Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Clearing my Calendar

Re: Swearing in Public - your thoughts?

I, too, don't understand where the bad connotation came from. They're words. Who sat down and said, "This one is good. But this one isn't." ? I can see where some have evolved over the years from one meaning to a whole new, negative meaning. Like bitch. But words like **** and damn just seem the be in a matter of context, so wouldn't shoot, fudge, crap, and darn be just as bad if it were based on context?

By the way, I just decided to let the filter do the work. We all know which words we're talking about and I'm not one for using the pretty words.

Quote Originally Posted by joannabanana View Post
    OMG, speaking of swearing at church...

One time I was at church and this guy gave a talk and he used every scripture from the Bible with the word @$$ in it. It was unbelievably shocking, but funny too because it was so out of place. This guy had guts. My sisters and I did a double-take when we heard the first one go. Nobody in the congregation laughed, while we were trying our hardest not to. I guess we are the heathens... I will never forget that moment.
    Samson and Delilah huh?
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• white and nerdy

To me, Swearing is more of a lousy cliche than outright offensive. It falls into the broad category of activities everyone thinks is edgy, yet everyone does it. It's worse than using the phrases "avoid like the plague" "Suddenly he saw" or "It was a dark and stormy night" in writing. It is very easy to do, very devoid of meaning, and panders to the lowest common denominator.

Some people hold degrees, but if they don't have the ability to express frustration or anger or pain without using the same words a fifth grader utters in their moments of rebellion, then they need to educate themselves further in matters of vocabulary.

Now, I admit, I sometimes swear. I work with cows and rebellious teenagers... need I say more? But more often than not, I try to use more creative, more meaningful, and more scathing turns of phrase than "Eff" or "Esach" Yes, as language evolves many swear words lose their meaning, but that, to me, is more reason not to use them.

Of course common decency is not very common. No matter how you choose to express yourself alone or with friends, you shouldn't spat it out around kids. Why try to offend someone needlessly? If you can't control yourself to help make society a more pleasant place, then I'd turn in that degree for a cave.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScarLion View Post
    Go sue Martin Scorsese...
    . . . . and Quentin Tarantino

. . . . and David Mamet

(Three of my favorite writers/directors btw. %&^&* they're good!)

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    To me, Swearing is more of a lousy cliche than outright offensive. It falls into the broad category of activities everyone thinks is edgy, yet everyone does it. It's worse than using the phrases "avoid like the plague" "Suddenly he saw" or "It was a dark and stormy night" in writing. It is very easy to do, very devoid of meaning, and panders to the lowest common denominator.
    One of the best South Park episodes ever was the one where the word s*it was used over and over again to the point that it lost all meaning and the ability to offend.

There is a time and place for everything. I think swearing is healthy in the right context. It's a form of expression and stress relief. It also makes for funny punchlines of some great dirty jokes.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    One of the best South Park episodes ever was the one where the word s*it was used over and over again to the point that it lost all meaning and the ability to offend.

There is a time and place for everything. I think swearing is healthy in the right context. It's a form of expression and stress relief. It also makes for funny punchlines of some great dirty jokes.
    In entertainment it's one thing (and sometimes Jokes can fall in that category) but I've seen people, lots of people, tons of people, who literally can't put a sentence together without using two or three cussies. The fact that these words have whatever power over people that they people use it like this is just strange.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Comin' at ya!

I was brought up not to swear, so I try not to. When I'm mad it's really hard and I usually slip a few, but other than that I don't have a problem because it's just natural for me to use other words. When I do swear for like a joke or something, It feels weird and unnatural.

