Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Happy Memories

Re: Chris Benoit and family found dead

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post

Frankly if it turns out as the news states- I don't think he deserves to be given 3 hour memorials. I suspect the WWE may be really humilated if it turns out they spent hours glorifying a man who slaughtered his family- especially a 7 year old child.
    None of the current evidence was known at the time they went on the air last night. They did the right thing based on what they knew at the time. They cancelled a show about a fake death to pay tribute to a real one. If the current reports do turn out to be true, than I agree that the man does not deserve an outpouring of respect. However I don't think you can villainize his coworkers for honoring him prior to hearing any of this. The wrestling world can be tacky and tastless quite often, but what they put on last night was the epitomy of classy.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Last night WWE.COM was covered in tribute stuff to Chris Benoit. Now, its all down and all thats there is the unfolding news story.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Huh?

Too many things are very odd about this...

Am I reading right that Nancy and Daniel were killed at some time during the weekend and Chris was hung on Monday?

So, the scenario seems, somebody killed them, thus the cancellation at Sunday's event. Then, either overstruck with grief or madness at being alone in the house with the bodies so long, he killed himself.

I guess they won't know until they checked the prints and such...
    -Tim

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    None of the current evidence was known at the time they went on the air last night. They did the right thing based on what they knew at the time. They cancelled a show about a fake death to pay tribute to a real one. If the current reports do turn out to be true, than I agree that the man does not deserve an outpouring of respect. However I don't think you can villainize his coworkers for honoring him prior to hearing any of this. The wrestling world can be tacky and tastless quite often, but what they put on last night was the epitomy of classy.

I did not "villainize" anyone- I said they will be humiliated. From a business and entertainment viewpoint it will look bad- no matter the timing.

It may have been prudent to hold off on a huge memorial when they did not know the facts.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

The only way the tribute show would have been tacky is if all the evidence and the investigating was done and it was determined he did and THEN they added the show.

I don't think they have to apologize for anything, if the man is a murderer then fine, hate him later but BEFORE that is determined I think they were only doing what anyone else would have done, honoring a friend/coworker.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post

Am I reading right that Nancy and Daniel were killed at some time during the weekend and Chris was hung on Monday?

So, the scenario seems, somebody killed them, thus the cancellation at Sunday's event. Then, either overstruck with grief or madness at being alone in the house with the bodies so long, he killed himself.

What???

This man had two other children- you think he sat in a house with dead bodies and just offed himself out of grief???

He had the mental werewithall to cancel a wrestling event- reported the deaths to no one- and then killed himself???

Oh come on!

Whether he killed them or not is not determined but that theory is off the wall-

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    The only way the tribute show would have been tacky is if all the evidence and the investigating was done and it was determined he did and THEN they added the show.

I don't think they have to apologize for anything, if the man is a murderer then fine, hate him later but BEFORE that is determined I think they were only doing what anyone else would have done, honoring a friend/coworker.

Hey. it's just IMO- but the public's memory is short- and I can easily see how people will think it was inappropriate.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
    It's SO sad...I mean, seriously. The man LOVED his family and adored the industry. He is TRULY a class act, even among wrestlers, and I think both wrestling fans and those who say it is fake and overlook the emotion, dedication, and physical risk that these performers put into the matches can still appreciate someone with so much passion and dedication for what they did.

Chris, Nancy, and Daniel Benoit, RIP...

Please forgive me if I am confused, but how much did he LOVE his family if he killed them? As I read the article, he killed his wife and kid. To me, that is not a class act, that is a piece of shi--

Maybe this is a case of not knowing all the details, which it sounds like it may be.

Condolences to the families.

• phbbbbbt

Whether he killed them or not is not determined but that theory is off the wall-
    Following quote is from http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitupdate
    At 10 p.m. Monday night, Lt. Pope held a press conference in conjunction with Scott Ballard, the district attorney for Fayette County. The press conference officially ruled authorities’ findings as a double murder-suicide from within the home.
    So not only is that theory off the wall, it was already confirmed as a murder/suicide.
    Last edited by Deanna; 06-26-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: for clairity
    xo, Deanna

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Not only is all of the tribute stuff down. WWE has essentially PURGED the website of anything having to do with Chris Benoit. His profile was taken down (as far as I know), his shopzone stuff has been discontinued, and PPV DVD descriptions have been edited (the Wrestlemania XX description now reads as "Triple H defending his title against Shawn Michaels")

This is all just so tragic. I mean, details are still slow to come out, but I just can't believe this.

