Thread: 800 Phone Scam

• Princess of my own world

800 Phone Scam

For the past two months I have been plauged with phone calls from 800-968-1875. When anyone answers there is no response and they leave no messages. Finally tonight I had just had it with the phone calls. I finally spoke with someone and asked them to stop calling. They always call between 5-10 pm. After I spoke with someone they called everywhere 5 minutes between 5:30-9:00 pm.

So I decided to do some research and I just entered the phone number on Google and surprise surprise! A bunch of other people have had the same issue with this exact number.

It turns out that they are a scam, claiming to work with lenders, timeshares, and sometimes even telling you you've won a contest.

My main point for this was to make everyone aware of this and how to attempt to get people like this to leave you alone.

Upon my research I found out I could file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, which I did tonight. I also found out about the do not call registry sign up online, which I did as well.

For so long I just listened and said "No thanks" and let it go, but don't take it! Here's the link to the website: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-968-1875/2 and then here's the link to the site talking about the scam: http://www.dfi.wa.gov/consumers/alerts/united.htm

So that's it. I just wanted to share this with you guys in hopes that it would help at least one frustrated person.

• Resident Duck

Re: 800 Phone Scam

Thanks for the heads up! I've been looking for the registry thing for a while now, so I'm glad you posted it!

And completely off-topic, I love love love your signature! Everything about it.

Disney has ruined my love life

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I've found that even being on the "Do Not Call" list... I STILL get calls. For about a 2-3 week period recently I was getting 2-3 calls each week.

Of course the last one I mentioned something about turning it into the California State Attorney General.... *click* and my phone hasn't rang since.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I've found that even being on the "Do Not Call" list... I STILL get calls. For about a 2-3 week period recently I was getting 2-3 calls each week.

Of course the last one I mentioned something about turning it into the California State Attorney General.... *click* and my phone hasn't rang since.

On the website: https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx you can file a complaint about it if you've been on the list for at least 31 days. Hope this helps.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Thanks for the heads up!

Just to let you all know too, your registration with the Do Not Call List expires after a certain amount of time (a couple of years). I started getting tons of sales calls, all of sudden, a few months ago and wondered what had happened. I just re-registered and haven't had a call since.

Quote Originally Posted by Villains Fan View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!

Just to let you all know too, your registration with the Do Not Call List expires after a certain amount of time (a couple of years). I started getting tons of sales calls, all of sudden, a few months ago and wondered what had happened. I just re-registered and haven't had a call since.

Yeah it gave me an expiration date of 06/2012, so I think it's five years. I didn't know you could also register your cellphone. Thankfully I haven't had troubles with my cell phone.

• Hiding in the shadows

Just a note about the do not call list. Similalry to the do not mail list and the CanSpam legislation, its usually only reputable companies that abide by these. And legitimate telemarketing firm or direct mailer will supress names and numbers on these lists, but the scammers will not, in fact, there have been issues with some scammers using the do not call list to actually call from...sad but true.

A little piece of heaven

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have an answering machine, and I scan my phone calls. If the caller doesn't speak up, and leave a message, I don't pick up. I have some numbers that continually call. I just walk away. Leave a message. Tell me who you are. However, I avoid all telemarketing calls altogether this way.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Knight of Naughtyness

I like this site for determining the source of annoying calls:

http://whocalled.us/

The name is easy to remember too.

If you look at the home page, your number is number 8 on the list. Here is the page for that number:
    http://whocalled.us/lookup/8009681875
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    I like this site for determining the source of annoying calls:

http://whocalled.us/

The name is easy to remember too.

If you look at the home page, your number is number 8 on the list. Here is the page for that number:
    whocalled.us/lookup/8009681875

Thanks for the link! The reports from all the users are consistent with the webpage I was doing reading last night.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

This is absolutely true. We are on the 'do not call list' as well, but still get calls.

One night it was just after 10 pm and someone from this Scarborough something or other called - and they had called previously and I didn't answer - so this one call I answered and some fellow wanted to conduct a survey. I said, "Do you know that it's after 10pm here?" He said, 'Yes, I know that sir." Then I replied with 'Then you'll understand why I am hanging up on you." So I did.

They called back again two days ago and I told them not to call. Not sure how they got my number......

I get these 800 calls on my cell phone constantly and they don't leave a message......so my thought is that if I don't know them I don't answer....