Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland in HDR photography

The images are interesting, as is the technology, but the hyper-realism makes them look . . . well . . . fake. Maybe I'm missing something, but most of these pictures just leave me cold.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post

-- from McWild - (?)

-- from ddestudio - (?)
    These two are my favorites. Very striking images. The second one in particular reminds me a little of some of the shots from Michael Mann's movie Miami Vice, which was photographed primarily with digital cameras (specifically Thomson Grass Valley Vipers, Sony CineAlta T950 CCD Block Adapters and Sony Cine Alta F900s).

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Wow. Just... wow! This is an amazing technique! Like others have said... I'm lucky if I get half way decent snap shots! Its so wonderful that we have so many talented photogs around here willing to share their work!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Membre

OMG! it's so beautiful !!!!!!!!!

• Shubisha

hmm it's a very cool effect but i'm wondering about its description as attempting to portray things accurately... it's very artistic and seems to posterize most things more than make it feel accurate. anything you can elaborate on that? i know these are just a few samples(very good ones at that, i wish there was a larger size for that hat one)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    i wish there was a larger size for that hat one)
    There is, thankfully, the person whose copy Frogberto used had apparently swiped it from the actual photographer, Trey "Stuck in Customs" Ratcliff (who does incredible HDR work - check out his Thailand collection, it's just amazing):

Here are the larger sizes, including the original photo.

http://stuckincustoms.com/ Ratcliff's blog. Well worth bookmarking.
    Last edited by TiaDalmaFan; 07-13-2007 at 05:23 AM.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    There is, thankfully, the person whose copy Frogberto used had apparently swiped it from the actual photographer, Trey "Stuck in Customs" Ratcliff (who does incredible HDR work - check out his Thailand collection, it's just amazing):

Here are the larger sizes, including the original photo.

http://stuckincustoms.com/ Ratcliff's blog. Well worth bookmarking.
    Yes, you are correct, thank you! I knew that Ratcliff did the Mickey hat shot, but I didn't realize that the page I linked to was someone else's - thanks for the sharp eye. And I mentioned the blog a page or two back, but it is worth checking out, if you're interested in beautiful photographs, or HDR processing.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    hmm it's a very cool effect but i'm wondering about its description as attempting to portray things accurately... it's very artistic and seems to posterize most things more than make it feel accurate. anything you can elaborate on that? i know these are just a few samples(very good ones at that, i wish there was a larger size for that hat one)
    The description of HDR isn't that it portrays things accurately - more that it has a higher range of light levels than a typical photograph. As you can expect, merging three 8 to 12 megapixel photos together ends up with a result that is a huge file. However, the data has information across a wider range that allows the computer to choose the best areas from each merged photograph and not have spots that are excessively white, or excessively dark, both of which result in a loss of data.

For example, the first photo was one of three taken for a HDR composition:

Notice the spot in the lower right so bright you can't make out any details in that area. Notice the area in the upper left (the forest area) that is so dark you can't make out details because of the darkness. That's typical for a lot of photos, and most people don't even notice - wilderness photos have a lot of dark spots in trees and rocks, and any direct sunlight or reflection usually "washes out" a photo.

Then, the photographer combined the image above and two others:

-- from Larsthrows - (?)

Note that the "cartoon painting" look is NOT necessarily part of HDR. As I mentioned above, that's bad HDR, in my opinion (although I know others like that look).

And, most people probably wouldn't even notice - but it does allow photographs to contain more information, which allows the composer of the photos to bring out more details overall in a photograph, and make the final product look more beautiful.

• :)

I'm self teaching myself this stuff and its pretty tough, heres the first one I've made. It's pretty bad.

IMAGE 1

IMAGE 2

IMAGE 3

I'm not sure if I did it correctly...Frogberto or anybody else more experienced if you have any pointers let me know! I've been trying to get that unrealistic look like the other images I see...But here was the final outcome of the one I did.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234