur, then sitting up a few minutes later and being able to see a slightly blurry clock on the wall. By morning, everything was crystal clear.

Mindblowing.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

I did it in January and it is amazing!! It's not the most pleasant feeling in the world but the results are definitely worth it! My vision is now 20/15!! Better than 20/20!! I love it!! I actually posted about it a few days after my surgery. You can read about my experience here....

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...51#post1312551

• World Traveler

I got lasik done on both eyes a few years ago. It was an excellent decision. It's a few minutes of being uncomfortable (not really pain) and SO worth it.

Just think of all the sunglass options you're going to have now!

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by ksejr1 View Post
    his night vision isnt as good anymore

Exactly why I won't get it done. I do too much that requires good night vision.

Once they get over that problem, I'll think about getting it done.
    -Tim

Wow. I hate to be a wet blanket on the question of Lasik, but they really can go wrong. Kathy Griffin is partially blind in one eye, because of a bad LASIK surgury. She is very much against them. You might want to check it out.

Basically, my rule of thumb right now is that if any surgury is volunteer, stay away from it. Don't subject yourself to the risk. Glasses work just fine for me.