Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Swearing in Public - your thoughts?

What the F david Blaine???

IMO swearing is all good, just not in Fanatasy Land theres too many little girls around.

check me out on Flickr
    www.flickr.com/photos/xsorsburn

• Resident Duck

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDucky View Post
    Swearing wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a taboo. Anyways who's to say what sounds are offensive.
    It's not what he said, it's the way he said it! Sorry...couldn't resist.

Disney has ruined my love life

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    IMO It has gotten out of hand. My perception of people that swear a lot is that they are low class and uneducated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4 View Post
    I have tendancies where I swear a lot, but I am also aware of my surroundings.
    Same here. I can have a potty mouth but I know when not to have a potty mouth... like when kids are around.... or at work (though the occasional cuss word slips out, but that happens to everyone at the office).

Oh yeah... and I'm edcumacated too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    Third, people who swear in public are either unaware of their surroundings or looking for attention.
    I disagree. I swear but not to get attention. I use them as expressions of emphasis, surprise, and anger. Not that I get angry a lot but still.

I do try to avoid doing it around kids. Mostly I swear around work and while mountain biking.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Grumpy old man

I swear like a sailor most times, but I know when I should keep my mouth in check and when I can let it all hang out. I never curse in front of family, but if I'm with friends, my mouth is dirty as it can be. I'm usually pretty potty mouthed online too, I keep it in check here, but other places I go off with as much color as I can.

i have a potty mouth im sorry

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by fujisakimari View Post
    i have a potty mouth im sorry
    it sounds like you're not the only one.

I suppose when I was a teenager I had a potty mouth, but it was something I grew out of. I always thought it was a phase...guess not.

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

I try to not swear. When the kids were little I said damn a few times and then one day I heard one of the kids say it and at the time it was funny, but now if one of them said it they would get in trouble. I notice that I tend to swear more if I am drinking. If I am really mad then I will say some words or if someone does something to make me mad. I notice my surroundings though and if there are children around, I will use other words. Driving also tends to bring out the swear monster.
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I think it's tacky.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I admit I have a terrible potty mouth. I sprinkle everything I say liberally with curse words. It's a bad habit left over from 4th grade when I would do everything I could to be like my big brother and his friends. My daughter is not allowed to curse. I know she does when she is with her friends, but she wouldn't be caught dead cursing in front of me or she knows I'd kick her azz. However, she is also aware that words are just that: words. She knows better than to give them any kind of power they don't deserve.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by belle View Post
    I try to not swear. When the kids were little I said damn a few times and then one day I heard one of the kids say it and at the time it was funny, but now if one of them said it they would get in trouble.
    When I was a toddler, my mom pretty much didn't pay attention to her language. Until one day we were leaving the supermarket and didn't turn the car in the direction of home. From the backseat, I shouted, "Where the hell are we going?"

Yeah, she shaped up after that.

My uncle swears. A lot. Once we (my cousins and I) were his garage while he was tinkering on a car. He dropped something and uttered, "Sh**!" Anna, the youngest, thought about it a moment and corrected, "No, Daddy. It's Bull Sh**!"

Overall, I think it's tacky. I'll be the first to admit I went through the teenage phase for about a month or so where every other word was something crass. I look back on that time with absolutely no pride. It's shameful to use that type of language in most circumstances. I believe there is definitely a time and a place for it, but it's something like every *other* blue moon.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I disagree. I swear but not to get attention. I use them as expressions of emphasis, surprise, and anger. Not that I get angry a lot but still.

I do try to avoid doing it around kids. Mostly I swear around work and while mountain biking.
    Curious that you swear while mountain biking.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

• Circle of Ancients

I have a potty mouth, but I try to not swear in public.

Last week when we were at DtD we were walking by ESPN zone and passed a group of guys talking. So maybe what, 15-20 seconds of time when we could actually hear them.

The guy must have said **** (the 'f' word) at least 10 times.

The conversation went something like this ... I went out to my ****ing car and turned the ****ing key and drove to the ****ing store and got some ****ing milk for my ****ing mom ... well, you get it.

I wanted to tell him to go **** himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    Curious that you swear while mountain biking.
    Those are usually near-falls or when the front wheel goes all wonky on me and I'm trying to force it back where I want it.

I've done well lately and haven't had any actual falls for a while. I'm a bit vocal when I fall.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I admit I have a terrible potty mouth. I sprinkle everything I say liberally with curse words. It's a bad habit left over from 4th grade when I would do everything I could to be like my big brother and his friends. My daughter is not allowed to curse. I know she does when she is with her friends, but she wouldn't be caught dead cursing in front of me or she knows I'd kick her azz. However, she is also aware that words are just that: words. She knows better than to give them any kind of power they don't deserve.
    Does that mean I'll have to wash your mouth out with tequila at the Cove Bar? I guess I'll have to buy you a shot for each curse word you use. Hmmm no wait. That could get expensive! What was I thinking?!?!?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast