Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

For college students, I have a question about renting apartments

Since it's been 20 years since my husband and I were in college so we're not sure if things have changed.

Okay, in our college days, if we were renting a house or apartment with three or more people , we divided up the rent according to the size of the rooms since often some rooms were very large, some were medium and some were very small. Also , some had bigger walk in closets and others had normal or tiny closets. And some had adjoining bathrooms. So whoever got the significantly bigger and better rooms paid more and whoever got the smallest and not as nice rooms paid less.

Or if two people really wanted the same room, one person would take it for half the year and then they'd trade and the other person would take it for the other half of the year.

Is this still how things are done?

I'm asking because my twin daughters are planning to share a three bedroom , three bathroom apartment with 4 other girls next year. One of the girls named Nancy paid the deposit and then everyone paid her back their share of it a couple days later. Then Nancy told the girls that her dad's a realtor and he said that since she took the risk of paying the deposit for everyone at first , she and the other girl who's sharing a room with her get to have the master bedroom which is a LOT bigger than the other two bedrooms and has a walk in closet. She also told my girls that since they paid their share of the deposit after the other two girls who are sharing a bedroom , that those two girls get the medium size bedroom and they have to take the smallest one. I say this is baloney.

I told my girls to tell the girl that they are taking just as much of a risk with their deposit money as she did since when that deposit is returned at the end of the lease period , they will have to trust that she will give each of them back their share of it. I also told them to tell the girl that either she and her roommate need to pay $25 each more per month and let them pay $25 each less per month or they need to trade bedrooms halfway through the year.

I would think that if this girl's dad is a realtor then surely he must know that the better a room is , the more a person has to pay for it. The security deposit shouldn't have anything to do with it since they all paid an equal portion of it.

What do you guys/gals think?
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 06-08-2007 at 09:13 PM.

• no flash photography...

Re: For college students, I have a question about renting apartments

I sounds as if the girl is pulling a fast one. To me it appears she already knew who was getting what room and she's trying to justify it now. However, i have never shared a house or apartment with someone where I had to pay rent. so, regarding room size...I don't know. It makes sense though.

My friend is renting out two rooms which share a bathroom for $625.00 per month. She figures they get full house privileges so they should pay for it.

• is on the rocks

Hmmm... Nancy is claiming that your girls paid their deposit money after everyone else - was there a date everyone was supposed to pay by, and were they late? If so, then I suppose that argument is somewhat valid. Were they even notified, though? It sounds like this was sprung on them.

And yes, I would say that the rent amounts should be adjusted according to the room size. If they're getting the smallest room, there is no way they should be paying equal rent amounts. I suppose since the deposits have been paid, then they have to stick it out, but the way it's starting out doesn't forbode well to me. Call me a cynic, but I just don't get a good feeling. Agreements like this should be talked about and arrangements made with everyone present. It sounds like Nancy and the three others decided how they wanted to work things out and then told your girls about it, rather than including them in the decision process. They're getting the short end of the deal, for sure.

Is there any way they can back out of this?
    She did it!

• Circle of Ancients

[quote=SCUBAbe;1834901]I sounds as if the girl is pulling a fast one. To me it appears she already knew who was getting what room and she's trying to justify it now.

That's exactly what I think based on how my girls told me the whole thing went down.

[quote=Spidergrrrl;1834903]Hmmm... Nancy is claiming that your girls paid their deposit money after everyone else - was there a date everyone was supposed to pay by, and were they late? If so, then I suppose that argument is somewhat valid. Were they even notified, though? It sounds like this was sprung on them.

According to my girls , Nancy was very eager to be the one to pay the deposit before it was even due and everyone paid her on time. Then she sprung this on them. My gilrs and I all feel that they were manipulated.
    And yes, I would say that the rent amounts should be adjusted according to the room size. If they're getting the smallest room, there is no way they should be paying equal rent amounts. I suppose since the deposits have been paid, then they have to stick it out, but the way it's starting out doesn't forbode well to me. Call me a cynic, but I just don't get a good feeling.

I don't get a good felling either. I looked online at the floor plan and the bedrooms actually don't look that different in size. It'sw mostly the closet space that's significantly bigger or smaller. But I do like the location of my girls' bedroom since they're on the second floor and the other two are on the third floor.

Agreements like this should be talked about and arrangements made with everyone present. It sounds like Nancy and the three others decided how they wanted to work things out and then told your girls about it, rather than including them in the decision process.

That's exactly what I think so I told my girls they better say something right now about it because I don't want to see it being four aginst two all next year or have to deal with phone calls from them saying that they're unhappy. They tend to be too nice and then people take advantage of them.

Is there any way they can back out of this?

I'm not sure. My husband and I re4ally wanted to let them try to do this on their own, but now I wish we'd been a little more involved in the process. They may just have to learn a few things the hard way.

• is on the rocks

PB, I totally understand about wanting to let your girls take these steps on their own. I remember wanting to be free from my parents, wanting to learn things on my own and wishing they'd let me learn "the hard way" even though I knew they meant well. I know it's hard. I used to be like your girls - try to be nice, then end up being walked all over, and resenting it. I still have a hard time confronting people to this day, although I'm getting better, because I'm learning that it's better to take care of things up front rather than letting things fester while hoping they get better on their own. In retrospect, I'm very grateful that my parents didn't let me learn too many things "the hard way."

