Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• For You!

Swearing in Public - your thoughts?

I know that everyone on the planet has different morals, ideals, values, whatever. But, most people were raised to be polite in public.

Having said that, we were in WDW a couple of weeks ago and I just couldn't belive what some people said in lines and all over the park. My kids kept pointing out what people said and saying that's a bad word, etc.

Then last week at Lake Powell, Utah, we had some lovely boat neighbors that decided to get up at 4 am and announce how "f'ing" wonderful they were.

So, I'm just wondering, am I the only one that finds this incredibly rude and offensive? I don't care what you say at home or in your little circle, but shouldn't people have a little class when they go out?

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Re: Swearing in Public - your thoughts?

I'm with you!! I hate how common cursing has become. In my family we were raised not to use those words and I'm not saying that I don't use them...I just make sure that there are no children around when I do....children or my parents....I used the word "damn" in front of my mom last year and she freaked out at me!

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

I know that I have a potty mouth...sometimes it's worse than other times. And really, I'd rather not speak in such a way. I think it can be very ugly and crass. Unfortunately, I hear such language used around me so often that it creeps into my vocabulary and I end up using it. It's a shame, but the pervasiveness of it makes it nearly impossible to escape. And the more it's used in normal conversation, the less people care about using it themselves.
    But do you think that the more a curse word is used the less "meaning" it has? I don't think that a** has the same impact it did when I was a child...
    Hmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

IMO It has gotten out of hand. My perception of people that swear a lot is that they are low class and uneducated.

• Banned User

I am with you Jen, it grosses me out and does not impress me at all . Just immature in my book. you can do what you want in your own home, but why subject others to your potty mouth? with kids around ? immature !

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I know that I have a potty mouth...sometimes it's worse than other times. And really, I'd rather not speak in such a way. I think it can be very ugly and crass. Unfortunately, I hear such language used around me so often that it creeps into my vocabulary and I end up using it. It's a shame, but the pervasiveness of it makes it nearly impossible to escape. And the more it's used in normal conversation, the less people care about using it themselves.
    But do you think that the more a curse word is used the less "meaning" it has? I don't think that a** has the same impact it did when I was a child...
    Hmmm.
    I used to have a potty mouth in my 20's but then I had a boss who made me pay a quarter every time I swore. At the end of a week I realized how much of my language was not appropriate and decided to change it. I swear rarely now and only in my house. So now when my hubby hears me swear he knows that I am really upset.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    IMO It has gotten out of hand. My perception of people that swear a lot is that they are low class and uneducated.
    While that could quite be a true perception, some of the most brilliant, upper-class citizens have potty mouths.

For example -- I have a friend that has a nice job as a college professor at OSU.

Then, in the more famous examples, Penn & Teller. I'm sure you wouldn't exactly call them low class and uneducated.

In fact, there's barely a place where you can find it just completely unacceptable. Some places are just a little more hidden from the common eye. From the churches to the zoo, it's out there...

But, there's a time and place for everything. Just know where that time and place is.
    -Tim

• Again! Again! Again!

I have tendancies where I swear a lot, but I am also aware of my surroundings.

Oh and I have a college degree.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

What in the BLEEP are you BLEEPing talking about? I BLEEPing cus all the BLEEPing time and I BLEEPing went to BLEEPing college. What about BLEEPing Walt BLEEPing Disney? He BLEEPing chain smoked, BLEEPing drank, and BLEEPing cuss like a BLEEPing sailor.

You know I'm BLEEPing joking right? LOL
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

So now when my hubby hears me swear he knows that I am really upset.

I try and save those words for when I really need them, too. Lately though, I've been cussing in Spanish so it's more secrety.
    A signature should go here.

I probably swear too much. I do try to make sure that there aren't too many people around.

The most recent time I remember cussing was on the mountain bike trail when I nearly wreck or the wheel goes off the trail and I have to work to get it back where it belongs. Then I do cuss. There are degrees of cussing though, and if hubby hears a certain note and phrasing he knows something's wrong. Most of the time nothing's wrong and I'm just unnerved by the trail and all but I have fallen a time or six.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Here's question. Who would you choose to hang around with. Someone who occasionally swears in public? Or someone who is a 2 faced snot who plays people against each other for their every whim, claiming to be a sweet and wonderful person, but who has a heart of black? I think I'd choose the swearer, at least they are up front about themselves.

I like swearing, and I do it a lot. BUT, I also try really hard not to do so in public situations, particularly when kids are present. I often catch myself at times saying something "crass" and then feel bad about it.

Oh and I, too, have a college degree

•   
    • Kerplookee

Time and place.

College degree here also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I admit, I swear a lot. I try not to do it when there are kids around, but occasionally a word or 2 slip out.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

I work with three men, and it can get pretty bad around here, and I find myself not realizing what is coming out of my mouth.

I try not to curse in public, but sometimes it just comes out... but I do watch my mouth when I am around any child.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast