Many moons ago, I was an exchange student to Egypt. It was a life changing experience. I really wanted to go to Europe, but since I listed Egypt first on the list (I put all the countries in alphabetical order), I ended up going there. There were only 10 of us who went from the US through the AFS program that year.

I received an email this morning with notification of a two week intensive program in Egypt later this summer. Here is the full information sent in the email:

Greetings from AFS in New York:

AFS-USA is offering 15 full scholarships including international airfare for a two-week intensive program to Egypt from August 23rd to September 5th. Full details follow below. We are hopeful that you know eligible candidates for this program. Please forward this on to others in your network who may be interested.

Best regards,

Patti Davis

Call for Nominations: Global Youth Leadership in the 21st Century

Egypt 2007: Preserving the Past - Building the Future
A Youth Leadership and Cultural Heritage Program!

Special Scholarship Opportunity from AFS Intercultural Programs

AFS is offering 15 extraordinary young people between the ages of 18 and 23 years old a full-tuition scholarship for an intensive cultural heritage preservation, leadership development forum and homestay program in Egypt from August 23 to September 5, 2007. Selected participants will join 25 alumni of a U.S. State Department-sponsored high school academic exchange program to the US in building a commitment to international cooperation and cultural heritage preservation through community service.

This special program includes: collaborating on a community service project with young leaders from 11 countries in the Middle East and North Africa; participating in a prestigious international youth leadership forum sponsored by H.E. Mrs. Suzanne Mubarak; tours, seminars and project work in historic Cairo focused on cultural preservation and sustainable development; briefing with officials from the US Embassy in Cairo; pre- and post-program orientations; living with an Egyptian host family in one of several regions of Egypt; and interaction with Egyptian officials and international educators and leaders.

Eligibility and Application Guidelines

Eligibility

• Age between 18-23 (students must be younger than 24 years on August 23, 2007)
  • Outstanding academic achievement (greater than 3.0/4.0 GPA)
  • Demonstrate character that would make them an outstanding representative of the US.
  • Demonstrated ability to meet cross-cultural challenges with maturity, respect, and humor
  • Be committed to sharing their culture with their Egyptian host family and international peers
  • Demonstrated leadership skills and commitment to community service and program themes around the culture of the Islamic world and cultural heritage

Application Guidelines

The application procedure includes a two-step process:

Nomination: Applicants must first be nominated by a teacher, AFS volunteer or other member of the applicantā€™s community with knowledge of the applicant's character and experience. To nominate a student in your area, please complete and submit the nomination form and send to [email protected] or fax to (212) 299-9090. Personal relatives cannot serve as nominators.

The deadline for receiving nominations is July 5.

Application: Upon receipt of the nomination form, nominees will receive additional information on completing the full application process. The deadline for receiving completed applications is July 12. Due to the short time frame, applicants must hold a valid passport.

Selection: Finalists will be announced by July 22.

Program Costs:
Round-trip domestic airfare to/from the departure gateway, cost of travel documents, including a visa to Egypt ($15), and spending money are not included in this special scholarship. All other program costs, including international airfare, secondary medical coverage, meals and lodging, orientation and all other on-program expenses, are included. The normal AFS application fee of $75 will apply.

For nomination forms, questions and additional information please contact:
Nancy Levine
AFS-USA
Tel: (800) 876-2376 ext. 1164
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (212) 299-9090

AFS Intercultural Programs (formerly the American Field Service) is a worldwide, non-profit, volunteer-based organization engaging in international student exchange and intercultural education.

This program is being sponsored by the US State Department, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, pending funding.

(Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, I don't mind it being relocated.