In any case, here's what I would do in your position. Ask the girls how they feel about having you involved (and by involved, I don't mean you and Ken taking matters into your own hands, but just by giving advice and input). If they're amenable, I'd have the girls tell Nancy that they feel like they were blindsided since they were presented with something after the fact, and now they're not comfortable with the situation. If the other girls (Nancy in particular) can see their point of view, maybe they can all sit down together and work up an agreement that can be put into writing. If the others say that your girls are overreacting, or worrying about nothing, I see that as a red flag - time to see if there's any way they can find something else. They may lose their deposit, but I think that's a small price to pay for a lesson learned.

Have they signed any contracts or anything yet?
    She did it!

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Yikes... I smell some female BS.

Nancy sounds like a bit of a bossy-ette and that kind of stuff doesn't fly with me. If there are three rooms, they should be split up (price wise) according to size (sq ft of rooms) and amenities.. (walkin closets.. adjoining bathrooms, all things good and bad should be pointed out so that each bed room is defined. They should all agree on the prices of the three rooms and then should state which room they each want. None of that "I call it!" crap. Ugh.. I can't handle girls... I've always been a girl with guy friends cause girls drive me crazy.

Hopefully things work out and tell your babes to stand up for them selves and what they want!!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• GO DBACKS!!

Everyone has made great points. I just want to add that if the girls haven't signed or been officially put on a rental agreement what's to stop them from looking for another place. They can stay where they are for a month or two to get use out of their deposit and then move to another place with "normal" people. If they aren't listed on a rental agreement or sublease then what recourse does Nancy have if they move out? None.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Circle of Ancients

I talked to Brittany about it some more and I asked her what the lease says since she has already signed it. She told me that Nancy was bossy even when she was signing the lease and saying "Don't bother reading it, just sign it." Brittany told her "No, I'm going to read it before I sign it."

I have such a bad feeling about this and I told her so , but she assured me that she and Courtney are going to sit down with Nancy and her roommate tomorrow and let them know how they feel about how things have gone so far and try to make some agreements about how things will go from now on when it comes to making group decisions .

Thanks for your help gals!

• Banned User

we have always done the fair thing, picked straws, no one should dictate what room any one is going in just for the things you stated.Big or small, it should be by fair and balanced means . She Sounds like a real winner, to bad they signed before rethinking the situation. Best of luck to them.

• Minion

Wow, back in college we drew straws for the rooms as long as no one had a strong preference on the master or the smaller room. Then the people with the bigger room payed more. So yes you are correct PB. I hope they got a copy of that lease paperwork.

Good luck PB and girls. Hopefully they work out the room and rent $$ issue soon. It would be miserable to live with someone that they felt manipulated by. But then again everyone has their share of college roommate nightmare stories.

Blog Entries

As someone that has now been a renter for almost 11 years (not anymore though, close excrow on the 27th of June) we have always divided up according to room size and ameninities. I am currently renting a 3 bedroom home with another girl and since I have the master bedroom with a walk'n closet and in-room bathroom, I pay 100 dollars more a month. It is ony fair to do it that way!

• Practically Perfect

Well, I'm in college and I'm moving into my 3rd place this year. I've lived in two houses with friends and now I'm off to an apartment.

The first year there were 6 of us, 3 boys and 3 girls. Some rooms were smaller than others, but really they all sucked. Basically, we all paid the same amount, and we divided the rooms based on what mades sense (ie- girls in rooms close to the girls bathroom and guy in rooms close to the guys bathroom). We had a little bit of problems at the beginning in picking rooms, but we worked it all out more or less.

The next year there were only four of us and we all paid the same amount again. All the rooms were about the same size and we all got along well enough to just pick our own and agree on who went where.

This next year I'll be in an apartment with 2 other friends. One girl is paying more because she has a bathroom all her own. But she offered to pay more for it, so there wasn't any problem.

As for your situation, I'd say Nancy's dad being a relator doesn't mean much. In this case he's more interested in spoiling his baby girl. She may have paid the deposit, but they all paid her back so Nancy has no room to haggle. If she wants to take the bigger room, whatever, but in this case I would say Nancy SHOULD pay more.

• Directly directed

Who do these realtor kids think they are? I've had that same situation come up twice, where someone was a realtor's kid and since they secured the house, they got the best room and they didn't have to pay as much. I've never heard of anyone switching rooms but the smaller the room, the less you pay. It's just fair. From my own personal experience I would try to back out of it if possible. Because it's probably just going to get worse. Good luck though

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Even now we split it - my roommate gets the bigger room and pays more rent (but I get the garage!).

It was the same in college - the one w/the master and private bath paid more than the rest of us. I actually think the girl in the tiny room paid more than the other 2 of us w/the same sized rooms.

Good luck to your girls - I hope they are able to get through to the girl.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Only time I ever had a roommate, we shared a 2 bed/2 bath apartment and we split everything down the middle. My bedroom was a little bigger than hers (but her closet was bigger than mine... both were walk-ins), but my furniture was already in it as I had been living in the apartment for a couple years with my boyfriend (we broke up and I kicked him out). Since I have a giant pier unit headboard on my bed (3 separate sections), it made sense to just keep my stuff where it was. Also, all the livingroom furniture was mine (all she had was her bed, a dresser and a couple folding chairs and a folding table).

But anyhow, like I said, we split everything evenly with the rent & utilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast