Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

When I turned 18....

I just thougth I'd toss out this question that crossed my mind...

I turned 18 in 1989. I was still in high school and my question is, once I turned 18, could I have written my own absense notes, tardy notes and excused myself from class? I ask because heck, on paper I was an adult - because I was 18. So, if I could have gotten arrested and charged as an adult, why couldn't I have done these things at school?

I'm not quite sure why this question even crossed my mind, since I'm pushing 36 - but it crossed and so I asked.

What do you think?

• Minion

Re: When I turned 18....

Yes, once you turn 18 its your resposibility to write tardy notes ect.
    At least thats what it says in the handbook for my high school, but if you still live with your parents at 18 they need to confirm it with them.

• Man O Lantern

Then it becomes a familial issue. If you want to skip and excuse yourself, that's great, but will you get grounded as a result? Will your parents take away your car or privileges? There would be some sort of consequence for your behavior, either at home, or with the principal--if you miss so much you might not graduate. So yeah, you can do it, but at what cost?

A guy at my high school turned 18 midway through his senior year and he was picked for jury duty. He didn't want out of it, and he was chosen for a trial--and sequestered in a hotel 3 hours from home. He had the best time. But he almost didn't graduate as a result.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Then it becomes a familial issue. If you want to skip and excuse yourself, that's great, but will you get grounded as a result? Will your parents take away your car or privileges? There would be some sort of consequence for your behavior, either at home, or with the principal--if you miss so much you might not graduate. So yeah, you can do it, but at what cost?

A guy at my high school turned 18 midway through his senior year and he was picked for jury duty. He didn't want out of it, and he was chosen for a trial--and sequestered in a hotel 3 hours from home. He had the best time. But he almost didn't graduate as a result.
    That's wild.

I knew a guy that had something like this happen to him as well.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

How in the world did that happen? Jurors always serve in the county where they live. What county did this happen in?
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
    Did you also call out Anthony Hopkins for not being a cannibal in real life?
    This device kills fascists.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I just thougth I'd toss out this question that crossed my mind...

I turned 18 in 1989. I was still in high school and my question is, once I turned 18, could I have written my own absense notes, tardy notes and excused myself from class? I ask because heck, on paper I was an adult - because I was 18. So, if I could have gotten arrested and charged as an adult, why couldn't I have done these things at school?

I'm not quite sure why this question even crossed my mind, since I'm pushing 36 - but it crossed and so I asked.

What do you think?
    I also turned 18 and graduated in 1989. I did not write my own notes. i just went up to the attendance window and told them why I was late/tardy or absent. I was allowed to. I suppose they would have accepted a note as well, but I was to lazy for that when verbal worked just fine.

My mother just said I better graduate. there was no worries of that though, By the time I was a senior I was barely on campus. Most of my credit work was done. I think i had 2 or maybe 3 classes on campus. I think it was 2 classes and an ROP class that met once a month. I had an hour of ROP (work experience) work off campus.

• Yeah...I'm cool

I believe in LA county, no matter you're age you had to get Parental consent. I graduated in 89 as well at 17, my bday was in November, and had friends who tried this, and were always given truant notices that had to be signed by their parents, regardless of age.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i was only 16 when i graduated in 1988, so i had to continue to fake my abscence notes like everyone else did...lol!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Well, I was 17 when I graduated in 1992 (I turned 18 that summer). Most of my class was born during normal school year months so I was pretty much the technically "youngest" member of my class.

But... the last couple months of my senior year, I had more than enough credits to graduate so I skipped class... a lot. I actually intercepted my final report card that came after graduation so my parents couldn't see how many absences I had.

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    I believe in LA county, no matter you're age you had to get Parental consent. I graduated in 89 as well at 17, my bday was in November, and had friends who tried this, and were always given truant notices that had to be signed by their parents, regardless of age.
    I was in LA county. My mother may have given consent. I'm not sure if she did, but I never got truancies. Prior to that I would write a nte and sign my fathers name, since he never wrote notes to school they didn't know his signature....or my BF would call in as my father. It sounds like a missed a lot of school, but I really didn't...

•   
    • I <3 o

I turned 18 in 2004, we could write our own notes, but first they had to talk to our parents a get a note from them saying it was ok for us to write our own notes. It was a pain in the ace, but my school was also pretty strict on that kinda thing
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• Grumpy old man

I think the policy at my school was that you could write your own notes and such if you were 18, but if you were caught abusing it, they could take it away. My school's absence clearing system was such a pain in the neck, it was actually a motivator for me not to miss any days of school, until my senior year when the system was revamped and made it a lot easier. So I was a bit more willing to miss school. But I was 'good kid' and never skipped school.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I turned 18 in 1967, but I had already graduated high school and started college.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I think my school has a policy where at the beginning of the year they record who can write your tardy notes/sick notes and if you wanted that information changed at some point your parents/guardians had to sign something with you.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast