Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Ask A Bill Collector

Most of you know I have been working as a bill collector for nearly 11 years now. I have worked for fitness clubs, credit card companies, medical collections, and for the last 6 years, auto finance collections.

The average Joe has no idea of their rights under the FDCPA (Fair debt Collection Practices Act). There are many laws that protect those in debt against harassment. There are also a lot of little tricks that those of us in the business know.

I am offering advice to any and all who need it on this subject.

If you don't feel comfortable discussing your credit issues in the public forum, please PM me your question and I will do my best to answer you as best I can.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Yeah...I'm cool

Re: Ask A Bill Collector

Its not me, But my brother lived with my parents. He recently was sent to prison, and none of his 3 cards were being paid. My mom is on one, so she is paying the charges even though none of them are hers. But the other 2 keep calling, even when they tell them the circumstances. One has even told her she's responsible because he lived with them. Its been about 8 months now, and they still call and harass her, what can she do short of changing her number. (she has already sent letters to the companies.

• Minion

Its not me, But my brother

Famous last words, spunk!

• Yeah...I'm cool

Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    Its not me, But my brother

Famous last words, spunk!
    Hold on.... the guard says I need to get off the computer now.

• Minion

I told ya so! Say hi to Paris for me! Try to trip her in the hallway!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    Its not me, But my brother lived with my parents. He recently was sent to prison, and none of his 3 cards were being paid. My mom is on one, so she is paying the charges even though none of them are hers. But the other 2 keep calling, even when they tell them the circumstances. One has even told her she's responsible because he lived with them. Its been about 8 months now, and they still call and harass her, what can she do short of changing her number. (she has already sent letters to the companies.
    She's kind of out of luck on the one she has signed for, but she needs to talk to a manager or supervisor next time they call her about your brother's card. She needs to tell them specifically not to call her again. She may need to send a cease and desist letter, but once these steps are followed by law they cannot call her again. She could sue not only the company but the collector for violating the law against harrassment.

• World Traveler

I used to keep getting called for someone who has my same last name in my building. I have nothing to do with that person. We tell the person calling that we have no idea who the other person is, but after a while, they call again. It seems they "sell" the debt to another company or something. It's quite annoying.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I used to keep getting called for someone who has my same last name in my building. I have nothing to do with that person. We tell the person calling that we have no idea who the other person is, but after a while, they call again. It seems they "sell" the debt to another company or something. It's quite annoying.
    If it happens again, speak to a manager or supervisor. Threaten legal action, or a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. If they continue to call, call the BBB.

• That Guy

I have a debt collector question.

Can you hear the echo sound when I am in the bathroom talking to you? I try to put the phone on mute if I am grunting too hard, or the splashing sounds get to be a bit much.

Thanks!

• That Guy

And how is the system set up? I am guessing it is commission based for the collector?

Share some funny/dumb calls you have had. I'm sure you have heard it all.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post

Can you hear the echo sound when I am in the bathroom talking to you? I try to put the phone on mute if I am grunting too hard, or the splashing sounds get to be a bit much.

Thanks!
    Splashing sounds

Could you elaborate?

No don't, I was kidding
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Thanks!
    Yes.

And how is the system set up? I am guessing it is commission based for the collector?

Share some funny/dumb calls you have had. I'm sure you have heard it all.
    We compete with about 40 other collectors in our call center. Everyone has their own queue (list of files, usually split up alphabetically). We are evaluated on several things : The number of accounts in our file that pay current, the number of vehicles we repo, and the number of our accounts that get charged off. We are also evaluated daily on how many outbound calls we make, how many incoming calls we take, and how many payments or promise to pays we get. My company does not work on commission because the base pay is outrageously high and the benefits are top notch, but most other companies give a cash bonus to the person who collects the highest dollar amount.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

No really funny calls to discuss, but you'd be amazed at the number of times I have been cursed out by little old ladies. The over 70 set can be vicious.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    No really funny calls to discuss, but you'd be amazed at the number of times I have been cursed out by little old ladies. The over 70 set can be vicious.

Why did this make me think of that old woman who raps?

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    Yes.

We compete with about 40 other collectors in our call center. Everyone has their own queue (list of files, usually split up alphabetically). We are evaluated on several things : The number of accounts in our file that pay current, the number of vehicles we repo, and the number of our accounts that get charged off. We are also evaluated daily on how many outbound calls we make, how many incoming calls we take, and how many payments or promise to pays we get. My company does not work on commission because the base pay is outrageously high and the benefits are top notch, but most other companies give a cash bonus to the person who collects the highest dollar amount.

That's good, it would be too hard to rely on commission. It's not your fault if you get a bad batch of people.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast