Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Disneyland in HDR photography

I'm intrigued, and the examples you provided are beautiful... but I feel dense in not understanding how these images are accomplished? If the single image is composed of several images, how do you successfully make an HDR image of moving things, for example, the Cinderella and her prince on the parade float?

Obviously, I'm missing something here.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Neep meep beep

I like the Partners shot also. Except for merging in HDR, and doing "tone mapping", no other effects were used. The look is a hallmark of HDR done badly (in my opinion), but the intent is the same - to take the best areas of each of several photographs, and merge them together so you have one highly detailed image with loss of data in dark spots or blown out lighting in light spots.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I'm intrigued, and the examples you provided are beautiful... but I feel dense in not understanding how these images are accomplished? If the single image is composed of several images, how do you successfully make an HDR image of moving things, for example, the Cinderella and her prince on the parade float?

I am wondering the same thing.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post

No problem. The Cinderella/Parade HDR is misleading, because it was done using a single raw image. Because a RAW datafile allows you to change exposure up to four stops positive or negative, you can make three copies of one RAW file, and then expose one properly, expose one several stops darker, and expose the other several stops lighter. When merged, the HDR image has all the data of three shots, but doesn't have the blur from obviously different shots.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    No problem. The Cinderella/Parade HDR is misleading, because it was done using a single raw image. Because a RAW datafile allows you to change exposure up to four stops positive or negative, you can make three copies of one RAW file, and then expose one properly, expose one several stops darker, and expose the other several stops lighter. When merged, the HDR image has all the data of three shots, but doesn't have the blur from obviously different shots.
    Ah, I see. That makes sense.

| | |

• i need Disneyland!

wowwww awesome picshures!
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

I thought I was holding it correctly.

• Neep meep beep

People definitely have different opinions on HDR, but in my opinion, a HDR image should look natural. The HDR that looks like it was painted with a brush or had special photoshop effects applied isn't effective HDR, in my opinion - the images don't look crisp, and you can get effects like that easier by just skipping HDR and using an art filter in photoshop.

Natural HDR should look like this:

Or even better, like this (notice the texture on the dress from the wind and the three shots capturing different things):

On the other hand, overprocessing gives a cartoon art image like this (which some people LOVE, don't get me wrong):

• :)

So when taking these images, How long does the delay need to be between each shot?

• Neep meep beep

Many digital SLRs just take three shots under a setting made to "rapid fire" the shutter. It doesn't matter how far apart they are, just that they be different. My camera has a setting where it will take three shots up to 2 exposure values apart, but you can also take one shot at one shutter speed, another at a different speed, and so on. It's not recommended that you change the aperture, as that can affect the depth of field and make parts of your photos out of focus that you might not want out of focus.

• :)

That sounds very interesting..I've never heard of this effect and I took years of Digital Photography and video classes...I've got photoshop so I think i'll try to turn one of my pics into a HDR photo..is it hard to learn with PSHOP? (cs)

• Neep meep beep

Not at all - I have CS3 and it's really one button operation - there's a special feature built in just for HDR, and photoshop does the rest. The program I mentioned, Photomatix, also has a free download and trial period, and may I recommend a GREAT tutorial...

from the guy that did a couple of the images above... explaining exactly how to do a HDR (or how he does it), at:

http://stuckincustoms.com/2006/06/06/548/

• Minion

this new thing is amazing!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    Not at all - I have CS3 and it's really one button operation - there's a special feature built in just for HDR, and photoshop does the rest. The program I mentioned, Photomatix, also has a free download and trial period, and may I recommend a GREAT tutorial...

from the guy that did a couple of the images above... explaining exactly how to do a HDR (or how he does it), at:

http://stuckincustoms.com/2006/06/06/548/
    Thanks for the info. I'll need to look into upgrading to CS3, as I'm still using CS.

| | |

• World Traveler

WOW WOW WOW. Those are SO amazing. I wonder if my camera has that.

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

OMG. These picture are incredible!!! Wish I was tech saavy enough to try and do them myself, but it would probably come out a big old mess, haha. I'm not really sure I even understand it. But man, AMAZING photography. What they can't do these days, eh?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast