Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comfort

• Former Epcot CM

Comfort

We all have moments when we just need comforting, and when theres no-one around to do it for you, you turn to material things.

What do you do for comfort? What is your comfort food? Comfort TV show, which you can just slap on and feel safe? Any comfort music? When was the last time you just had time to yourself and slopped on the sofa?

Well it has been very tropical here in the UK the past few days. Yes, I did just say tropical and UK in the same sentence. For the past few weeks, the heat has verged on blistering, and yet for the past two days we have had violent (very violent) lightening and thunder, and none-stop rain pretty much. So after coming in from school SOAKED, I made a nice big mug of hot chocolate, put on a Futurama DVD and got into bed . Damn, it felt nice. You lot ever have moments like this, or have I just hit the completely wrong nerve?
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Hooterville, USA

I have 700 Disney songs that do the trick. Or I pop in at DL and catch a few rides that have the same music that I listen to everyday. I'm weird! No I'm not, yes I am!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• e komo mai

I can't really explain it, but the first 'Lord of the Rings' movie is a comfort movie for me. I'm not sure why.

I'm not an expert when it comes to Jazz, but lots of Jazz music comforts me. I like the older tunes the best.

Lying on my couch with a quilt with all the lights off watching a good movie is my comfort zone. Love that.

Disneyland is a comfort zone for me also. When I'm not stressed to ride everything and am there in the company of great people, I feel at ease.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries
    I have a velveteen rabbit named TimmyBunny that I've had since I was about 5. He is old and very shabby and his ears are shredded up. And when life sucks and I need comfort, I hug him. I know it sounds incredibly juvenile, but TimmyBunny has seen me through every major crisis and triumph in my life. And I love him, even if he's old and ugly.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• e komo mai

Also, TinkPink's current avatar is very comforting...

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    Here are my personal "remedies", depending on what can of comfort I need at the time:
    • Stressed - Yanni, Enya, stargazing, watching the ocean, driving through the mountains, a night at the gym, or Disneyland
    • Aggravated - games where I can "blow things up" and "make things/'people' do my bidding" - i.e. Total Annhiliation, Age of Empires, The Sims, Age of Wonders (I especially love watching my Sims suffer by taking on the worst jobs and giving them no fun things in their homes - MUHAHAHAHA! :devil: )
    • Sad/Depressed - Disneyland, cuddling my 28-year-old stuffed Mickey
    • Over-loaded (brain about to explode) - games where I can just "escape" - i.e. Uru, RCT3, etc., or Disneyland

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Also, TinkPink's current avatar is very comforting...
    Wow! :o Glad you think so! I agree!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Incognito

Blog Entries
    When its been a rough day, and everything and everyone has just been getting on my nerves, nothing calms me down more that a shot of Grey Goose that I keep in my freezer.

Other things: planespotting from my backyard, doing some yardwork things like trimming bushes and weeding, reading magazines (no not those kinds!), taking a nice long hot bath with a glass of red wine listening to music.

Comfort foods for me - peanut butter and jelly sammiches, brownies, graham cracker pie to name a few.

• Man O Lantern

Ooooh, I love those comfort moments!!!

Comfort food: Homemade lasagna, black chai tea, big chunks of fresh hot ciabatta, a glass of syrah, a soy latte....

Comfort place: Under a chenille blanket on the couch, usually with a book in hand. Or on a bench in the courtyard under our Japanese maples in the front yard.

Comforting things: Any Joyce Carol Oates book. When I have a JCO book, my ovaries are in alignment and all is good. She makes me feel so womanly and wise.

Comforting activities: I'll pop in any season of Sex & the City (I've watched Seasons 1 and 3 the most), or the very last episode if I want a good cry.

Comforting music: Damien Rice's "O" or Jack Johnson's "On and On" or Howie Day's "Australia." Another favorite for mellowness is the I Am Sam soundtrack. I could listen to Sarah McLachlan sing Blackbird all damn day. One of my very favorite songs.

• The one on the left.

When someone at work aggravates me I have three letters that take care of it, BWF. My own personal wrestling federation. It was once a weekly e-mail that was quite popular. But writing "BWF Friday Morning Well Done" every week started to take too long. However I still come up with the occasional Pa-Per read. So I can take them on myself or I have many co-workers who have appeared as wrestlers that I can add to the match. Come to think of it I may need to come up with one soon.

Carry on.
    Ooo, heaven is a place on earth.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink
    Wow! :o Glad you think so! I agree!
    Totally. I like Enya's music it's very mellow... Love that.

----------

Anyone else automatically thought "and Joy" after reading the name of this thread? I did.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries
    When I have a problem I have a system, it always works. I go into a dark room close all the curtains, take my clothes off and eat frozen food. Wait, thats what I do when I'm overheated, when I have a problem I just go to pieces.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tui
    When I have a problem I have a system, it always works. I go into a dark room close all the curtains, take my clothes off and eat frozen food. Wait, thats what I do when I'm overheated, when I have a problem I just go to pieces.
    Hmmmmmm, yet another idea for the dark room.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    I could listen to Sarah McLachlan sing Blackbird all damn day. One of my very favorite songs.
    Me too! It's the best song!
    I love that whole soundtrack!

Comfort to me is lying in bed on a Sunday morning and popping in a Disney DVD and just remembering how much I loved being a kid and growing up w/ disney movies.

For foods it's gotta be the blue box mac n cheese. I also love tomato soup and grill cheese in the winter when it's really cold out and i've had a tuff day at work.
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries
    Well, I haven't slopped on the sofa in a few years (if ever?) because we don't have a sofa.

My comfort is putting on my favorite pair of PJ pants, curling up in my chair with a certain blanket, my teddy bear (officially lisenced as Peter Pan's happy thought!), eating Spagehetti-os and watching a certain movie that always makes me laugh and remember good times.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast