• Circle of Ancients

Fire in South Lake Tahoe

I'm sure most of you have heard by now that there is a huge fire in South Lake Tahoe that has already burned up 3000 acres of beautiful trees and worse, over 200 homes! The fire is only 10% contained at this point because the ruggedness of the area and the intense smoke is making it very difficult for planes to get in there. I really hope there are no Micechatters being directly affected by this. I hope and pray that they will get the fire contained before it destroys more trees and homes and I pray for all the firefighters who are risking their lives to save what is a beloved area to many people!

• Sock Puppet

Re: Fire in South Lake Tahoe

at the Bel Air, which is a grocery store, where i work one of my managers put a flyer in the food for families boxes and all of the money collected in these boxes the next month will go the victims who have lost their homes and to anyone in the area of the fire

• Banned User

I thought of you, Anne, when I heard about these fires as I know you have a home in Tahoe. (Just not sure where.) I hope everyone is okay. Homes can be replaced, but, the people in them cannot. God bless everyone in that area.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

What a horrible fire. Here's a site to track wildfires: http://geomac.usgs.gov/
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

I just got put on alert to leave at a moments notice to go up and help handle the surge of property claims up there. This is really unfortunate and a special thanks to the firefighters for taking on the blaze.
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• Sock Puppet

The firefighters working on this fire are amazing!!! They set the fire line before South Tahoe High School... and while there was nothing they could do to save many of the homes up there, they did manage to save the high school!

Before the fire broke out on Sunday, there were 2 bruch fires within a mile of my home. Nothing was damaged, but we did get the chance to watch the helicopters fly over our home and pick up water from the river. Once the South Tahoe Fire broke out, all 5 helicopters and planes were sent right to Tahoe. These people put everything into their jobs... its amazing.

As of right now, they are reporting 225 homes destroyed, 2,700 acres burned, 40% containment.

• Hangin Around

I hope more of the fire can be contained more before the winds pick up in a day or two. It is so sad what is happening to the area. Fallen Leaf Lake is one of my favorite places to go. Before my father became ill I would go to Tahoe at least once a month. My heart goes out to everyone effected by this fire.

• Circle of Ancients

I got teary eyed watching the news last night. This fire is so devastating. I hope they get it contained really soon.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    I got teary eyed watching the news last night. This fire is so devastating. I hope they get it contained really soon.

Me too! I feel terrible for the families who have lost their homes and one mom was saying that the only reason she's going to go in to look at the damage is to try to find her cat!

Rapunzel...that is SO AWESOME that the firefighters were able to save the high school. And I am so glad your home is not in the area directly affected. 40% containment sounds a lot better than 10%....thank God the conditions were a little better overnight!

Will you please let us know if you hear of anything we can do to help the families or firefighters ?

• Sock Puppet

Even though many families have lost their homes lets give the firefighters a big round of appaulse of what they have been doing the last couple of days because without them it probably could be a lot worse.

Firefighters are #1

• Sock Puppet

I guess now the fire is back up in the trees and heading towards the Tahoe Keys area and Camp Richardson... it jumped one of the fire lines when they were seating the backfire the wind changed.

• Circle of Ancients

OH NO! Not Camp Richardson and Tahoe Keys!

Oh my gosh! There are so many homes in that area!

I hope it starts pouring rain up there!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Camp Richardson is full of dead trees, I assume from the bark beetle infestation. Not good.

My heart breaks for this beautiful area and the poor people who are losing their homes.