• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Thumbs down Potential strike at the LA Ports - What do you think?

Has anyone here heard about the potential strike that will happen at the port of L.A.? I find it utterly ridiculous and I must find a job there. Just look at how much they make...

http://www.kfwb.com/pages/663192.php...ntentId=675315

Re: Potential strike at the LA Ports - What do you think?

Didn't they just go on strike a year or two ago?
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I believe they might have. They mention their last contract ended in 2004 before this one ended. But every first Thursday of the month, they do this little "Stop Work Meeting" for the night shift (when the containers normally go to their destinations) and it makes the rest of the weeks pretty crowded. I work at a company who has containers come in with product and it's always a pain in our @55es when they can do whatever they want. Did you see how much they make an hour? This is what makes me annoyed the most...
    Under their most recent contract, full-time, port clerical workers earned about $37.50 an hour, or $78,000 a year. They also receive a pension, health care benefits free of premiums and 20 paid holidays a year.
    Among the issues in which both sides remain apart is a proposal by the employers that would separate current and future hires under a two-tiered class for health benefits, said Fageaux. Under the proposal, he said, new hires would have less choice in their medical plan that current hires.
    Both sides also remain at odds over what the monthly pension benefit level for retirees should be, Fageaux said.

• Gay Man

Port of LA is the busiest port on the West Coast. When it shuts down it has a HUGE impact on commerce.

The hourly rate doesn't seem off to me for such a highly impactful operation, but I have high standards and expect to be paid what my job is worth.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Just another example of how Unions hold the economy hostage to get what they want.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• A Ghost at Disneyland

That's no joke that a strike at the LA port would really mess things up. Think of how almost everything is made offshore now. Those oil tankers and container ships are really going to back up. There will be a fleet of them off the LA coast in no time.

I wouldn't be too hard on the union. Executive salaries have gone up to ridiculously high levels and no one complains. But pay a worker more than $8.00 an hour and all heck breaks loose. Remember when Eisner got compensated $40 million dollars for one year's work? I could see him getting paid $500k but but $40 mill is just obscene. If all that cash were distributed to other Disney employees then perhaps they MIGHT even get a living wage. What a concept! At least those folks at the Port of LA still make a decent wage.

Just for the record, I'm a former Teamster. Who else is going to fight for you if not the union?

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDarian View Post
    That's no joke that a strike at the LA port would really mess things up. Think of how almost everything is made offshore now. Those oil tankers and container ships are really going to back up. There will be a fleet of them off the LA coast in no time.

I wouldn't be too hard on the union. Executive salaries have gone up to ridiculously high levels and no one complains. But pay a worker more than $8.00 an hour and all heck breaks loose. Remember when Eisner got compensated $40 million dollars for one year's work? I could see him getting paid $500k but but $40 mill is just obscene. If all that cash were distributed to other Disney employees then perhaps they MIGHT even get a living wage. What a concept! At least those folks at the Port of LA still make a decent wage.

Just for the record, I'm a former Teamster. Who else is going to fight for you if not the union?
    Hey, at least the executives don't try and shut down the economy to make more money.

How is the Union fighting for me? By holding product hostage and raising the costs of goods coming into this country?

The Unions are an outdated concept that does nothing but damage the economy. If you don't think you are being paid enough, go find another job.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• That Guy

I don't know enough about the issue, but that wage doesn't seem that out of control to me. Considering one shipping container can have well over $100,000 worth of cargo, I don't think that salary is too much.

People say the same thing about physicians making too much, which I also consider bull****, considering they are responsible for lives.

If you want to go after overpaid professions, how bout we look at professional athletes, who make millions with often just a high school education....

I complain about executive salaries. More than dockworkers, who actually do something useful.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Comin' at ya!

I don't know what to think because i haven't clicked on the link
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Goofy

Cooperate executives make too much money and some baseball atheletes as well.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDarian View Post
    $78K a year for a secretary? How are you comparing $8 an hour to what the Union workers are making?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I don't know enough about the issue, but that wage doesn't seem that out of control to me. Considering one shipping container can have well over $100,000 worth of cargo, I don't think that salary is too much.
    If the Unions owned the product coming in, the containers they were shipped on, or the ships the containers were shipped on, I would agree with you. As it is, the value of what is in the containers has no bearing on what they are paid.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I complain about executive salaries. More than dockworkers, who actually do something useful.
    I'm complaining about Unions that feel like they can hold us hostage to get there way. There are PLENTY of Union workers that aren;t doing anything useful on the clock, go to your local grocery store to see them in action.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring