Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Swearing in Public - your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDarian View Post
    Does that mean I'll have to wash your mouth out with tequila at the Cove Bar? I guess I'll have to buy you a shot for each curse word you use. Hmmm no wait. That could get expensive! What was I thinking?!?!?
    Silly rabbit.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• See what I got?

For those who do swear, but are careful not to do it around children- I cannot thank you enough! My 4 yo DS picks up everything he hears, so I am extra vigilant about what he hears (I myself am not a swearer, and neither are the rest of my family or friends). There have been a few occasions when we eat at a restaurant when the people around us are quite potty-mouthed, and it makes me furious! If I think it will do any good, I politely and discreetly ask them not to swear and point to the kids. If not, we just move elsewhere, or try to distract the kids as much as possible. Overall, I don't like it, but I really hate it when people do it in front of my kids.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

I really try not to swear at all. But sometimes it just slips out. Like when I was under a friend's toyota truck changing his transmission out the guy rolls the floor jack over the hair on my head pulling out a large clump of hair.

It's important to be a good example, especially when around kids. Actions do speak louder than words. Instead of cursing you could call someone a fetid running boil on the buttocks of God. Or all sorts of creative things without resorting to the overly used "curse" words.

By the way, rumor has it the Puritans invented the "F-word." Remember how they used to put offenders in stocks? Over their heads they would put the crime they had committed. Sometimes that crime was abbreviated from "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" to simply the first letter of each word. Your MiceChat history lesson for the day.
    Last edited by DisneyDarian; 07-12-2007 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typing errors.

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDarian View Post
    By the way, rumor has it the Puritans invented the "F-word." Remember how they used to put offenders in stocks? Over their heads they would put the crime they had committed. Sometimes that crime was abbreviated from "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" to simply the first letter of each word. Your MiceChat history lesson for the day.
    Also the title of a van halen album. The first CD I ever purchased for myself back in the day.

• Minion

I heard that the f word was put over the bedrooms of english pesants in the 17th century, and it stood for "Fernicating under the consent of the king"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Wikipedia has a pretty long description of where it came from. I had always heard it was what DisneyDarian said.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    it sounds like you're not the only one.

I suppose when I was a teenager I had a potty mouth, but it was something I grew out of. I always thought it was a phase...guess not.
    my it is when i was younger i did it a lot but no that im 20 not very much at all

•   
    • So fetch

I have a potty mouth. Alcohol makes it worse. I do watch what I say in public and around kids. I slip occasionally but it's not the end of the world to those around me. I don't care if people say something once in front of my kid and usually those people apologize. I will tell my brothers to shut up if they say too many in front of Lil LL.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    Also the title of a van halen album. The first CD I ever purchased for myself back in the day.

Yeah that was a great album.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Wikipedia has a pretty long description of where it came from. I had always heard it was what DisneyDarian said.
    So... what's the REAL skinny on that naughty word?!?!? Enquiring twisted minds want to know...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345