As far as swearing in public, I think it's disrespectful. I don't really know if I believe swearing is "bad" but I do believe it's offensive. Even if it's not a bad word, saying it in front of someone who does consider it a bad word or is offensive is rude. So no matter what you believe about swearing and whether it's right or wrong, I think it's disrespectful to do it in a public place especially among children...You never know who you will offend. Swearing with friends who you know are fine with it, I don't have a problem. But when you force other people to listen, then it's wrong IMO.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Some people hold degrees, but if they don't have the ability to express frustration or anger or pain without using the same words a fifth grader utters in their moments of rebellion, then they need to educate themselves further in matters of vocabulary.
    I think you get pretty close to how I feel about the situation. I didn't want to say "cursing is low-class" because that doesn't quite describe the situation. I guess swearing is, well, easy. You don't have to think and construct any real sentances when cursing. Hearing other people do it (and I mean really do it) is so distasteful and it truly bothers me that I, on occasion, do it myself. I should have the self-control and restraint to hold my tongue. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• Shablagoo!

My current favorite way to swear, without a actually swearing is to say
    Draws a Vacuum instead of Sucks.

I also really like to say Intercourse instead of the f-word. (thank you Monty)

Still I am careful where and when I say anykind of bad word. Especially when there are kids around.

• Banned User

I think that swearing in the privacy of your own home and doing it out in public are two totally different things. I used to hate hearing it in public when my children were small and I was trying to teach them NOT to use those words. It's uncalled for and I think people should watch their mouths in public, especially with small children around.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Minion

I don't swear at all. First, I work around children, and I don't want the wrong words slipping out because I'm accustomed to using them in other situations. So I don't say them at all.

Second, I'm not particularly offended when I hear adults swearing in the presence of other adults, though I do find overuse of certain words tiresome. Whatever meaning they once had has long disappeared. (Probably one reason why I never watched "The Sopranos.")

Third, people who swear in public are either unaware of their surroundings or looking for attention. I always try to be considerate of who may be listening, and I'm not so starved for attention that I have to shock the people around me with profanity.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet

• Resident Duck

Cursing definitely has less meaning than it used to. I got called an 'f-ing whore' the other day by one of my friends...and the context was such that this was supposed to be a good thing. I, of course, was slightly offended, but no one else in our group saw the problem in using such words.

Disney has ruined my love life

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Then, in the more famous examples, Penn & Teller. I'm sure you wouldn't exactly call them low class and uneducated.
    Bull**** is a wonderful show. And the episode on this very topic was renamed Humbug. Why? Because "humbug" was a lot more offensive than it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    For starters, words only have as much power as we allow them to have. I've never really understood the whole curse word thing. Who suddenly decided that some words are good and others are bad? They're all just words. I think the meaning, and intention behind the words is much more important than the actual words used. So when someone will "cutely" substitute a silly word in place of a swear, I have to ask, if your intention is the same, then what difference does it make if you choose to say "fluffernutter" instead of "$^@$%#$%!%!#$$%#!"
    Agreed. The intention is still the same.

One time I was at church and this guy gave a talk and he used every scripture from the Bible with the word @$$ in it. It was unbelievably shocking, but funny too because it was so out of place. This guy had guts. My sisters and I did a double-take when we heard the first one go. Nobody in the congregation laughed, while we were trying our hardest not to. I guess we are the heathens... I will never forget that moment.
    The Bible doesn't actual acknowledge what we today call "cursing". "Jesus ****ing Christ!" isn't what was being talked about. It is actual cursing of people, such as "I call upon God to strike you down."

This is the only part of "foul" language that bothers me. The total inoriginality of the statements. Nothing is worse than some person saying "****" and everybody thinking so and so is the biggest, baddest mother ****er on earth.

• Huh?

Well, one time, I was visiting this one freaky church (the people that were members were just bizarre...) and they had a play where this woman dies and God is going over her life and why she's not getting into heaven. The dialog during the part where her life was being replayed (via audio) was, and I quote:

"*******! S***! *******! G*******! *******! *******! *******!"

Those people were freaks.

I was going to their bible study before that play for several weeks. The same people every week said, "Hi, are you new here? What's your name?
    -Tim

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PEZZ Lightyear View Post

I just need to watch it at work because they try to be all "Corporate" and sh**...

• Rarely has a point

Blog Entries

Swearing wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a taboo. Anyways who's to say what sounds are offensive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast