• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

A Musical Remembrance of You...

If you were to be remembered by music, what music would it be? This might seem like a strange topic, but it's crossed my mind and so I thought I'd dare to ask this question....

I remember at my Grandpa Rex's funeral in 2000 someone got up and played guitar and sang "Turn, Turn (To everything there is a season)" and while it's a good song, it really didn't sum up my Grandpa. To sum up my Grandpa I think closing his funeral with "Moonlight Serenade" by Glenn Miller and His Orchestra would have been beautiful - because that was 'his' era or hey-day.

So, what songs make 'you' - so to speak? How would you want to be remembered musically?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: A Musical Remembrance of You...

Just off the top of my head...two or three choices...

"God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys..."Unforgettable" (while I love Nat King Cole's original solo, the "duet" with Natalie came out during my time here) and a third might be...We've Only Just Begun, by the Carpenters.

There's a start anyway. And even though it was before my time, I love Glenn Miller...how about "In the Mood"!

--Barry

PS...I also do love "Turn, Turn, Turn" by the Byrds...the only rock era song that I know of to come straight out of the Bible (more or less anyway)...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Senior Minion

If I had to chose just one piece, it would be the second movement of Mozart's piano concerto in D minor, # 20

If time allowed, I'd like to have two other pieces: the Kyrie from the Beethoven Missa Solemnis, and the Introitus of the Mozart Requiem Mass, sung by Marie McLaughlin.

• curiouser and curiouser

Hmmm... Pehaps "Lazy day" by Santo & Johnny. Or "Sinnerman" by Nina Simone...
    It's gotta be something from the 50's or 60's though.

• Banned User

I'm sure everyone here knows what I will say, but, aside from the Beatles (to include the solo careers of John Lennon & Paul McCartney), my family and friends would remember me by Disney music and Elton John and maybe some Cat Stevens. They'd probably toss in some vintage Madonna for good measure!

So, my list would be: Let It Be, Long & Winding Road, In My Life (Beatles) Imagine (Lennon), Maybe I'm Amazed (McCartney), I Need You To Turn To (Elton) Hard Headed Woman (Cat Stevens). Sigh. I just love ALL of those songs. The Elton one being me and hubby's song to each other for 20 years.
    Last edited by I Heart Disneyland; 06-12-2007 at 08:11 PM.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

The most amazing and touching song I heard at a funeral was Fire & Rain by James Taylor. I never really knew the words until then. Very touching and very fitting for this person who died way too young.

Chad

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    The most amazing and touching song I heard at a funeral was Fire & Rain by James Taylor. I never really knew the words until then. Very touching and very fitting for this person who died way too young.

Chad
    That song makes me want to cry EVERY time!!!!!!!! James Taylor's voice is amazing.

• Man O Lantern

Forever Young by Alphaville.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Hey You by Pink Floyd
    Dream On by Aerosmith
    Until The End Of The World by U2
    Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush

These are all songs I want played at my memorial service after i die, i actually have had it documented and copies given to my family so they know.
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Looking at all of your wonderful choices, I realize I never chose mine.

I think I would choose "Moonlight Serenade" for one - my late Grandparents, Rex & Virginia Nickler, got me hooked on big band music when I was a very very small boy - it's in my blood, you might say. To me, "Moonlight Serenade" is relaxing.......romantic.....and captivating.

Also, I am a devout Amy Grant fan - have been for near 30 years......and I think I might like to have a song of her's played - maybe the song "Heirlooms" from her 1983 Christmas release because the words say "up in the attic........down on my knees......lifetimes of boxes......timeless to me.......letters and photographs.....yellow with years........some bringing laughter.......some bringing tears.......time never changes the memories....the faces of loved ones......." - and then goes to say "my precious family....is more than an Heirloom to me"..........and then maybe close it with a very soft version of "Amazing Grace"..........because HE saved a wretch like me....

• Minion

Even though I am not a huge country music fan(although I will listen to it every now and then), I must say it would be The Dance by Garth Brooks.
    "I could have missed the pain,
    But I'd of had to miss the dance".

We had a family member pass last year, the uncle of my MIL(don't know what that makes him).
    At his funeral, they played silent night,at his request, as it was his favorite song. I think that was the strangest choice I have ever heard of.

• Hiding in the shadows

Doesn't Remind Me - Audioslave

When I was pregnant with my son, I had a very bad EBV relaps and was quite sick 103.5 fever for over 4 weeks, hubby decided we needed to get away from the stress of daily life, left our daughter with the grandparents and went to Maui for 6 days. The new Audioslave CD was coming out that Tuesday but we wanted to go to do the road to Hana that day and so hubby was able to talk the record shop guy into selling us the CD a day early. We spent that Tuesday listening to that song over and over again all the way through that route, stopping at several waterfalls and taking the dirt road back around the island (a bit difficult for a 6 month PG lady). But still it was the most peaceful time I think ever in my life, and thats the one song that when I hear it I stop and just listen and remember that time where for a few hours everything was just perfect.

So I guess thats the song I want played. Not because it means much to anyone else, but because it means so much to me :-)

A little piece of heaven

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

My song for my kids and the message I'd like to leave for anyone when I die is I Hope you Dance by Lee Ann Womack.

I'm not really into country but its a very motivational song and it fits what I want my girls to believe in.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Bye Bye Bye ~ Nsync.
    And yes, everyone will be required to do that dance.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...