Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Saying "Goodbye"

I am so sorry to hear about your friend.

• ..but you can call me Pam

I, also am sad for the loss of this young person, but I'm glad that you posted it here. Maybe it can prevent somebody else from doing the same thing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about your friend .

• World Traveler

That is so sad. I'm sorry.

• Huh?

I nearly had to go through this a few months ago.

I was at a friend's house and another friend (who's currently under aged) showed up at the door, rather drunk. It didn't seem to be that bad at first, but each time he had to pee, he just seemed to get drunker and drunker, even though he had not had a think to drink since he got there (we wouldn't let him).

Eventually, he was shivering, vomiting, his breathing stopped a couple times very briefly. It was rather scary.

He had apparently been to the ER for natural causes about 3 times within that last week, so because of no insurance, he just refused to go to the ER. He was definitely on the verge of passing out completely.

I know I don't have the medical training, but I knew enough to keep by him, trying to keep his body temperature as normal as possible, keep him hydrated, let him purge all that stuff out as soon as possible. And have a phone near to call for ambulance if he didn't improve.

Fortunately, I didn't need to take him to the ambulance and he's still alive and well. But, I just wish that he'd stop drinking -- he just won't listen to anybody.
    -Tim

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    I nearly had to go through this a few months ago.

I was at a friend's house and another friend (who's currently under aged) showed up at the door, rather drunk. It didn't seem to be that bad at first, but each time he had to pee, he just seemed to get drunker and drunker, even though he had not had a think to drink since he got there (we wouldn't let him).

Eventually, he was shivering, vomiting, his breathing stopped a couple times very briefly. It was rather scary.

He had apparently been to the ER for natural causes about 3 times within that last week, so because of no insurance, he just refused to go to the ER. He was definitely on the verge of passing out completely.

I know I don't have the medical training, but I knew enough to keep by him, trying to keep his body temperature as normal as possible, keep him hydrated, let him purge all that stuff out as soon as possible. And have a phone near to call for ambulance if he didn't improve.

Fortunately, I didn't need to take him to the ambulance and he's still alive and well. But, I just wish that he'd stop drinking -- he just won't listen to anybody.

Sounds like the alcohol was still hitting his blood stream, which is why you saw his motor/cognitive skills deteriorate after he got to your house.

It is very important to note that when someone is impaired, whether by illegal substance, head injury, etc. they no longer have the right to refuse medical treatment. They are not in a position to know what is best for them, so they legally have lost the right to refuse care. If medics were called to the house, they could restrain him against his will and take him to the hospital.

I know it is hard, but sometimes doing the right thing means pissing someone off, but remember, if they're mad about it later, it's only because they are still alive, and able to be mad...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12