• Comin' at ya!

Living costs in CA

I've been thinking about the prospect of moving down to my favorite state, California. I've heard it's expensive, but I really don't know.

Anyone have a kinda general idea how much an apartment would cost down in Anahiem? Probably 1-2 bedroom apartment. Just a general idea about price ranges from people who live in the area...Can you help me out? Not loooking for specifics just an idea about how much it would cost to live down there.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• For old time sake

Re: Living costs in CA

Depends on where you go. I would guess over $1k/mo. for a 1br and $1200 for a 2br.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Minion

Expensive! I pay almost $1400 a month for a decent 1 bdr apt (decent meaning in a good area. I am a female, so for me to feel safe, I need to be in a good area) but that is not in Anaheim. It is about 10min south. Also, a lot of places here will charge you extra for trash, water, and gas, so if you can find a place that incl those, it is a better deal. Also, look for places with specials like no security deposit or free rental check or money off the rent.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Housing gets less expensive outside of Orange County, so if you don't have your heart set on Anaheim...

Here is an ad from Inland Empire paper. This is for Corona.

2BR Townhome, washer/dryer/microwave incl. Gated, playground & pool/spa. 15 minutes from Orange County. $1135/mo. Please call 951-739-7400

About 15 minutes farther inland in Riverside:

CONDO STYLE 2 story, 1 BR, loft $850. Central air, gated access, washer/dryer hookups, assigned parking, park-like setting. Not approved for Section 8. Manager, 951-530-1508

From OC paper, in Anaheim:

ANAHEIM 2BD 1BA, 2 car gar, central A/C, W/D hkup. $1400/mo. 714-812-2243

• Comin' at ya!

Yikes, so expensive. I live in a small town so its a big price increase. I don't have my heart set in Anaheim, but it would be nice to be there or near.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

There are lots of places and variation here. Do some research, and go for it! I love being here even though it's crowded and expensive.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Um...

I've lived in WA state, and I've lived in Anaheim...

Before you move down, save up! Not just a little, a LOT!

Trust me...

Best of luck! It may seem tough right now, but living in So Cal is completely worth it... atleast in my opinion...
    She said all she heard was wind, which was insulting, as my phone was in my back pocket...

• Banned User

I think California has so much to offer, its a beautiful state, the ocean the parks what a wonderful place to live. on the other hand, the traffic, the drive times to work, and the cost of living, way high. ( but yeah I would love to live there, love love love to live there close to my friends and be able to run free on the beach and play at the parks, I envy you who live there, I really do

• Circle of Ancients

Plus, the Inland Empire is NOT 15 minutes from Orange County. Sure, if your driving at 3am or something, but most of the time, with traffic you can count on at least an hour.

CA is not a cheap place to live.

• For old time sake

I grew up in Ca and the only thing I miss is my friends, DL and being close (i.e 45min-1 hour drive) to the beach. Other than that, I would not trade NC for anything.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Plus, the Inland Empire is NOT 15 minutes from Orange County. Sure, if your driving at 3am or something, but most of the time, with traffic you can count on at least an hour.
    Yeah, I don't know where they got that time estimate! I live in "eastern OC" (aka Corona) and it takes me 40 minutes to get to DL using the carpool and fast track lanes. I suppose you could get to Yorba Linda in 15 minutes if you lived on the western-most edge of Corona and traffic cooperated on the 91 .. Sorry. Couldn't say that with a straight face.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

There are several websites where you can do searches for apartment rentals. We've used them a few times when my daughter was looking for places both in Anahiem and North County San Diego. Just do a Google or Yahoo search for "southern California apartment rentals" and you will find lots of info on prices.

Of course, without actually looking you don't know what you might be getting. My daughter saw several online that looked ok and had a decent price but when they went to look at them.... yeah... total gettoville, so you have to be very careful.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I used to live in Costa Mesa, which is just a short drive from Anaheim, near Newport Beach. I had a one bedroom apartment in a good location and it would be around 1,300 a month or so now. In Irvine, we have a three-bedroom apartment for 2155 a month, but Irvine is going to be one of the most expensive cities. The further from the ocean you get in OC, the cheaper it will be in general.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

CA is not a cheap place to live.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Yeah, I don't know where they got that time estimate! I live in "eastern OC" (aka Corona) and it takes me 40 minutes to get to DL using the carpool and fast track lanes. I suppose you could get to Yorba Linda in 15 minutes if you lived on the western-most edge of Corona and traffic cooperated on the 91 .. Sorry. Couldn't say that with a straight face.
    I live in the Inland Empire and it takes me 40 minutes to drive from my place to Disneyland, no traffic. That ad is bogus.

EXPENSIVE here! Even the Inland Empire is getting pricey. I've been looking for an apartment and a nice 1 bedroom in a nice community in a nice area of Rancho Cucamonga goes for $1250! And that is AFTER you pass their grueling Credit Checks.