I can't imagine how rough this is going to be on the industry and all of the workers who knew and loved Benoit so well. It's going to be hard for guys like Malenko, Edge, Chavo, Angle, and Jericho. I can't imagine what is going to possibly follow this. Even though it's not a true concern, there just isn't much of a way for the WWE to come out of this looking good in any light. The WWE canceled what was arguably the biggest storyline (even though it was completely tasteless and disrespectful) that has been the focus of EVERY recent television episode because one of their current stars died (Sherri Martel died, but that wasn't enough to deter them from the fake death storyline...which, I am torn on...) and to find out shortly after that the man that they tributed and admired committed a heinous crime. I mean, say what you will, but the WWE made a very respectful move in cancelling the storyline, but now that leaves them high and dry and in a total need to completely change directions, especially in light of the fact that what seemed to be a tragic accident a scant 18 hours ago is in fact the unthinkable. I go around some wrestling message boards from time to time, and when the death was first reported, one or two people feared that Chris might have killed them, but the overall attitude was that was unthinkable. I know you can never know what's going on with someone, but still.

This is turning into the media circus that I feared it would. It's big news. It's the main story on CNN.com right now.

EDIT:

Max, at the time I wrote that last night, the details weren't even out yet. At that time, only 30 minutes after the tribute show started, the thought that Benoit was the killer was unheard of and highly tasteless in the eyes of many people. In light of the circumstances, I no longer stand by that statement.

• Progressive Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post

Somebody? That 'somebody' is Chris Benoit; the guy who killed his wife and child.

Every news report cites Chris Benoit as the murderer and there are no other suspects according to police.

The only thing left are the 'bizzare' details that they have yet to elaborate on.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
    Max, at the time I wrote that last night, the details weren't even out yet. At that time, only 30 minutes after the tribute show started, the thought that Benoit was the killer was unheard of and highly tasteless in the eyes of many people. In light of the circumstances, I no longer stand by that statement.

I hear you Twist. With limited info when it happened, it is totally understandable to post what was posted. It is hard to imagine someone hurting his loved ones, let alone killing them.

The news is now reporting that it is likely that steroids were involved, which would speak to the sudden rage. Hopefully this serves to increase awareness about the risks of steroids.

• Yes?

This whole thing is just tragic....no matter your opinion of what happened. The bottom line is that three people are dead and we will never truly know the motive or what really happened. With that said, I will give credit to Vince McMahon for stepping out of his on-tv character to at least make a public speach last night. Since, as those of you who follow wrestling know, his "character" was killed last week. So, he sacrificed his storyline for this...and for that I have a little bit more respect for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post

Exactly.

They did the show to pay tribute to the fact that he was a pioneer in the industry. Yesterday, all of us wrestling fans were sad to hear he died. That's all we knew. We we're, and still are mourning the deaths of the Benoit family. But after the show aired is when more information was released to the public. WWE did the right thing by honoring what he did for the business.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I did not "villainize" anyone- I said they will be humiliated. From a business and entertainment viewpoint it will look bad- no matter the timing.

It may have been prudent to hold off on a huge memorial when they did not know the facts.
    There was an earlier report that indicated the wife. However, current reports are that Chris Benoit is the perpetrater. This is the darkest and most unexpected scenerio for the WWE and it's fans.

The WWE started removing the tributary areas of it's site early this morning, i.e. late last night. Now, it is complete. Regardless of what went down, it is rediculous to suggest that wrestling entertainment reacted prematurely last night in paying tribute. The murder took place on the same day as the broadcast, and to have went on with the show as normal would have been perceived as crass. So would have cancelling the show all together.

Conclusive reports still are not in., and they (like myself) wanted to believe Chris Benoit to be incapable of such an atrocity. They will always be respected for acting out of love during extreme circumstances. If Chris Benoit did it (and it looks like he did), a slain family is bad enough - without placing blame on the WWE, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Please forgive me if I am confused, but how much did he LOVE his family if he killed them? As I read the article, he killed his wife and kid. To me, that is not a class act, that is a piece of shi--

Maybe this is a case of not knowing all the details, which it sounds like it may be.

Condolences to the families.
    I'm reserving harsh comments about the man until final evidence is in. But, yes.. This act was evil, plain and simple. If Chis Benoit did it, I would agree that he had zero love and respect for his family.

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    Somebody? That 'somebody' is Chris Benoit; the guy who killed his wife and child.

Every news report cites Chris Benoit as the murderer and there are no other suspects according to police.

The only thing left are the 'bizzare' details that they have yet to elaborate on.
    This is likely the case. Nevertheless, I'll save my harsh judgement for the final announcement.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-26-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast