Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Clearing my Calendar

Re: Safety freak or just a freak?

Bryan's big thing is the stove. Even though I know he checks it, I have to check it, too. Because he always asks me, "Is the stove off?"

Me: "Yes."

Him: "Are you sure."

Me: "Yes" - although, on occasion, I've been known to say, "No." just to toss things up.

There really isn't too much about us that's "safety freak". But when we go away on vacation I always make sure unnecessary appliances are unplugged (fans, tv, computers, etc). Once when I was in High School and we went out of the country, our cat had somehow managed to vomit into (yes, INto) the TV. We came home to the most rancid smell that permeated the whole house for weeks until we found out what the problem was. It shorted the TV, needless to say.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

I always unplug the coffee pot when not in use. I remember sometime in the 80's when Mr. Coffee coffeemakers were catching fire when plugged in too long. I also keep the toaster unplugged. My husband checks the stove every night before bed. The doors are always locked. When we go on a trip, I turn off all the surge protectors and unplu most things. I haven't been turning off the water when we leave, but I know I should. One of my good friends came home for a weekend trip to a flooded house.

We are total safety freaks. We probably go a little overboard
    I'd rather be at Disneyland!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I never unplug the toaster. It never occurred to me to do that.

But I do put the knives facing down in the dishwasher- always
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Knives. Must be pointed down in the dishwasher.
    I do this with forks as well, they must be pointed down. When I was little I had a cousin that fell over an open dishwasher that had a big BBQ type fork sticking up, she put her hands out to stop the fall...it wasnt pretty.

We also unplug the toaster, coffee pot, and blender when we are not using them, close the lid on the toilet and I use my emergency brake almost every time I park my car, even if there is no hill in sight (its an automatic).

I usually wake up at least twice a night and i check on my kids each time I get up :-)

A little piece of heaven

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    I use my emergency brake almost every time I park my car, even if there is no hill in sight (its an automatic).
    Now that's a good one. I had this conversation with friends not too long ago. One friend had burnt up her brakes because she forgot to let the emergency brake off and she drove around with it on. She never uses is (but had to this time for whatever reason) and she just didn't release it because she never used it before.

Now I was told in Driver's Training that you ALWAYS put the emergency brake on when you are parked. I ALWAYS do. I didn't think this was unusual. Is it?

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    When I go on vacation, or away for the night, I turn the water off to the house. I've seen too many pipes break in my life when people go on vacation, only to come home to a flooded house.
    Never thought about turning the water off, but we live in SoCal so not much chance of the pipes freezing and bursting. Now when we owned a home in Tahoe, we always turned off the water and left the heater on very low to prevent frozen pipes.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    Once when I was in High School and we went out of the country, our cat had somehow managed to vomit into (yes, INto) the TV. We came home to the most rancid smell that permeated the whole house for weeks until we found out what the problem was. It shorted the TV, needless to say.
    Cats can do strange things with their vomit...
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    Cats can do strange things with their vomit...
    I had one who did it inside (not on top) of the mattress.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I always use my emergency brake when I am park. Of course, if I don't my car will rather easily move, even in gear.

My biggest issues are at work. The biggest thing I do is wear gloves at work when working on the Zamboni. It has an 84" long, razor sharp blade that must be changed out weekly. It has to be removed manually and I've seen way to many bloody hands.

The other big thing at work is I am a very big stickly for making people follow the rules during public skate sessions. The big one is not letting two parents hold each hand of a child. Nothing's worse than seeing a little kid that's been hurt, including some bone one time.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Lazyboy: When hubby and I met, he worked at an ice rink and I heard many Zamboni / skate stories.

• Defying gravity

We always unplug appliances before leaving the house for a vacation. I never leave curlers, etc. plugged in if I'm not in the house. And we never leave our air conditioning on when we're gone.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    I had one who did it inside (not on top) of the mattress.

How exactly?!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post

How exactly?!
    It was actually in the box foundation. He tore a hole in the lining and crawled inside.

• no flash photography...

I unplug fans before going to bed. I can't have nay knives or scissors out before I go to sleep. I check all the doors and windows at least twice before bedtime....I think i have OCD...maybe....I never start any appliance to run when we're not home. (dishwasher, washer/dryer..roomba.

I also have to have my purse right beside me when I go to sleep and I l always make sure the cell phone and keys are inside....oh, and I make sure ther eis nothing on the floor we could trip over if we had to walk around in the dark....I better stop...I'm do have ocd

• no flash photography...

i always use the emergency brake when I park also....except if I park in the garage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast