Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Chris Benoit and family found dead

Thankfully there are still a good chunk of wrestlers who avoid using stuff such as steroids. I am interested in seeing if the government will step in though.

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTeach View Post
    That is not an advisable way to be: What happened to people who have moral principles and stand up for what they know to be right? The problem with Benoit et. al. is that they lose touch with common sense in pursuit of some poorly conceived benefit to be had by taking steroids. So, if McMahon encourages people in his employ to partake in this for the benefit of a cheesy entertainment venue, shouldn't it occur to some people that there is a big problem with letting this go on?

In fact, a lot of our society is that way: That's why we have people who find drinking alcohol or taking drugs to acceptable as a recreational activity. Peer pressure. That's what it all amounts to. My admiration goes to people who have the sense to recognize a bad thing when it's being pushed on you, and stick to a committment to avoid such crap.
    The sad reality is that as long as people watch it on TV, go to live shows and buy the merchandise it will sell. It's true with a lot of athletes in various sports and it's a shame!
    Foolish Mortal

You know, I consider myself a pretty conservative kinda guy, inspite of my Captain Teach personna, but I have to say, it is pathetic the way some things just continue to push the envelope of good taste or wise programming. The concept that it will continue as long as it will sell is tragic. People will certainly not restrain themselves from doing things that are bad for them. And enacting laws against such things don't seem to do much good either. I mean, look at how many tweakers are out there! Or foget illegal drugs, what about smoking? Clearly, this is something that is an awfully stupid thing to do, yet people continue to do it.

So, we cannot expect networks to police themselves, and try as we might to keep steroids out of athletic (real or staged) events, it still happens. We can't seem to pass laws against something and get rid of it, so what is left?

And then, on top of all that, if anyone dares to speak out for any sort of self-perscribed moral code, media, such as Comedy Cental, MTV, BET, and even Main Network programs ridicule the moralists. What on earth has happened to us?

The only thing that I think works is for Americans to quit being afraid of being ridiculed, and start pointing out that moral restraints need to be embraced. I am not calling for extreme Victorian morality, but dang: quit encouraging the awful.

• Banned User

We can't seem to pass laws against something and get rid of it, so what is left?
    Would you really want us to? Liberty is an important thing, and the more laws that are passed the fewer liberties we have. And, as you pointed out, laws rarely do any good in curtailing bad behaviors anyhow. What is needed isn't laws, but education. Society needs to be taught to eschew such behaviors so that people can then not engage in them by choice. Even then, however, the choice to do so or not do so should still rest with each individual.

Right, Jazzy. My point exactly. Laws don't cut it. But turning our back and pretending it's all ok isn't good either.

The choice does rest in the individual... which is both the plus and the minus of it. At some point, however, when those choices made by the individual begin to infringe on the liberty of others, some other action is needed. Education seems to be the best tool... but in the end, we are all at the mercy of the idiots.

• Banned User

According to toxicology (sp?) reports released today (7/17), there were 'roids inside Benoit when he killed family then hung himself.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Right, Jazzy. My point exactly. Laws don't cut it. But turning our back and pretending it's all ok isn't good either.

The choice does rest in the individual... which is both the plus and the minus of it. At some point, however, when those choices made by the individual begin to infringe on the liberty of others, some other action is needed. Education seems to be the best tool... but in the end, we are all at the mercy of the idiots.
    Fighting and violence have always been a part of human nature though. But it is always better to educate the people about how dangerous these stunts are and how horrible the results could be if someone who is untrained performs them. The real problem is like you said, the idiots, they are the ones who won't listen. My question is, who's really to blame for the lack of education?

So, we cannot expect networks to police themselves, and try as we might to keep steroids out of athletic (real or staged) events, it still happens.
    If you are referring to TV Networks policing steroid use in sports, of course it won't work out in the end. The networks can only police what they want to air. The most damage networks can do are drop shows. But the real issue about steroids in sports is far out of the networks grasps.

• Man O Lantern

I know a former WWE wrestler-- he lives in my area and he's clearly got some major mental issues--paranoia, rage, poor memory. If it's not issues due to head trauma, I'd say it's schizophrenia or steroid use.

When Chris Benoit killed his family and himself, I have to say I became a bit concerned with the people around me that have ticked off the crazy ex-wrestler. Including myself.

I just don't know why this "sport" is popular or why these guys are admired by fans.

• Goofy

because wrestling is a very exciting show to see and I have been watching for years and still good.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    "I know a former WWE wrestler-- he lives in my area and he's clearly got some major mental issues--paranoia, rage, poor memory. If it's not issues due to head trauma, I'd say it's schizophrenia or steroid use.

"When Chris Benoit killed his family and himself, I have to say I became a bit concerned with the people around me that have ticked off the crazy ex-wrestler. Including myself.

"I just don't know why this 'sport' is popular or why these guys are admired by fans.
    Hoak *snort* Horgan? Warrior W. Warrior? Randy "Macho Man" Savage?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112