View Poll Results: Which Vegas Cirque Would You Recommend?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mystere

3 14.29%
  • O

15 71.43%
  • Ka

1 4.76%
  • Zumanity

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• e komo mai

"O" it is.

We got our tickets today.
    We're in the 1st balcony above the Orchestra. (The rest was sold out and the second balcony seemed too far away for us...) I'm hoping this is still a good viewing area... What do y'all think?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I'm late, but I've only seen Mystere and O, and you definitely made a good choice with O. I think the balcony would be good, you'll get to see more of what goes on in the water from above.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• -Going Retro-

I saw Mystere and O. I was very excited to see O after all I heard about it but honestly, I didn't find it that great. Yes cool water effects but really when I left I had a "eh" feeling. Now, after Mystere I was excited, happy and I think I shed a tear. As soon as I got home I bought all the sound tracks to every show and still like Mystere's soundtrack the best. However I may not of liked O only because of our seats. I didn't like that we saw all the "behind the scenes" stuff.

No matter what you see you'll enjoy it!

• Minion

I've seen Mystere, O and Ka. Are you planning to see other Cirque shows in the future? I sort of like to use a "save the best for last" strategy so that I'm never disappointed. In that case my order would be Mystere, O, Ka. I voted for Ka, however, because that's just my favorite. I also think it would appeal to the most number of people, as it is highly narrative, unlike the traditional Cirque formula. It's almost a stage play.
    My finger points.

• Social Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    The only Cirque show I've seen live was Quidam.
    OMG, that is absolutely the worst Cirque show I've ever seen, and I've seen every one of them (west of the Mississippi) since they first came to L.A. in, like, '87. Gak, see yourself a good one right now, and .... I'd have to recommend "O" if you can only see one.

Mystere is, imo, the best thing Cirque du Soleil has ever done. It was the first production freed from the big top and it is the quintessential Cirque show with no limits. Unlike the Vegas shows that came afterwards, there's no gimmick (water, sex, storyline), but just pure Cirque magic. That being said, the show is showing its age and is getting a little creaky (um, literally, the stage-moving machinery is really loud). I've never liked version 2 as much as version 1; lots of ancillary performers were eliminated along with some of my favorite acts. But Mystere still has the best music of any Cirque show ever (even though version 2 nixed some of the better pieces). Still a great show, and perhaps not to be missed because - I mean - how much longer can a show run than 12 years?

Zumanity is completely enjoyable. Yeah, they removed the gay parts, but the show is still erotic fun par excellance. Oddly enough, I've found Cirque to be sexier when sex wasn't the explicit theme, but this show is just such a good time that it gets high marks from me. The music is great (don't buy the CD, which features only "inspired-by" music), and it's one of only two shows in Vegas (the other being Mystere) that retains the wonderful tradition of having the band be an integral part of the show. Yes, the gay act was cancelled after previews, and the duo which still provided great eye candy for the first performance I saw, quit the show soon afterwards. But, with a drag queen as the show's M.C., the gay isn't out of Zumanity completely!

Ka was awesome. I just saw it for the first time two weeks ago and was very impressed with how it integrated a mythic story into a string of Cirque acts. I found myself surprisingly involved with the characters and the simple tale. The moving stage is a technical tour-de-force and the show is a pretty successful attempt at a very different style for Cirque du Soleil. That being said, it's my least favorite of the Vegas Cirque shows. But that's like saying it's my least favorite Beatle. If this is Cirque's "Ringo," that's hardly a scathing criticism. But I wouldn't see Ka unless I'd seen all the others first.

"O" is spectacular and amazing on every level. It's so dreamlike and fantastical and impressive! Where you sit is more important for "O" than for any other Cirque production. You want to be far enough back to see the surface of the water, but not too far back that the performers are tiny. Seats in either the rear of the orchestra section or front of the rear section are essential. And, as with all Cirque shows, being sideways centerized also offers the best views. The constantly morphing water pool stage is a fantastic character in its own right. I'd have to say that if you have only one Cirque show to see, make it "O." You will be mesmerized.

But since I can't believe you'd only seen Quidam, and can't get a time machine to see Cirque Reinvent, Nouvelle Experience, Saltimbanco, Alegria, Dralion or Verekai - - return to Vegas as often as possible to see Ka, and Zumanity and, yes, Mystere. They'll likely be playing for only the next 2 decades, so hurry. And, before you know it, there'll be another one in Las Vegas ... this time based on, believe it or not, Beatles songs! Being Cirque, it's practically pre-guaranteed to be great -- - and at worst, it will have to settle for being Cirque's "Pete Best."

• Social Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Minion
    I would probably go against the popular majority here and vote for Zumanity, but we all know it's cause I'm more a freak at heart

[cue innerSpaceman]
    Um, yeah, if you want to get it on with your sweetie afterwards, this is the show to see. If you like, they even have love seats way down front ... so if you snag one of those, you can start getting it on while the show's still happening!

• Social Imagineer

And my third post in a row is to say that, ugh, I should read threads through before I post in them, and not really go on a rant about all the shows once the Cricket has already purchased tickets ... especially if I'm going to claim that the seats he already got are going to suck!

Not exactly true. With "O," it's better to be far than to be close. Seeing the surface of the water is more important than being able to read the facial expressions of the performers. There's so much going on in "O" that it's good to be able to see the big pictures, which a faraway, wide view will grant you.

Enjoy!

• Official MC Thread Killer

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    "O" it is.

We got our tickets today.
    We're in the 1st balcony above the Orchestra. (The rest was sold out and the second balcony seemed too far away for us...) I'm hoping this is still a good viewing area... What do y'all think?
    Hey! I think we have the same seating area. Very kewl. I saw a photo of the theater and it looks like a great spot to view everything. When are you going?
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    Um, yeah, if you want to get it on with your sweetie afterwards, this is the show to see. If you like, they even have love seats way down front ... so if you snag one of those, you can start getting it on while the show's still happening!
    " I don't populate; I decorate. "

I vote for 'O.' I haven't actually seen any of the Vegas shows, but in 8 days I will be seeing 'O'. I can't wait! I have seen La Nouba in Florida, and it was amazing. I've also seen another one, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called. It was good, but La Nouba was better.
    You're Alive
    Well it's only
    Fallen frames
    They've told me

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by 1stStarIC2nite
    When are you going?
    I believe we're going to be there on the 20th. Ralphie booked the seats online. I totaly can't wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman to be read in Donald Duck's voice
    OMG, that is absolutely the worst Cirque show I've ever seen... Quack quack quack!
    One of my ulterior motives for starting this thread was to get iSm to give us his review of all shows. It worked! iSm is the ultimate Cirque Freaque. He knows everything about everything about these shows. Love it!

I wish we could have seen more than one, but we're not going to be in Vegas for very long. And, yes, Quidam was the only one I saw. I guess after my blah experience with Quidam (mostly due to lack of sleep), I haven't had much desire to go see Cirque. When I heard that my friends had such a good time with Ka and that iSm loved Mystere, it sparked my interest.

Ralphie's only sort of experience with Cirque is seeing it spoofed on 'South Park' and 'The Simpsons'. So, he didn't get the jokes, but thought it was hysterical and was muy curious about the shows.

Thanks y'all.
    B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12