Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • will

3 60.00%
  • won't

2 40.00%

• Minion

Will the grocery stores strike?

This is not a DEBATE! It is a simple question. No one is being mean or nasty...
    So, here is my question one more time. Please don't be mean or nasty, just wondering a simple question!

Do you think the strike will happen this time? 3 months ago, it was supposed to happen and now, the stores (Von's/ Safeway, Ralph's/ Kroger, and Albertson's) are due to vote tomorrow (Sun).
    Any thoughts?
    Note: I believe this is only in Southern California. Anyone know?
    Another Note: Please do not mention unions. Just wondering do you think they will or won't. Ta!
    Last edited by Tracy98; 06-23-2007 at 07:23 PM.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Re: Will the grocery stores strike?

Yep another few months of inconvience. No big deal, they still won't get what they want.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

There was not going to be a strike 3 months ago, Albertsons employees just authorized to strike if talks broke down. Now the other two chains, Ralphs and Vons are deciding if they will authorize a strike.

Unfortunately I think a strike is inevitable. The corporations are not going to bend on their demands and they won the last time. This will be longer than the last one I fear.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
    There was not going to be a strike 3 months ago, Albertsons employees just authorized to strike if talks broke down. Now the other two chains, Ralphs and Vons are deciding if they will authorize a strike.

Unfortunately I think a strike is inevitable. The corporations are not going to bend on their demands and they won the last time. This will be longer than the last one I fear.
    Thanks for the explanation!

• Life is Great!

I honestly dont know, but I have been doing more shopping at the local independant grocer in preparation. I try to not cross lines and also, if they choose to strike im not going to bother with them. luckily there is a small grocer a few blocks from my house. Ill go to them for food and target/walmart for household items.
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

The store I shop at as already settled their contract... therefore I don't really care what the other stores do as it does not personally affect me.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

Supposedly if they decide to strike, it will not happen until Fri. Anyone know if this is true? (I heard this from someone else who wasn't sure, so just wanting the truth)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Edited and moved to debate lounge.

My bad.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 06-23-2007 at 10:49 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    This is not a DEBATE! It is a simple question. No one is being mean or nasty...
    So, here is my question one more time. Please don't be mean or nasty, just wondering a simple question!

Do you think the strike will happen this time? 3 months ago, it was supposed to happen and now, the stores (Von's/ Safeway, Ralph's/ Kroger, and Albertson's) are due to vote tomorrow (Sun).
    Any thoughts?
    Note: I believe this is only in Southern California. Anyone know?
    Another Note: Please do not mention unions. Just wondering do you think they will or won't. Ta!
    Tracy - My bad. I didn't see the request that I not mention the (U word). But to me, this is the can of worms that you have to deal with when you ask if these poor grocery workers are going to strike again. I'm not sure what kind of discussion you are looking for here if you pull the (U word) out of it. The strike would be CALLED for by the (U word). If your question is simply will there be one or not, it all depends on the guys and gals who control the (U word). After the debacle a couple years ago, I would say no. But if there IS another strike, the Albertons down the street from me is toast. Ralphs is already gone in our neighborhood. I watched the customers disappear from that store, and I watched it shut down just months after the strike was over.

I will reserve all further mention of the (U word) for the debate lounge.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 06-23-2007 at 11:09 PM.

• Minion

There is a thread in the debate lounge about this same thing. I was just wanting oppinions on if you think they will strike or not.
    Last edited by Tracy98; 06-23-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    Supposedly if they decide to strike, it will not happen until Fri. Anyone know if this is true? (I heard this from someone else who wasn't sure, so just wanting the truth)
    Assuming they will authorize a strike at all three chains, it will depend on when negotiations officially stop. Right now talks are on a day by day basis. If they call an official impasse to the negotiations, then they can call for the strike 72 hours later. There is no set timeline, but as the talks have basically stalled, the union is seeking the strike vote, I see it happening within the next 30 days. Both sides are so far apart on the contract demands and I do not see any way for this to be settled without a strike.

My friend's wife works for Ralph's. He says the way it's set up, essentially you vote to strike or the store locks out the employees. Not much of a choice. So if they can't agree (and I doubt they will agree) there will be a strike.

My city has a Trader Joe's but I can't get everything I need there. There is no other independent grocer. It's stupid to piecemeal my shopping- get a few things here, drive, get a few things here, etc. I *hate* it when the grocery stores are on strike.

And yes I believe it's only southern Ca.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.